[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have never watched anime, i thought i could start with Cowboy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8
File: cowboy-bebop_00355803.jpg (296 KB, 1600x1056) Image search: [Google]
cowboy-bebop_00355803.jpg
296 KB, 1600x1056
I have never watched anime, i thought i could start with Cowboy Bebop. Is it a good choice? is there a best anime to begin with?
>>
>>13692
I think a lot of people who are new to anime watch Cowboy Bepop.

I think it's fine.

There are better anime out there, but I think they'd turn off beginners to anime.

My first anime was FLCL though.
>>
>>13697

Ok, thanks. Well i like some space/future (sci fi) stuff, do you know any good
>>
>>13692
watch either Trigun or Cowboy Bepop, just to get a feel for the older stuff. Then watch Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
do NOT watch full metal alchemist.
>>
>>13704
>>13697

is ghost in the shell any good?
>>
I think Deathnote is the safest option. It's mainstream and actually very good, and you don't need to know anything about anime or Japa ESE culture.

Code geass is also alright. Bebop is very good too.
>>
Don't start with Cowboy Bebop.

You'll end up thinking every anime is Cowboy Bebop and then being mad that it isn't.

Start with something like Code Geass, a modern-ish Gundam, or Madoka. Cowboy Bebop is the worst possible show to get a taste for the medium.

>>13704
Cowboy Bebop doesn't even represent the old stuff. It does as much as OPM represents new shit.
>>
>>13732
I dont like chidren and singing stuff, i like more serius stuff and even better if it was with a futuristic theme
>>
>>13737
If you're going to be watching anime for the long run, watch the stuff I recommended. It's still serious but it represents what you're going to get with most anime.
>>
>>13714
No it sucks worst anime fuck it
>>
>>13714
Yes
>>
>>13732
No, don't start with Madoka, you need experience to appreciate it.
>>13692
Try something like Death Note or Steins;Gate or Black Lagoon. You want serious but are casual, so these have good Dubs and are closer to what you seem to be wanting. Anime is a massive medium, and the deeper you lurk the more varied the shit you will find. Stay away from "Masterpieces" for now because you won't see what the fuss is about without a reference point. Enjoy some popcorn flicks like the previous or Gurren Lagann before Bebop.
>>
File: 1447537831328.gif (1015 KB, 500x271) Image search: [Google]
1447537831328.gif
1015 KB, 500x271
>>13714
Its GREAT. But you should watch Cowboy Bebop first.
>>
>>13692
Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood is a superb first anime
>>
>>13864
While Steins;Gate is in fact incredible, the chunni atmosphere at the beginning might put people off if it's their first anime.
>>
>>13939
chuuni*
Sorry, I am retarded.
>>
>>13923
Bruh this will make them never able to enjoy another anime ever again.
>>
>>13692
Just watch whatever the fuck you want, anime isn't some sort of deep medium that you need an introduction to. You'll end up watching little girl SoL no matter what you do.
>>
>>13692
Its a good choice for first as it has a heavy western influence and a great dub
Alot of new people get turned off of anme because of getting smacked in the face witch Japaneses culture without knowing anything about it or having to read subtitles
Just watch whatever sounds interesting to you anon
>is there a best anime to begin with?
Not really it depends on the taste of the person trying to get into anime
>>
>>13692
That's fine; you're pretty much required as an anime fan to watch it eventually anyway, so you might as well watch it first, and a lot of people do. My first anime was Lucky Star. Don't listen to people's objections, they don't make any sense.
>>
>>13692
Go ahead, Cowboy Bebop is great. But don't let it color your expectations of what the medium is supposed to be like because episodic sci-fi westerns are not the norm even among sci-fi anime.

After you finish Cowboy Bebop, watch shows like Gurren Lagann, Usagi Drop, Aoi Bungaku, and Mushishi to get a feel for different genres.
>>
File: 1449286616673.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1449286616673.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>13973
>You'll end up watching little girl SoL no matter what you do.

this
>>
>>13692
Here's the thing. Don't disregard anything said in this thread, but if you want to invest some time to the medium, even a little, then:

1) Get a My Anime List (MAL) account. It's easy to track anything you plan to or have already watched.
There's an unofficial Android app that works very well called Pocket MAL.

