[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help with new computer parts needed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6
File: COMP HELP.png (77 KB, 781x641) Image search: [Google]
COMP HELP.png
77 KB, 781x641
Hey there, I am in need of some advice I recently had a mobo brick itself and I need to buys some new parts, I have decided that I am going to keep some parts to use in a new rig and would like to know if the new parts makes sense and if there is anything that I should know. I plan to spend around $500 for new parts.

The parts I want to keep are:

Video Card =AMD r390x

CPU = AMD phenom II X6 T1100

PSU = I don't remember exactly but it is 800W gold rated

Sound card = Delta 10/10 (I do recording with this)

Cooling = some decent closed liquid cooling for CPU

Additonal = 1 ssd (120gb) 1 hdd (2tb) and optical both in great drives

Things I am planning to buy:

Mobo = ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
RAM = G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C10Q-32GAB

Case = Rosewill THOR V2-W, Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case, White Edition - Supports Up to E-ATX / XL-ATX, Comes with Four Fans.

Is this reasonable? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
>>
Shameless self bump.
>>
Hold up let me check it out.
>>
Why would you get 32 GB of ram and keep that cpu?
>>
>>132217
I do a lot of intensive recording in Cubase that eats up my ram. I currently have 16gb and I have issues loading additional instruments into projects after like 10. I do a lot of production stuff. I want to keep the CPU because I don't have a lot of money and haven't really pushed it all that hard with the stuff I do. Also never had a problem with it.
>>
>>132219

I guess you need a full tower for a reason too then? because that's a lot of bread for a tower.

Do you live by a Microcenter? if you do you can get a sweet deal on motherboard + cpu combos that might work out. I'm asking because maybe your into music and if so maybe your near a city area where Microcenters are sometimes nearby.
>>
>>132224
Yeah I have a mid tower now and It does not get enough airflow for all the components. Unfortunately I do not live near a microcenter closest is a couple hundred miles.
>>
>>132226

Well. I'll give you my opinion on that. As far as I know tower size affecting the cpu and hardware temps are minimal. If you think buying a bigger case is going to help with temps I think you will end up dissapointed. If your case now has good space but shit airflow t he parts are just too hot and the fan setup now isn't good enough.

Can you post a pic of the inside of your case?. If temperature is the ONLY reason for you to upgrade your case I would say check out your cabling and fan setup first before you waste your money. You might be able to just invest in a couple of faster fans, zip tie the cables so they're not blocking airflow and be a bit better off. If it's just your CPU that runs hot you might want a different CPU cooler. Do you have stock cooling?
>>
I will post a pic. I have liquid cooling for my cpu. my cards are too close together and that cause higher temps but nothing drastic.
>>
File: 20160531_221135.jpg (5 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
20160531_221135.jpg
5 MB, 4032x3024
Don't judge I know I need to clean it more often. But the Sound care is directly beneath the card. It is the only available PCI for that card.
>>
Also the cable are near impossible to manage there is no space behind the mother board. I had them tucked into an empty hard drive bay when the cover came off they got pulled out. the front fan is not near where the cables were tucked in.
>>
Also no probs with the CPU temp with a modest OC.
>>
>>132238

EEEESHSHHH!!!!

Holly crap. That is one old beast from the looks of it. Well first of I can see why the airflow is terrible. You definitely need a new case but I really doubt it has to be a 130 dollar full tower case. The case you have now is just some prebuilt shitty worst of the worst cases. Even a shit-tier $45 mid-tower case like I got would be a lot better than that thing. Shit man

Do you have a fan pulling air in from the front?

So for liquid cooling the rear fan is the SAME as the cpu fan? what a gyp. I never actually noticed that. Looks like you might need to blow it out with canned air too.

