[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have both regular firefox and firefox developer edition installed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 204x204) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 204x204
I have both regular firefox and firefox developer edition installed. I want to make .swf files always open in developer edition by default. but it will not let me select it. when i do

>find .swf file
>right click -> open with -> choose default program

developer edition does not appear in the list. so i select browse, navigate to the dev edition folder, select the .exe and hit okay, and it goes back to the original 'open with' screen with -regular- firefox STILL selected and no dev edition icon to be seen.

I know i fixed this once before but I can't for the life of me remember how, and i'm not finding a way to google the issue that doesn't just net me a thousand pages of "here's how to set ___ as your default browser"
>>
File: Capture.jpg (87 KB, 842x546) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
87 KB, 842x546
>>138511
>>
>>138511
Do you attempt to open the file in dev. edition when normal firefox is open?
>>
>>138532
i hadn't but i just tried and it exhibits the same behavior

to be clear, I am ABLE to open .swf from -within- dev edition using the standard file menu -> open file.

i just want to be able to open them from windows explorer the same way i'd open an html file or whatever without having to open the browser and re-navigate to a file i'm already looking at.

it also appears this isn't exclusive to .swf, I can't associate ANYTHING with firefox dev edition that wasn't associated by default when I installed it (e.g. .pdf or .htm will open in dev edition, but if i try to use 'open with' on a .jpg or anything else i get the same issue where developer edition is not a selectable option)
>>
this is in windows 7 btw
>>
>>138536
I wouldn't recommend this, but you can try changing the default registry value for HKCR > .swf to the dev. edition executable path.
>>
>>138542
eh, I exported a backup so if it fucks something up i can always just undo it.

help me out here, though, by HKCR i'm guessing you mean

>hkey_classes_root
>>.swf
?

which value am I changing. the value for .swf is currently "swf_auto_file" and it has a couple of sub values
>>>OpenWithList
>>>>IExplore.exe

both of which are (value not set), so nothing with a filepath to switch
>>
File: regkey.png (30 KB, 790x223) Image search: [Google]
regkey.png
30 KB, 790x223
>>138545
replace the data for (Default) with the path to the developer executable, e.g. "%ProgramFiles%\Firefox Developer Edition\Firefox.exe" (quotes included)
>>
did that, restarted, no effect.

even if it did work it wouldn't address the actual problem of being unable to associate ANYTHING with the dev edition in the normal fashion. (although I appreciate the effort)
>>
are you just trying to view .swf files? if so, download Adobe Flash Player from the Adobe website, look for the latest standalone/projector player:

https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

afterwards right click on the swf file and open with the player, selecting the option to open from now on
>>
>>138592
no, i think you've missed the point here. i'm trying to associate any file type with firefox dev edition (swf, png, jpg, gif, anything) but windows won't let me.
>>
>>138596
if you're on windows..
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-file-associations-windows
>>
File: bullshit.jpg (567 KB, 846x1811) Image search: [Google]
bullshit.jpg
567 KB, 846x1811
>>138597
yeah, that doesn't work either.
>>
>>138615
i think you need to hit "ok" in that last screenshot
>>
>>138627
i did, in every permutation. doesn't do anything, the files open in regular firefox.
>>
>>138628
i wonder if its because it has the same filename as the original firefox exe.. have you tried renaming it to firefox2.exe? not sure if it will make a difference but its worth a shot
>>
File: YES_YES_(Mr._Bison).jpg (8 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
YES_YES_(Mr._Bison).jpg
8 KB, 300x168
>>138630
hah, you goddamn genius. that fixed it. I can't believe it would be something so inane and simple. ten thousand Internets to you good sir.
>>
>>138635
glad it worked! :D
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.