[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Powerline adapter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
Hey, has anyone here actually used these "Powerline adapters"? I need a new way to connect to the internet and my LAN port is the only useful option?

Personally I'm in the UK but expirience with them outside of here would still be helpful?
>>
i tried a set of these and my experience was not great, was slow and dropeed out a few times. i ended up buying a long ethernet cable from Maplins and using that
>>
>>122731

I was considering that too, it'd be cheaper but the issue is it being untidy. Was it installed on a different floor or just another room nearby?
>>
>>122729
I grabbed a pair from Belkin that worked fairly well, it was faster than wifi and didnt drop often but it was also on different circuits so it's performance wasn't as good as it could possible be.
>>
>>122742

How much did they cost you, was the price reasonable for the performance?
>>
>>122739
same floor, from the living room to a bedroom/office.

A couple of other things, they get hot, the ones i had made an annoying electric/buzzing noise, flashing light which can be annoying if in a bedroom.

yeah ethernet cable can be untidy but was cheap and gave the best performance, you could pin it to the skirting board etc
>>
OP here

At the moment I'm getting 12 mb/s download speed according to "Oopla" and downloading games on steam at 1-1.2 mb/s, however the wifi disconnects every 5 minutes due to a fucked up motherboard/adapter problem. How do they compete with those speeds?
>>
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/peripherals/networking-and-wireless-lan/powerline-networking?sPage=1&sSort=4
>>
>>122754

Some good reviews, however Amazon have the same offers cheaper, but it has swayed me to consider them more seriously
>>
>>122752
well its not going to improve the actual up/down speeds at all, it will improve stabilty and stop drop outs every 5 mins.
>>
it may be worthwhile having a quick search about the make and model of the powerline you want and the router you have.

I had an issue with a buffalo router which I had to turn off upnp on the router and put the adtors IP in the DMZ (it had wireless as well)
>>
>>122729
Using them right now and they work perfectly. Lets me stream blu-ray rips from my PC to my PS4 without any issues which is nice compared to wireless.
>>
>>122769

Well that's better than I had anticipated

>>122757

The same speeds is great, the main change is the broken adapter so if the qualities better than that makes the world of difference
>>
>>122769
>>122778
yeah the internet speed will not be affected it will just stabalise the connection, however local data transfer will be massiveley increased over wireless
>>
>>122782

Over wireless as in "Using" or "Better than"?
>>
>>122783
>Better than
>>
>>122785

Thanks kek

Which ones have you been using?
>>
>>122787
a set of belkin adaptors
>>
>>122789

American, right, thanks for all the help anyway. Found some TP-LINK ones with outstanding reviews and pass through sockets so I'm set
>>
>>122729
I had 2 of these and let me tell you my experience with them for the 2 years I had to use them.
>plug them straight into the wall outlet, Any other Splitter or extender for the power line will only slow it down more.
>WiFi can be faster, but its generally more stable than WiFi
>My download speed on steam for instance is 15-20 MBp/s, with the powerline this was 2MBp/s
So overall for normal internet browsing and loading emails it will suffice, Just don't plan to download or game with them, as long term use (big downloads or high tick gaming) tend to overheat them and cause them to lose connection or stop working every 1 in 10 seconds.

I recommend getting a long internet cable, It's worth it and you'll only regret buying these Powerline shits
>>
>>123312
Before people start bitching, I forgot to add (almost self explanatory) the better the quality/brand the better they perform, I had a basic brand and took the middle way (your average consumer base)
>>
>>123314
>>123312
I was just going to point out that the powerline standard has gone through various versions, just like 802.11 did, so if you bought the powerline equivalent of 802.11b two years ago, of course it's going to be slower than both the wifi and the powerline adaptors they're selling now.
>>
>>123316
I get that, also the WiFi I referred to was of course the WiFi of 2 years back as well.
My current WiFi is way past that performance.

Captcha: fucking storefronts
>>
I have a pair of these at home and they work fine. The only problem i had was that if the electricity was "newer". We built out the house and had to get new electricity there whie our router has the older one. But connection wise i get full speed and no problems, i sometimes have to pull out the thing from the wall and plug it back in, but it takes 2 seconds.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.