How do you know the airflow isn't good?
>>
>>132244
There is a front fan pulling.
The case IS SHIT. I was given it in 2011.
The Sound card is blocking one the fans of the GPU. That could be fixed with a new mobo so I think you're right I may just need a mid sized case. No the liquid cooling fan came with the water cooler and is pulling air out. Note I built this in 2011 and was still in high school. Graphics card obviously after that.
>>
File: speccy.png (74 KB, 848x628) Image search: [Google]
speccy.png
74 KB, 848x628
>>132244

Also, what are your temps right now? can you run a speccy screenshot? I'll show you mine. I would just like to help you determine first of all what is the problem with the heat thing. I got a FX-8350 with air cooling (hyper 212 evo) and get these temps.
>>
>>132255
Unfortunately mobo is dead and I cannot run it. Last time I ran speccy the cpu temp was 39C degrees with an OC. Gpu was 41 C mobo was 37C
>>
>>132253

Is it the fans that came with the case?????

If so they're probably pulling at such a sorry speed that they're hardly even pushing air. If you do get a new case I suggest you invest another 15 bucks and get a semi-premium 2 pack set of fans that run at 1500 rpm. Don't reuse the fans you have on that case and well nevermind if your new case already ships with fans. For that much money it should come with at least three. A front, rear, AND side.
>>
>>132257
Good to know. So do you think I could get away with a decent mid tower.
>>
>>132257
Stock fans prob shit. Don't plan on using them.
>>
>>132262

Yeah, I was going to suggest changing out the fans that come with the case because they're probably sub-par. Not sure if he has the money though. I'm still trying to figure out his whole situation.

I don't think you're OP that's why I'm talking to you as if you weren't OP.
>>
>>132264
Yes I am OP no problem. And recommendations for a good case.
>>
How about I use this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
>>
>>132265

Well, is your PSU the same one that came with the original case? or is a nice new one that you replaced the old shit one with?

>>132269

VERY nice. I have a similar one. I'll take a pic in a minute. I suggest you do a pcpartpicker to compare prices.
>>
>>132273
Good I like that case. Also PSU is decent 650watt bronze 80 I just checked. I think I will need at least 750 watts I just checked that as well. With the money I save on the tower I can get a decent PSU.
>>
File: IMG_20160601_244911603.jpg (3 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160601_244911603.jpg
3 MB, 3120x4160
>>132273

Without flash
>>
File: IMG_20160601_244923823.jpg (4 MB, 3120x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160601_244923823.jpg
4 MB, 3120x4160
>>132278

With flash
>>
>>132278
Nice it even hase the same front USB config.
>>
Any 750 watt psu recommendations.
>>
>>132274

So the old PSU is the original? If so you definitely want to replace it as soon as possible if it's as old as that case.

So we'll start (already begun but hey) the case search with making sure that the case doesn't include a PSU. Most times with any type of case they offer ones with power supplies included. Better than nothing but if you're going to replace it (because they're usually shit) then might as well save a couple bucks getting a case you like that's cheaper and comes without one.

You will definitely want to order the extra two fans for the case. I would put the nice premium fans on the front and rear and put the third one that ships with the case as the rear to the side.
>>
>>132282
Original PSU is antec did not come with the case but I used a wattage calculator tool and it suggested around 750 my original is only 650. Case does not come with a PSU.
>>
>>132283

Alright so we'll go with your current PSU and for the link for the case it doesn't specify if it has a PSU or not. I suppose it's definitely a more reasonable one to go with for that price even if it does come with a PSU. I'm used to local Microcenter prices so I'm always looking for something that can rival their prices (which is damn near impossible).

It says (if I'm not mistaken) that it does ship with two fans so I would order a 2 set of premium fans to go with and use the 3rd as the side fan and fourth if you want as the top fan or keep it as a sort of new spare in case one other one goes to shit.
>>
>>132279

Damn, I have to blow my case out with canned air. I hardly ever see it like this picture though. The front looks like my carpet.
>>
File: COMPLIST.png (76 KB, 771x597) Image search: [Google]
COMPLIST.png
76 KB, 771x597
Here is an updated list. NOT PICTURED two 1500rpm 120mm fans and the ram from the previous picture.
>>
>>132292

How come you haven't just done a pcpartpicker?
>>
>>132297
Honestly didn't even think of that. Any recommended pcpartpickers?
>>
>>132298
NVM googled it.
>>
>>132292

JEEEESUS. Now you're overspending on a PSU.

