[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Because /g/ is being useless for anything except dark memes (as
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
Because /g/ is being useless for anything except dark memes (as usual), I am turning to you /wsr/. Please, don't make this end up as yet another 0 reply shout in the dank.

So my current situation is:
>currently running an old HDD with Windows 7 Home (preinstalled shit)
>got a new SSD, currently have both together
>have a Debian boot USB stick ready for emergency cases
>have a Windows 7 Ultimate iso at disposal, but no DVD drive.
I'd like to make the SSD dual boot with Win 7 Ultimate and Debian. What would be the best course of action to do this? I already know that Windows should be installed first because it's a retarded piece of shit, but other than that? Is it true that I should disconnect my HDD before installing Windows on an SSD?
>>
Install gentoo
>>
If you have the HDD in the disc might try to repair your windows install instead of installing fresh on the ssd. Can't hurt to take it out but it probably doesn't matter.

When you install it'll ask you to partition, so partition, and then you can install Debian on second boot

>>12414
Dank
>>
Yes, disconnect the HDDs you're not using while installing Win7, make sure to leave enough unpartitioned room for Debian.

Use this tool to install Win7 onto a USB
http://wudt.codeplex.com/#
>>
>>12423
>>12385
No, leave all your devices plugged in.

Windows setup only installs where you tell it to; all you have to do is not be a div.

NTloader, on the other hand, can get confused when your drives move about, so plugging your hard disk back in may, in fact, stop you booting.
>>
>>12497
I reinstalled Windows 7 yesterday onto my HDD, and I ran into the exact same error on two different .iso's of Windows.

The error was fixed by removing any HDD I was not going to install Windows to.
>>
>>12548
The exact same error which was....?

The installer only does what you tell it to.

Are you honestly suggesting that the installer is broken for all PCs that have more than one drive, but no-one's noticed yet but you?
>>
>>12423
>>12497
>Yes, disconnect the HDDs
>No, leave all your devices plugged in
Well fug. Which one is it then?

>>12560
The way I've heard it it only affects PCs that have separate drive types, e.g. one HDD and one SSD.
>>
>>13024
So what if you've got an SSHD?

Cut it in half?
>>
>>13030
They are counted as a single drive you ebin memster
>>
>>13030
....bump?
>>
>>13033
So you only have to disconnect one of it?
>>
>>13267
Except I don't have a SSHD you dummy, I have two drives
>>
>>13411
Then howsabout leaving them plugged in, and actually reading what the installer is saying?

If Windows was incapable of installing itself to a machine with two drives, this would have been discovered in pre-alpha, not by some guy on 4chan several years after millions of units shipped.
>>
>>13422
>this would have been discovered in pre-alpha, not by some guy on 4chan several years after millions of units shipped.
And this is Microsoft that we're talking about, so I wouldn't put it past some guy on 4chan to discover their shitty glitches before their poo2loo beta testing division does. Plus I'm far from the only person talking about this, literally most of the first google page after searching "ssd dual boot" was full of conflicting info concerning this issue, dating anywhere within the last 8 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not incapable of following instructions, unless they conflict each other that is, so I wanted to set the record straight.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.