[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
upgrading motherboard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 71evj1FUgnL._SL1000_.jpg (164 KB, 1000x719) Image search: [Google]
71evj1FUgnL._SL1000_.jpg
164 KB, 1000x719
so im planning on swapping my current mother board out for a new one that is capable of overclocking the CPU. Im going from a MSI intel one to a gigabyte intel one if that affects anything

so I'm wondering if I can use the same HDD i have now and save all the information I currently have on it(so basically I swap the motherboard and my computer is exactly the same except for improved performance and different bios shit)

I am currently using window 7 home premium and im going to be switching to window 7 pro after swapping the board, does this minor OS change affect much?

any other advice regarding motherboard swapping is appreciated

pic relate is board i plan on buying for my i5-6600k
>>
You're going to change motherboards JUST to overclock? Is it even worth it? how much of a boost do you expect to get? You know you're only going to get like a 5% increase in speed right? if that? and it will most likely only show when doing benchmarks and shit.
>>
well, hardware-side you can use the same hdd of course. but you'd have to reinstall windows, which you seem to be planning anyway.

i don't think win7 pro is much different from win7 home. isn't it just the corporate license so you're allowed to use it professionally? most of the actual features are in win7 ultimate if i recall correctly. it's been a while though.
>>
>>123345

http://winsupersite.com/windows-7/windows-7-product-editions-comparison

Looks like they are pretty much the freakin' same.

Only thing I didn't know that really sucks with home premium is that it only supports a max of 16 GB in 64 bit mode. That's a deal breaker. I have 16 GB but what if I wanted to go with 32?

For a motherboard change I don't think he'd HAVE to reinstall the OS.
>>
>>123225
With Windows 7:

Yes if you're not using AHCI, no if you are: there's no generic AHCI driver for Windows 7, so you can't boot Windows to install the driver you need to boot Windows. Every later Windows doesn't have this problem.

Note that if your Windows license came with your motherboard, it's only valid for that motherboard.

>>123352
>For a motherboard change I don't think he'd HAVE to reinstall the OS.
If you're booting off AHCI you do; see above. If you're not, just change all the motherboard devices to "Standard <whatever> controller", then swap the motherboard and boot.

>>123352
>Looks like they are pretty much the freakin' same.
Business gets you Remote Desktop, and Ultimate gets you Multilingual UI. If you don't need it you don't need it, but if you do, you do.

I need my inking recognised in both English and Japanese, so I need Ultimate. You might not.
>>
>>123341
Im upgrading the cpu as well, i am going from 3.3 ghz to 4.5 ghz which should last me a while in terms of cpu performance needed for games

>>123364
Im not sure what this AHCI is, is there a way for me to check if im using it? Also i read that OS is tied to the mother board and becomes voided once its swapped out, is that not the case?
>>
>>123375

Damn man, what you going to do with your old shit? Are you going to waste the old cpu and motherboard? or you have a use for them or sell them?
>>
>>123364
>and Ultimate gets you Multilingual UI

and bitlocker. if you trust M$ with your encryption it's quite handy. it's also very common in businesses and universities that every USB thumbdrive has to be encrypted with bitlocker to pevent loss of sensitive data. so if you want to access it at home you need ultimate as well.
>>
>>123376
Im going to use them for a seperate build for my moms computer. She needed a new computer and i saw it as an opportunity to upgrade my cpu and mobo while saving as much money as i can since my old parts wont go to waste
>>
>>123379
>so if you want to access it at home you need ultimate as well.
Not true: all editions can access Bitlocker-to-go volumes; the only thing you need Enterprise for is to create them.
>>
>>123375
Look in your BIOS.

