[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I was here a few days ago and thought I had my memory issue figured
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: memory.jpg (110 KB, 646x599) Image search: [Google]
memory.jpg
110 KB, 646x599
I was here a few days ago and thought I had my memory issue figured out, but apparently I was wrong. I don't know what to do about my high memory usage. I have 16GB of memory in my PC so there should be no reason it keeps running at 80% or higher constantly.
>>
Performance tab screenshot?
>>
File: memory2.png (69 KB, 1441x599) Image search: [Google]
memory2.png
69 KB, 1441x599
I can see that there is a ton of memory in use, but I don't understand why. This wasn't an issue a week ago with all variables being the same.
>>
Your pc only seea 8 gb i'm pretty sure. That's a serious problem if you really have 16 gb.
>>
>>124020

Well, it SAYS 8GB on each stick, but apparently they are just 4GB a piece, so fuck me I guess. Would It be better to buy more 4GB sticks for a total of 4 or just upgrade to 2 8GB?
>>
>>124021
Memory usage still shouldn't be that high. Something on your pc softwarewise nweds to be shut down but it takes digging through services and startup lists and shit. Doubt ypu're into that. Foemat if you can or buy morw ram sure to see if 14 gb gets used up out of your total 16.
>>
>>124016
/r/ing the /g/ disco screencap
>>
>>124019
Non-paged pool is massive --> kernel driver memory leak.

Usually it's the "killer" ethernet* driver.

* If it were that good, the NYSE would be using it, instead of Intel. They don't.
>>
File: Taskmgr_2016-05-18_10-07-36.png (100 KB, 719x808) Image search: [Google]
Taskmgr_2016-05-18_10-07-36.png
100 KB, 719x808
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 16 GiB just is really the bare minimum for a PC these days. If your motherboard supports more, I'd suggest upgrading. For me 32 is enough but I'd be really choking and having to be careful if I only had 16.
>>
>>124061
>16 GiB just is really the bare minimum for a PC these days

please I'm on 4gb and I'm fine. Most people have even less
>>
File: funny.png (77 KB, 1353x894) Image search: [Google]
funny.png
77 KB, 1353x894
>>124061

Funny, even if it was bait
>>
Capture of processes tab sorted by memory use? Make sure it's displaying all users' processes.
>>
>>124021
Try reseating both sticks of RAM. If they're labelled as 8 gig sticks they're more than likely 8 gig sticks.

As for your memory usage, it's probably just using it as a cache. There should be a lovely little chart breaking down your memory use on the bottom of your performance monitor.
>>
>>124085
Stop wasting OP's time.

The leak is in the non-paged pool, as is clearly evidenced by >>124019 showing 4.9 GB of non-paged pool, where any normal PC (>>124061, for example) commits less than 0.5 GB.

OP needs to find which kernel-mode driver or service is leaking memory, and a good start would be to remove the shovelware that came with his motherboard. Another likely candidate would be any driver that doesn't have a WHQL signature.

OP already got his answer hours ago; by not reading the thread and giving out random guesses in an attempt to feel helpful, you're tricking him into doing things that will take real time and effort, but won't bring him any closer to fixing his PC. OP is a real person. You're wasting a real person's time. You should feel bad about this.
>>
>>124219
>any driver that doesn't have a WHQL signature.
WHQL doesn't mean shit. NVidia has taught us that manufacturers self certify and WHQL certification is not an indication of quality. It's not even an indication that the drivers won't fry your shit.
>>
>>124221
It's totally an indication that the drivers don't leak kernel memory, because that's one of the WHQL criteria.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.