2) Bebop, Madoka, Fullmetal, Trigun, Death Note, or whatever is all good. Pretty much a MAL score of 7.0+ is a good rule of thumb to get you off the ground.

3) Branch out. If you stick with Sci-fi stuff, you will run out faster than you'd think. Adventure is a broad genre but serves well into lots of categories.
I started like you wanting only comedies, but you will find more to watch if you explore just a little bit.

4) Non-comitment is a non-issue. If you don't like it, don't keep watching it. It's ok to move on to something else.

5) Stay away from moe-shit. That means pretty much just little girls doing cute things. If it looks questionable, then do a Google image search of it first.
As an example, Madoka Magica looks like it'd be moe-shit, but its actually darker than the ass-end of Africa.

Things you should watch to get a feel for what you'd like:

Aldnoah.Zero (giant mechs)
Angel Beats (comedy/drama)
Another (horor/psychological)
Chuunibyou (little girls doing cute things)
Cowboy Bebop (sci-fi)
Death Note (psychological/thriller)
Fullmetal Alchemist (both) (sci-fi/action)
Good Luck Girl (comedy)
No Game No Life (adventure)
Soul Eater (action/adventure)
Trigun (sci-fi/western)

You'd likely watch a half of these anyways. They all have a low bar of entry and are all in English.
They are good starting points, regardless of who tells you what show sucks ass. Form your own opinion of each show.
>>
>>14137
Oh, and Ryuanime.com is a good place to start streaming these shows
>>
>>14148
No, he shouldn't stream shit. He can get it in higher quality if he torrents shit.
>>
Hey guys. I've only seen naruto, bleach, champloo, afro samurai and some episodes of one piece. Can I get any recs for similar shows but with villain groups where each member had different powers and skills such as akatsuki and espada?
>>
File: 1446083059788.jpg (12 KB, 201x262) Image search: [Google]
1446083059788.jpg
12 KB, 201x262
>>14163
You're better off watching better anime
>>
>>14152
You think a newbie cares how he watches shit when its objectively easier to stream an episode than search for a possibly bullshit torrent?

Always keep your options open regardless
>>
>>14180
Yeah. It's not that hard to find a torrent. Just go to Nyaa or BakaBT and search for the show and then download a torrent. It doesn't take that long and your eyes and ears will thank you for it. I mean just because you're new to anime doesn't mean you have no standards or even preferences for media or somehow can't copy and paste the title of a show, press enter, and then click on the link that says [coalgirls] Baka to Test 1080p or whatever it is.
>>
>>14175
yeah thats why I asked for recommendation m8. Hate anime featuring highschool girls or all that drama nonsense.
>>
>>14232
There's a lot of good recommendations in this thread. Search up a description of each in google and watch whatever seams interesting
>>
>>14137
Honestly unless you're underage you won't like most of those.
>>
>>13714
The problem with GitS is that if you know nothing about animation you can't realise how well animated it is
You can start with it but you should watch it a second time after you get a wider view of the medium

>>14238
All anime are for underage, adults read books and watch real movies
>>
>>13692
If you want to watch anime and get what you expect, watch these
K-On (Slice of life)
Yuru-Yuri (slice of life, yuri)
Sakura Trick (slice of life, yuri)
Toradora (comedy, slice of life)
Strawberry Panic (Yuri, Slice of life)
Non Non Biyori (slice of life)
Sasameki Koto (Yuri)
AnoHana (Drama)

Though I do watch anime for escapism, so it might be a bit much
>>
>>14163
Watch Angel's Egg, Perfect Blue, Princess Kaguya, Evangelion, Nausicaa, Ghost in the Shell, FLCL, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, Serial Experiments Lain, Belladonna of Sadness, Mononoke and Tatami Galaxy

If you like any of those, check out what other works their directors made and see those.
>>
>>14247
>All anime are for underage, adults read books and watch real movies
Then why aren't anime creators all underage? I mean seriously, have you ever recommended any of those to someone out of middle school and saw them like it? Maybe besides Bebop, possibly Trigun?