No need for a 109 dollar power supply ( I mean unless you're selling it to somebody or running something serious. Typical decent (even above decent) PSUs should max out at like 80 bucks. I usually go for the Corsair $60 ones 650 Watt or so CX series. So far they've treated me good.

If you really want that PSU it's alright. I'm just trying to help you budget more and spend wisely. If you spend a bit better you might even be able to afford a brand new AMD FX 8350 or something to replace the older CPU you want to recycle.
>>
>>132300

Also I saw that second arctic silver remove thing on your list the entire time but never asked what you got it for?. What is that? Is that something to take off old thermal paste?
>>
>>132300
It's cool man that's why I am here. I need 750 watts what do you suggest?
>>
>>132302
Yeah a friend recommended it to remove the old past on my current CPU.
>>
>>132305

Have you check out pcpartpicker yet?

I will try to do a setup based on what you provided but on pcpartpicker. Give me a couple minutes.
>>
>>132306

The reason I asked is because you NEED to take the old paste off before putting on new paste. Thing is most people in the know with computers just use regular %70 isopropyl rubbing alcohol that they have lying around the house. Worst comes to worst you go to walmart and buy a bottle for one dollar and still have plenty left.
>>
>>132309
Good to know.
>>
>>132306

Alright, well I typed in the exact model of motherboard that I saw in your latest picture in the PCpartpicker choices and couldn't find the model I saw (Asus Sabertooth). I'm sure it's good but wel they don't have it and another motherboard they DO have which is the same one I have actually (I guess that's why it's offered at Microcenter as a bundle and is so popular). It's the M5a99FX Pro r2 and it's only $118.99 on there.

I love this board so far it's treated me good. It is a premium board. I do suggest it.
>>
>>132315
I am almost done with a full revised list. I will post it.
>>
>>132318

Don't do it yet, not here.

Go to pcpartpicker.com and do it there. It's worth it.
>>
>>132319
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/T6vFf8
Here is the link I Already own the PSU, CPU, GPU, COOLING, and CD DRIVE
>>
>>132322
I also already own the storage and OS
>>
>>132322

Not bad at all. Looks well rounded.

>>132324

I think you don't want to put it on there then? or you'll order it? Take if off the list of you'll order it but I get your point. Looks decent.

How much is your absolute HIGHEST amount you can spend (budget)?. I'm curious to see if maybe I can help you choose what you shoudl remove and wait on for now.
>>
>>132327

I meant take off the stuff you don't want to order if you do happen to order immediately.
>>
>>132327
I have $500 for parts
>>132328
I will buy in a day or two.
>>
>>132327
I just put stuff I had on the list just for people to see my full planned build.
>>
>>132331

Definitely so you can ask others for a second opinions. I've been wrong about many a shit in my lifetime.

>>132330

I would definitely suggest you bootleg the OS for now. The video card makes up most of your budget, do you really game much? or planning for the future releases?
>>
>>132333
I already own items on the list here is a list of things I need to buy the mobo is about $170 I don't know why it is not showing up.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TBgxFd
>>
>>132334

I think they just don't have any resellers to sell it to you since this site keeps a catalogue but behind that keep a check of which merchant can offer the product. Seems like this item is in there catalogue but no merchant will sell it (sold out)?.
>>
>>132337
Awe that makes sense.
>>
Thanks a bunch I have a pretty good idea of what I am going to get. I saved a bunch of money and think this will work. I am going to buy it within a week. I am going to wait see if I find any killer deals on the parts.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/
>>
>>132346
LEL wrong link.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vVnhPs
>>
>>132347

Good luck man!
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.