[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Somebody give me a basic outline of what the Toho 東方 series
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3
File: cfa4f967.jpg (84 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
cfa4f967.jpg
84 KB, 500x375
Somebody give me a basic outline of what the Toho 東方 series are and where to start.
>>
Touhou began as a series of bullet hell and arcade fighter video games made by ZUN. Since the series is not produced by a legit company, ZUN doesn't really hold any rights to the intellectual property. So as a result all fanmade content is official, and anything and everything is canon. This is why there's so much fanart, videos, and products; anyone can make money off of the series without legal repercussions. This is the nature of the doujin market.

Start with Embodiment of Scarlet Devil or Perfect Cherry Blossom
>>
>>123320
>Since the series is not produced by a legit company, ZUN doesn't really hold any rights to the intellectual property. So as a result all fanmade content is official, and anything and everything is canon.

Anon go to bed, you're delirious.
>>
File: Marisa 08.png (378 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Marisa 08.png
378 KB, 1000x1000
>>123298

Here's a site with basically everything you could want from Touhou from music to the actual games to spinoffs made by fans:

http://moriyashrine.weebly.com/

Like the first anon said, the series is just a bullet hell where you play as cute girls, usually Reimu and Marisa, and you can get true endings by never using a continue (you can still die, you just can't use a continue) which is what makes them fun and gives the games quite a bit of replay value.

And like he said again, start with the 6th game, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil. It's the first of the "actually decent-looking" Touhou games and doesn't require a DOS emulator to play it. To go along with that, from what I've played, it's exactly as people describe it as being one of the easier Touhou games to get into because the bullet patterns start out relatively easy and then slowly build up to crazy, but doable patterns, while some later games have me thinking "how do I even dodge this?"

Have fun. And just remember that Shift both slows you down (to better dodge bullets) and also focuses your fire which is incredibly helpful.
>>
File: 1449253712402.jpg (188 KB, 620x877) Image search: [Google]
1449253712402.jpg
188 KB, 620x877
Since it looks like the question has been answered, I'm going to take this opportunity to plug this dead genre and ask that if you try Touhou and end up enjoying it thoroughly, please realize that they aren't unique and that there are plenty of other excellent shoot em' ups out there.

That being said, good luck, even on its own Touhou is fun and can give you years of entertainment if you keep at it.
>>
>>123668
>please realize that they aren't unique and that there are plenty of other excellent shoot em' ups out there.
Just gonna also plug in and reccomend Cho Ren Sha 68K and Hellsinker. Both are excellent games that you can get off the internet easily and they are rather forgiving compared to other shmups.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.