Aldnoah Zero, Angel Beats, Another... Terrible recommendations. It's as if someone wanted to check out what cinema has to offer and you told him to watch American Pie, Scarry Movie and Twilight.
>>
>>14137

Holy shit so many of these are bad.

this is why asking for anime recs is a terrible idea
>>
how is Bezerk? I love demon soul's.
>>
>>13692
In addition to what has been recommended, if you're interested in a good comedy for laughs, try out these anime:

Love Lab, Space Dandy, Samurai Flamenco, Ouran High School Host Club, and Galaxy Angel.
>>
I think the best anime to begin with are the kind that could easily have been live-action, so yeah Cowboy Bebop is a solid choice.

Also recommending Area 88 OVA (don't be put off by the age, it's visually stunning) and Darker than Black.
>>
File: 1385773187169.png (162 KB, 457x450) Image search: [Google]
1385773187169.png
162 KB, 457x450
>>14282
>>14291
Fucking connoisseurs of Chinese cartoons
>>
>>14137

>Fullmetal Alchemist (both)
>(both)

Why? Brotherhood is better plus half of the original anime is in it. Waste of time.
>>
>>14293

It's pretty grim low fantasy stuff, which you don't really see much in anime. I really like it.
>>
Utena.

The only answer is Utena.
>>
>>14426
Half of the original anime is in roughly the first 3-8 episodes, so the characterization you would have gotten had you watched them in order is lost on the viewer.
Brotherhood just assumes that you've already watched 2003, so they skipped all the, "hey, you should like this character because he's relatable," moments.
>>
>>14278
thanks m8
>>
>>14282
Enjoyment of anime doesn't depend on age, but on general knowledge of the medium and size of the neckbeard. A 15 years old can hate an anime an adult with little experience in it would like. Referring to concept such as "underage" is only parroting grumpy old men who try to use their old age as an argument of authority
>>
>>14587
I guess you're right, even in primary school I'd realize those shows are shit.
>>
>>13714
Yes, especially if you're new to anime the two Stand Alone Complex series and their spin off movie are great
Personally I like the two movies more but I think you have to be a little into film to really enjoy them
>>
>>14587
Yeah, but even if you're a smart teenager, you're probably going to be an even smarter adult. And one's taste is partially about one's intelligence. But it's also about experience, and similarly, if you're a teenager, then your experience is going to be limited compared to a more experienced adult. And emotional maturity is a factor as well. So for these reasons I would say that age is a factor in one's enjoyment of anime. But where I agree totally with you is that there are tons of adults, most adults really, with absolute shit taste. Just because you're an adult, doesn't mean that you have good taste, not at all. And there are some teenagers with fairly good or, depending on your opinion, at least above average taste. But age is a factor, maybe a crude one, but it still is.
>>
cowboy bebop is a fine start. after that watch neon genesis evangelion. those are two of the best animes.
>>
>>13692
they're all wrong, just go watch Elfen Lied, it's not that good, but it's short and it has all the elements to understand if you like anime or not. After you finish it you may want more or you'll just think you need to stop with this shit.
>>
Entry level anime:

Cowboy Bebop
Death Note
Ghost in the Shell SAC
Gurren Lagaan
Code Geass
Neon Genesis Evangelion (no really)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Attack on Titan
>>
>>14078
What anime is this?
>>
>>14785
Love Lab.
>>
My dad is 75. He has Highschool Of The Dead and Internal Medicine. Good start to his collection?
>>
File: 1432675467898.gif (243 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1432675467898.gif
243 KB, 500x500
>>14793
Thanks, friendly anime fans! I always knew we could always count on you!
>>
File: 14475473608591.jpg (183 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
14475473608591.jpg
183 KB, 1920x1080
>>13692

I practically began with Neon Genesis Evangelion, probably will move onto Cowboy Bebop. You don't wanna miss Eva, really
>>
Might as well. I can't imagine you disliking it, so it'll just interest you in trying more.
>>
>>15396
Have you seen the movie End of Evangelion too?
>>
File: 2400807d617f6c96ead423c9c0b8b0b5.jpg (456 KB, 1120x1120) Image search: [Google]
2400807d617f6c96ead423c9c0b8b0b5.jpg
456 KB, 1120x1120
>watching anime for ~ONLY~ good stories and epic manliness
I remember I used to lie to myself too. Just admit you like the cute anime girls already. It saves a couple of years of that awkward transition.
>>
>>15609
I never watched it for the cute girls. But I do like anime with attractive women, both design-wise and personality-wise. I think Black Lagoon was the first time I realized I prefer watching female characters to male characters.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.