[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Satelite TV in California help?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: fug.jpg (205 KB, 1718x2315) Image search: [Google]
fug.jpg
205 KB, 1718x2315
So I moved to rural California and have a TV in the living room. There aren't many channels and sometimes I get a "weak or no signal" message on some channels but all yesterday I had every channel say that.

The prompt states to auto program but after scanning for 6 hours nothing is coming up, it cant find a single channel but also I "lost" all the old channels as well. I personally wouldn't care but since this isn't my house and the people here can get very "passionate" about TV I'm sort of worried for my wellbeing if I don't figure out what to do.

Like its free channels, they don't pay for it but since they drink all day and watch TV it's pretty much their lives. They don't know-how to fix anything and I'm in a really tight spot with these people.

Basically please help if you know what's going on or what to do ;.;
>>
picture of your antennae connected to the tv?
>>
>>124529
move where the antennae is, or see if something is blocking it
>>
>>124529
That's not satellite: that's digital-terrestrial.

If you're not getting anything at all, that means your antenna isn't working.

You need to go to somewhere like http://www.antennaweb.org/ , find where it should be pointing, and make sure it's pointing there.

Then you need to make sure the downlink cable is working. The most ghetto way to do this is to move the TV right next to the antenna, and keep moving it along the cable until it stops working.

You can manually tune your TV from the channel list you got from the web.
>>
>>124529
>6 hours
it shouldn't take 6 minutes

if it's one of those garbage things they advertise on tv, your reception will be garbage

you need an actual antenna and it needs to be as high as possible

it could also be the converter box/tv....there are better units that are not that expensive
>>
>>124548
>>124569
>>124581
We don't have an antenna I think but we have a satellite and what looks like a box
>>124742
Dsconverter is that right?
>>
>>124769
>We don't have an antenna I think but we have a satellite and what looks like a box
what? follow the cord

>Dsconverter is that right?
is that a dtv converter box? yes, it should be
>>
File: outside.jpg (57 KB, 1052x847) Image search: [Google]
outside.jpg
57 KB, 1052x847
>>124788
Oh I thought you meant like a small antenna on the TV, there is a massive one on the roof.

So if I move the antenna everything will work again? Things turned sour when they found out what happened, need to figure this out with no money
>>
>>125009
an antenna of that size is more than enough...

you can look at the sites that list the tv towers and which way the antenna should be pointed for best reception, but if this just happened suddenly, I don't think it has to do with the antenna direction

I would suggest going along the whole cable and making sure all the connections are tight, and there aren't any damaged spots....the signal loss could also be due to some kind of electrical interference (weather can be a huge factor too)

the cable should run from the antenna, down to an "in" spot on the converter box, then an "out" cable going to the tv....better ones use HDMI out (most tvs should have a built in converter box already unless they are really old)
>>
>>125079
I did this and nothing. I did a scan when all the TV shows stopped working but to do so I would loss all saved channels and still no channels get picked up.

I went on the cdc website and my antenna is point correctly I think still but again nothing gets picked up.

Thanks for your help anon anyways
>>
>>125358
are you sure the settings are all correct?
>>
>>125372
I think so, I'm really bad at wiring things but everything is in its original place. Who do I call to fix this and like how much will it cost you think?
>>
>>125384
I don't think you should need anyone

assuming your setup was as I described, antenna > converter box > tv, and the cords are all fine (the connection to the antenna itself might be an issue), it has to be one of those things

the easiest option is to simply detach the roof antenna cable from the converter, and replace it with one of those cheapo ones (such as http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-Homeworx-HW110AN-Indoor-Antenna/dp/B008KVUAGU) or even an old pair of rabbit ears if you have them...they won't get nearly as many channels, but if they can pick up a signal, then the converter is fine (just make sure to put it near a window, or even test it as high as you can put it on a stick or something outside the window)

the next choice is to swap the converter box with another to see if it can pick up any channels with the roof antenna, if that doesn't work, there has to be something else going on
>>
>>124529
If you can't get your antenna higher, then try a signal amplifier. They made them for use with analog TV, so they might make them for digital over the air TV. And perhaps, though I think this might not matter, but those signals might be directional, so yes, turning the antenna (or getting one that has a motor to do it) could help.
>>
>>125847
also, if your antenna already has a signal amplifier built in... make sure it's turned on. don't laugh. it's an easy mistake to make. sometimes it has to be turned on from the set-top box menu.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.