If you SATA controller is set to "Legacy", you're hot to trot; if it's set to AHCI, you'll need to use an OS that's not halfway to voting-age.
>>
>>123225
don't, just don't.

the little umph you will get isn't worth the cost right now.

wait till after amd announces zen and shows it off before doing this again, as its possible you will be wasteing money when when a real upgrade awaits.

also

1) can't use same hdd with windows install, it will blue screen
2) you will only feel the oc in games or rendering, not in any other task
3) oc requires good silicon lottery, you may have god's gift to oc, you may not be able to go more then 100 over stock.
4) you will need decent aftermarket cooler to deal with an oc, intel stock is shit.

personally, i don't oc till basic shit is no longer doable, i'm on a phenom 955, and i still haven't had the need to oc yet even if in games i would gain a lot by even just a 200mhz oc.
>>
>>123405
>can't use same hdd with windows install, it will blue screen
You absolutely can, all you need to do is remove any motherboard-specific drivers that are used in the boot process, and maybe reconfigure the bootloader if the order your drives get detected changes.
>>
>>123225
Why did you even buy a non-overclocking motherboard if you got a K-variant CPU?

>so I'm wondering if I can use the same HDD i have now and save all the information I currently have on it(so basically I swap the motherboard and my computer is exactly the same except for improved performance and different bios shit)
Yes.

>I am currently using window 7 home premium and im going to be switching to window 7 pro after swapping the board, does this minor OS change affect much?
Not at all.

>You're going to change motherboards JUST to overclock? Is it even worth it?
Totally worth it. You can get anywhere between a 10%-20% performance increase. 10%-15% is definitely doable with air. High-end cooling and an i5-6600k can easily reach the 4.7 sweet-spot. 5% isn't even a thing.

>>123405
Eeeeh. Zen will be released in Q4 2016. That's too far away for some people. Sure it will have 6-8 physical cores (twice that for logical) for a decent price (probably 250-350), but OP's cpu is cheaper and much more powerful in quad-core performance, which is what really matters for most games (if at all). If it's strictly a gaming PC he's fine and should go ahead. Otherwise if he, say, renders videos or does some 3D modeling then yeah he should get an i7 or wait for Zen.

>3) oc requires good silicon lottery, you may have god's gift to oc, you may not be able to go more then 100 over stock.
Not really. Skylake overclocks real well. Much better than haswell/broadwell. It's sandy bridge all over again.

>can't use same hdd with windows install, it will blue screen
I made a ghetto setup for a friend. Took his laptop hdd and plugged it in his pc. Booted right up. I was surprised myself but whatever.
>>
>>123424
if someone is asking if they can or cant, then they have no fucking clue how to do what you just said, easier to just format the driver and keep the data somewhere else or just buy a new drive and use the current boot as storage.

>>123431
he said later on he would upgrade the cpu too.

now here is the thing, right now we have most game engines that are geared toward at least 2 core, some games 4 cores and some will not boot up without at least 4 threads, a few games that can handle 6 cores, and i think crysis handles all 8.

thats dx11, dx12 and vulcan will do that from the get go.

if this op wants to upgrade motherboard and cpu, it would be better to hold off for the potential that is zen.

also, at worst zen will be sandybridge performance at minimum, some sources are saying competitive with skylake now, what competitive means is in question.

with how current consoles are, 4core 8 threads (call them what you want, its 4 cores with 8 threads even if they are more cpu then threads) and they aren't going backwards, the next nintendo will be amd soc too, potentially using zen, ps4.5 could use it too, but i'm betting it will still be same cpu, but using the 14nm process to fit FAR more gpu on the dies.

That along with 6 and 8 core cpus (intels) feel better in games because any background process has for more resources to act as a buffer and not impact gameplay.

don't know about you but i have a quad core, and every now and then windows update turns back on and pings a core to 100% till i turn it the fuck off again, if i had 6 or 8 cores, that wouldn't impact gameplay at all, or at least to a FAR lesser extent then it does now.

also, we have all the reason to believe it will be 350-400$, but it could be more, it also could be 150$ and still pull profit, if amd is out for blood.

point being, no matter where it launches at, it will shift the prices that intels sells their shit at.

also, silicon lottery is real, you could have a dud or a god
>>
>>123434
I don't really see the point of Zen yet. I mean, if it's going to be that expensive it's best to just get a 5820K (i.e. 6 cores 12 threads) for $350. imo only if Zen is 8 cores/16 threads it becomes worthwhile since the equivalent Intel offering costs $1000, even Ivy Bridge. There's just too many rumors and not enough solid information. We really don't have much substantiation about Zen.

