[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could someone tell me if there is something wrong with either
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 1462364307395.png (567 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1462364307395.png
567 KB, 900x900
Could someone tell me if there is something wrong with either of these sentences?

>I am supposed to be cleaning the house right now
>I am supposedly cleaning the house right now

Don't these two sentences have the same meaning? Is the second one wrong?
>>
They have similar meanings, but differing implications.
The second one implies that you're slacking off. It's grammatically correct, but would still sound strange if used in a conversation. Are you ESL?
>>
Supposedly, I am cleaning right now.
>>
>>119546
That's still implying that he's slacking off. Unless that's the intent, it will sound strange used in a conversation.
>>
>>119544
>>119554
I am ESL, yes. Making it sound like I am implying that I am slacking off was my intention, however. I had someone who is a native English speaker tell me that it's weird to use "supposedly" if I am talking about myself but I still don't really get what he meant.
>>
supposedly implies there is some doubt about the truth of the statement.

I am supposedly cleaning would imply you are not sure weather you are cleaning or not

I am supposed to be cleaning implies you should be cleaning but aren't
>>
>>119558
American English is the only correct English
>>
>>119558
Yeah it makes more sense using it on someone else

>John is supposed to be cleaning the house right now
means that he should be cleaning the house, but instead he's just sitting next to you playing games.

>John is supposedly cleaning the house right now
means that you believe he is cleaning the house, but it is possible that he's just shitposting instead.
>>
>>119570
You are a fucking retard. Please discontinue posting.
>>
>>119567
So, saying I am supposedly doing something makes me sound like I don't know what I am doing?

>>119571
I see. Thanks.
>>
>>119576
I am supposedly cleaning the house sounds like you may be cleaning but not doing it properly
>>
>>119587
Yeah but that's what I want to make it sound like. Is it correct to use "supposedly" in that case?
>>
File: smug pepe.jpg (105 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
smug pepe.jpg
105 KB, 800x800
>>119575
What's the matter? Can't accept the fact that the Land of Freedom is superior?
>>
>>119558
You can only use "supposedly" to talk about yourself when there's a third-party (either stated or implied) to do the supposing, because otherwise you would be saying that you guessed you were doing something and at the same time you knew you weren't.
>>
>>119592
yes
>>
>>119593
I'm american. When did the person you replied to say anything about which country's english was better?
>>
>>119587
>>119576
>So, saying I am supposedly doing something makes me sound like I don't know what I am doing?
It has three disjoint meanings:

- you've deceived someone into thinking you're cleaning the house when actually you're doing something else
"I'm supposedly on duty, but no-one will notice one joint in the walk-in".

- you actually are cleaning the house, but you're so incompetent that the house isn't actually getting cleaned
"Bob's supposedly cleaning the walk-in today, so you'd best come in early and do it properly".

- you or someone else has said you'll do something, but the speaker doesn't believe you'll actually do it
"the boss is supposedly giving us a raise next month".
>>
>>119542
>>I am supposed to be cleaning the house right now
means you should be doing it, but you are slacking/procrastinating

>>I am supposedly cleaning the house right now
you would say this if your mom told you to clean your room, but you went to your room and your friend called you. meaning your mom thinks you are cleaning your room, but you are busy talking on the phone.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.