[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello there. Thirtysomething man going back to college to train
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: pokemonequasion.png (11 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
pokemonequasion.png
11 KB, 400x200
Hello there. Thirtysomething man going back to college to train for a better career. I have chosen to pursue a degree in either Computer Security/Forensics or Network Administration and Security. My question is, What is the highest level of math I need to know to do either of these? I'll admit that math has always been a weak subject for me my entire life and I need to know what to prepare for. Thank you.
>>
>>115879
>Thirtysomething man going back to college to train for a better career.
>Computer Security/Forensics or Network Administration and Security
>math has always been a weak subject for me

I say this with the utmost respect, and do not wish to be an asshole in the slightest, but you really should consider a different field.
>>
File: namekreact.jpg (36 KB, 500x396) Image search: [Google]
namekreact.jpg
36 KB, 500x396
>>115885
Thank you. I came here for honesty. It was just that I have friends in IT making high 5 figure salaries with the intelligence(outside of their jobs) of a wet brick. You are not an asshole, just someone who is a straight shooter. Gotta respect that.
>>
>>115889
It's possible for you to do it, but I've seen many people in your kind of situation struggle hard and still wind up failing in the end.
>>
>>115896
I still have to talk to the advisor(s) at the school. Just come to realize that construction is a young mans game, and injuries are starting to catch up to me. Need to change before I bust myself up for good. If I can give a tip back, use the brain, not the body, to earn your living.
>>
>>115902
>use the brain, not the body, to earn your living.
I'm a botanist so 90% of the time i'm doing both.
>>
>>115879
Don't quote me on this because this isn't my field, but I think it might be something like this:

You definitely will want to learn algebra. Not because it's required for IT but because everyone should learn it. Maybe some basic calculus after, but I don't think that's required. If you get heavy into cryptography you'll need to learn number theory. Also if you want to go more down the programming path take a good discrete math course.
>>
>>115906
Yup, that sounds about right. Pretty good balance. I'm always happy to find honest people here.
>>
File: codebreak.jpg (29 KB, 271x400) Image search: [Google]
codebreak.jpg
29 KB, 271x400
>>115910
I know I'm already slated for algebra (Compass Test told me that). And I actually have this book on my shelf that may help with the cryptography. Thank you.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.