[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
SSD Installation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: behind7proxies.jpg (56 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
behind7proxies.jpg
56 KB, 500x350
So basically I could use a little bit of guidance with installing an SSD I recently got as my new system drive. I am not tech illiterate, but I do want to make this as easy as possible.

Right now I have two HDDs inside my computer. I'm slightly poor so I have one 300gb HDD as my system drive (containing basically only my OS and my program files) and then a 1 TB HDD containing media.

My largest question is whether or not my 1 TB drive will need any special treatment or if I can just wipe my system drive, install my OS onto the SSD and then still be able to access and use the other HDD like before.

I do backup my system and can restore from that, though I don't mind a fresh install.
>>
>>152930
you install them the exact same way you would a normal hard drive (on the software/system side anyway, obviously the object is physically different).

>can [I] just wipe my system drive, install my OS onto the SSD and then still be able to access and use the other HDD like before?

yes

hell, wiping the system drive isn't even required, you could just install the OS on the SSD and then selectively delete whatever is no longer necessary on the old system drive and keep the rest. I tend to keep programs I rarely use / don't really require fast load times on my HDD just to keep extra space free on my SSD.
>>
Not them but on the subject of ssd installation how do set it so my os downloads onto that instead my hdd in a fresh build?

Is it easier to unplug the hdd while installing the os? Then afterward how do I set it so files download onto my hdd instead?
>>
>>152939
OP here, thanks for the insightful reply.

I'm gonna follow suit and just leave the other program files on my old HDD.

>>152945
I am not sure exactly what you are asking.
When you are installing the OS it will display all connected drives and give you options for them such as formatting, etc. You just select the drive you want to install the OS onto, and it will. If you want to do a fresh install you format the drive first, but there should be nothing on the SSD already.

About setting files to download onto the HDD, I am not sure what files you mean. If you mean just photos, and other media that you download off the internet, you will be asked by the OS where you want to save them.
>>
>>152930
Or you could just not bother with any of that shit, and download PrimoCache, spend ten seconds installing it, and have SSD speeds off both your hard disks.

It automatically caches the data you actually use, rather than wasting your expensive SSD on WindowsUpdate.log and hundreds of gigabytes of MSI files Windows Installer keeps around just in case.

So it's easier, yet it's also faster.
>>
>>153083
Literally never heard of it, it sounds like bait.
Also if your windows installation takes up hundreds of gigs you are doing something wrong.
>>
>>153236
Meh, your loss.

Enjoy fannying about doing the OS's job.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.