[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Math Problem
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: asdf.png (228 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
228 KB, 1366x768
I found this problem in an old math exam and I am not able to solve it:
A credit card number has 14 digits and the sum of any three consecutive digits is 20. What is the value of x?
_ _ _ 9 _ _ _ x _ _ _ 7 _ _
Can anyone solve it with and explanation?
>>
>>134654
I don't see any fancy solution.
There are 12 variables and 12 equations. This can be solved.
>>
>>134654
easy
9 4 7 9 4 7 9 x 7 9 4 7 9 4
x has to be 4
>>
>>134658
you're missing the point. if the fourth digit is 9, then the second and third must add up to 11, so that second+third+fourth=20.
but if the second and third add up to 11, then the first must be 9 again. so the first, fourth, seventh, tenth and thirteenth digit must be 9. the rest is just filling in numbers.
>>
Thank you. Now I feel stupid.
>>
>>134699
Honestly, it also leads to the same thing.

a+b+c=20
b+c+9=20
a=9

c+9+d=20
b=d

and so on
>>
>>134654

Or just note that
a+b+c=b+c+d=20, so a=d
thus every 4th digit repeats.

So fill out the 4th digits and the cc number is
9x79x79x79x79x

So 9+x+7=20; x=4
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.