[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am wondering if anybody can help me out with this. I want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: dl580g9.png (173 KB, 474x356) Image search: [Google]
dl580g9.png
173 KB, 474x356
I am wondering if anybody can help me out with this.

I want to run 5VM's on one box.

VM1: WS2012R2 core RODC

VM2: WS2012R2 application server with WSUS.
Appserver will be used for Photoshop and office by 7 people.
VM3: WS2012R2 File server with raid 5
VM4: WS2012R2 File server with raid 5
VM5: CENTOS 7 mailserver

I would install hyper-v server as "base os".
If possible, i'd like all of them to have trunked NIC's.

Pic is what I have in mind, sort of. But desu i am clueless which one of the DL580 g9's would suit my needs.

any input is much appreciated
>>
A bit advanced. /g/ might know but they might not share and just kick you back here. I'd ask them anywayz for something like this.
>>
>>122531
iv'e been to /g/ and got mod warning about asking for advice there, they said i should go to /wsr/. I explicitely apologized for making an advice thread there, got completely derailed by trolls and did not got any wiser.
>>
>>122534

Alright, well bottom line is I'll tell you what I think. What are the options within that model that you can get? are you considering like 64GB of ram vs 128? are they all dual xeons? or are you considering quad core or something? for five vms you I'd say 32 GB would be OK for memory but I"m not even sure what a trunked nic is?
>>
>>122535
i'll ask a more concrete question:
consider the following setup :

DUAL Intel® Xeon® E7-4809 v3 (8 core, 2.0 GHz, 20MB, 115W)

64GB (4x16GB) RDIMM

I have no idea how powerfull 2 Intel® "Xeon® E7-4809 v3 (8 core, 2.0 GHz, 20MB, 115W) " are, are 8 cores enough for 5 VM's, one of which an application server for Adobe cc?
>>
>>122530
My guess would be "any of them". Your mailserver, I'm guessing, is serving 7 people, which means you can basically discount it: it's going to have as big a footprint as a clock widget.

This means your remaining four VMs get a socket each. Even the two which are basically network applicances.

Whichever server you get, it'll be massive, massive overkill.

>>122530
>If possible, i'd like all of them to have trunked NIC's.
What, exactly, are they communicating with?

You've basically described a one-box network for a small-office design shop in Soho. That being the case, all the communication is going to be VM<-->VM, and all the NICs are going to be doing is providing Internet access.

What does the rest of your world look like?
>>
>>122541
You mean "16 cores".

There are eight cores on each chip.

>>122541
>are 8 cores enough for 5 VM's, one of which an application server for Adobe cc
It depends on what you're doing with it. For some Adobe workloads, my *laptop* is enough to be an application server for Adobe CC.
>>
>>122541

Is each cpu 8 core? If that's the case 5 i would think would run great. If they're each 4 core I would still think it's a solid setuo because xeons are very reputable and optimized for server use. Adobe cc server? So that means you will have a lot of renderg?
>>
File: rackserv.png (58 KB, 1001x668) Image search: [Google]
rackserv.png
58 KB, 1001x668
to put this in perspective, sloppy visio related.

>>122543
>>122546
kind of giving me the answer i was hoping for, so the 10k version of the Dl580g9 will be suffice for my needs.

>>122547
8 cores each,

I am really happy with your inputs people, thank you.
I guess ill have to look into the nic teaming and how usefull it is in this setup.. I think i may be overthinking all of this (with the limited knowledge i have on hardware..)
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.