[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How hard is it to hypnotize yourself? I have Obsessive Compulsive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: Nathan2.jpg (193 KB, 450x339) Image search: [Google]
Nathan2.jpg
193 KB, 450x339
How hard is it to hypnotize yourself?

I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and this is the latest thing it's tormenting me with. Can you hypnotize yourself just by thinking "Okay, I'm going to hypnotize myself in this way." I really don't think it's that easy, but that's what my disorder is bugging me with. I can explain if needed.
>>
>>127445
That's basically CBT. Just go see an accredited CBT practitioner, and they'll teach you to do that.
>>
Without getting into the controversies of the subject, hypnotism only works if you want it to work. Another term for it is "suggestion," which illustrates that it doesn't have the power to compel you, it can only influence you if you're willing to listen to it.

With that in mind, hypnotizing yourself probably depends entirely on your ability to believe you have the power to do it, and that it will work. I have no idea if that can overcome your innate OCD though. You'd be better off seeing a professional.
>>
>>127588
I'm not thinking about using hypnotism to overcome OCD, I'm worrying about hypnotizing myself even though I don't want to. Which is a worry my OCD is using to torment me.

Basically I was worried that because I'd thought about hypnotizing myself, I did. I don't think that's how it works, though. You can't say "I am now an apple" and then believe you are one.

That's really my question.
>>
I mean, what you're thinking of isn't actually hypnotism but yes, you can program yourself to behave a certain way or respond to stimuli in a certain way
>>
some people are hard to hypnotise, others aren't. some find it easy to hypnotise themselves, some don't. like >>127588 said, it will only work if you want it to. and no, you can't just brainwash yourself with it. I used to go to a therapist who did hypnosis and the way he explained it was that yes, you're increasing your suggestibility, but you can't be made to do something you don't want to. he also said that one way it works is that while you're in that altered state, you're able to be (for lack of a better term) more in touch with your unconscious, and you can directly ask your unconscious to solve problems for you, or figure out a way for you to change a habit, or what have you. so it will work on it in the background and at some point before long you should start to see results.

you won't know until you try it. find 1 or 2 books with good reviews and give it a shot. the worst that can happen is it won't work. I will say it's easier to do if you've done meditation or trance work in the past. and honestly it does help to have a friend guide you and bring you back on track if you drift. it can be hard to keep focused in that state.
>>
>>128082
and I did read >>127749 - well, first misread it and then read it correctly - and I still stand by my post. maybe the best way to confront the fear of accidentally hypnotising yourself is to do it on purpose. it can't hurt and it could possibly help your OCD a bit. and if it doesn't help that, it might help with other shit going on in your life. I have done it and I do recommend it if you're open to it.
>>
File: 601.gif (958 KB, 736x627) Image search: [Google]
601.gif
958 KB, 736x627
Influencing the subconscious becomes quite easy if you just practice.
>>
File: fase.png (296 KB, 495x419) Image search: [Google]
fase.png
296 KB, 495x419
>>128082
>Can't be made to do something you don't want to
>implying it isn't easy as shit to change what someone wants to do
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.