Besides, the overwhelming majority of people still have 4thread/4core CPUs and the transition of the gaming industry from that kind of hardware to more core/thread utilization will depend on mass-market/consumer behavior mostly. Even if OP doesn't wait for Zen he'll be solid for the next 2 years by which time a lot of Enticing products will be on the market (Navi, Zen+, etc). Besides that, a lot of games are more CPU-dependent than cpu.

Silicon lottery sure is real but that mostly has to do with the very high overclocks. 10% is standard K territory and skylake overclocks much better than haswell/broadwell (and the others) for many reasons.

Just my 2c.
>>
>>123450
zen, in the initial offering, is only 8 core 16 thread.

but lets assume that they sell the fuck up dies too and just disable cores like they did when they made 6 core phenoms, you could get dual cores that unlocked to 4/6 core cpus, so there is reason to believe they will only produce one sku, the 8 core 16 thread and sell others as lesser 2-7core varieties. there could be a sku and various price points that make sense together and with amds typically cheaper motherboards you could overall get an upgrade for cheaper then a new intel and new cpu.

The new apus should scale threads on their own rather then force devs to write games for that, but we are seeing the big engines like frostbite already handling threads and 6 cores on its own, they aren't going backwards with the engine.

also, a solid 2 years? what is this the mid 90's? i have a phenom 2 955, that thing STILL works wonders today without an oc, there is literally no need for new cpus when you have 4 cores anymore, its only been recently where SOME games struggle with my cpu, still very playable but some of the less well made games shit out on me. if you have anything quad core from core2quad or phenom II forward you are good to wait, i mean really its been 6-7 years and my computer doesn't feel slow. Given this, why upgrade to a meh level? personally i want zen for rendering as my gpu refuses to use opencl to assist, so for me, either zen is great and i get it (500$ or less) or i get a 6 core 5xxx series intel off ebay or on sale.

overclocking is a crapshoot, for every excellent there is a dud that wont do an extra 200mhz, they are rare, as almost all cpus from intel will hit at least 4.4 but its not something to discount either.
>>
>>123450

I think you're imagining AMD releasing something that compares to an FX-8350 or not much better.

If that's the case I would hope AMD doesn't charge $400 because the 5820k is closer to $400 than $350.

If AMD pulls an Intel and releases some new shit with minimal performance gains they should know people (especially AMD customers like me) would cheap out and either stick to their FX-8350's or go Intel (which isn't likely to happen because the 8350 is a fucking beast enough for me since I don't game and give zero fucks about 13 fps boost on any single upgrade.

If they double the speed of the 8350 single threads or at least match Intel's I'd be ready to pay up to $350 for a new chip. Otherwise my FX-8350 has more cores than I can utilize at the moment and if single cores don't speed up what's the point of upgrading since I don't even game.
>>
>>123468
you 8 core cpu is effectively a 4 core with 8 threads but just has a bit more cpu them logical.

the zen is a true 8 core with 16 threads, and from the slides, its 40% more then the current gen cpu of theirs, and so you know the 8350 is 2 or 3 gens behind, the newer ones were laptop only till recently. each of those was somewhere between 7-20% over the last gen depending on the benchmark, so the minimum boost you will see is 40% over that.

in an investor meeting, lisa said they have exceeded expectations with performance, though never mentioned by how much.

what we knew previously put it at sandybridge, and with 8 cores, the only cpu intel has that is an answer to that is the 8 core haswell (soon to be bradwell) which they are charging 1000$ free fucking still and then 1500 for the 10 core.

in server applications, amd has said its competitive with skylake in 80% of the common tasks

what does competitive mean.

at the very least, this is interesting, and potentially a re definition of what mainstream is called if amd put it out in the 350$ range.
>>
i did some more digging around and i read that when I boot for the first time, I can make the computer read my new win7 disk and initiate a repair installation of some sort to accommodate for the data on my HDD, does this work? i also checked my bios and its AHCI unfortunately so maybe something bad might happen.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.