[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Horror Film Recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: the-exorcist-reagan.jpg (32 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
the-exorcist-reagan.jpg
32 KB, 600x400
I have an acquaintance who would love to be scared by a movie, but thinks she's complete immune to it.

The only film that's ever scared her the whole way through was the Exorcist, which is one of her favorite movies.

Outside of that, there have only been certain scenes from certain movies that struck a cord of fear. She cites "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that" from 2001 A Space Odyssey as the scariest scene she's ever watched. Other scenes she claims were impressive include the elevator scene from The Eye (2002) where the homeless man starts floating toward the girl, and the scene in Shutter, where looking through the camera lens showed the girl ghost clinging onto the guy.

Do not recommend any of the following:

Slashers - thinks they're all rubbish, not scared
The Shining - saw it, didn't like
Evil Dead movies - didn't like
The Blair Witch Project - thought it was rubbish. Makes fun of the "spooky stones" scene to this day
Italian movies - thinks they're all rubbish except for the good, the bad, the ugly. Didn't like Suspiria.
Shock/Gore/Torturefests - think A Serbian Film and Human Centipede; shit that just plays on audience disgust
Haunted Houses - doesn't like any of them, too many cliches
Old Universal Horror - Not scary
>>
Poltergeist 1982
>>
>>127441
>Haunted Houses - doesn't like any of them
>>
Ring
Grudge

Tell her to play Silent Hill games.
>>
>>127456
Seen both. Thought the ending scene of the Ring was scary, but not so much the rest of the movie. The Grudge is a haunted house, didn't like.

Video games are a no go zone.
>>
I liked 'the mist'
>>
Rosemary's Baby
Flatliners
Jacob's Ladder
>>
Coherence is the last movie that made me feel absolute terror and kept me awake for a night. It's more existential dread than cheap "monster in a closet" horror though. It's fucking scary if you think about the implications, but maybe not in the way you're looking for.

Since you like Thai horror (Shutter), here's some more foreign goodness: Martyrs (has some torturefest-aspects but is more intelligent than that) and Janghwa, Hongryeon

I'm assuming you saw all the other atmospheric classics like Alien, The Thing and Event Horizon? In recent years I only really liked Pandorum in that vein.

The Descent is a bit of an oddball. The first half is brilliant and innovative, really honing in on the claustrophobic atmosphere of caving. The second half is mostly cheap jumpscares :-/

There's also a different kind of horror, which relies on how scary humans actually are in real life. They're terrifying, but also emotionally draining. An American Crime is a masterpiece and war crime movies like the chinese Hei tai yang 731 or movies about genonices really get under your skin.
>>
Traces of death series
>>
>>127522

Also look up three guys and a hammer (full version if possible) and watch the whole thing. See if that works. It's pretty disturbing.
>>
>>127516
The Descent has two endings, because America thought the original one was too intellectual and not happy enough.
>>
>>127437
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Martyrs (2008)
Naked Lunch (1991)
Visitor Q (2001)
Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
A Serbian Film
>>
Noroi
>>
I couldn't make it through the first five minutes of The Hills Have Eyes...
>>
>>127559
Agree. It was such a shitty movie.
>>
The Thing
>>
Ju-on white ghost

Only time I have ever in my life screamed at a horror movie
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.