[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Give me recommendations for the most beautiful animated movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11
File: 5_centimeters_per_second.jpg (142 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
5_centimeters_per_second.jpg
142 KB, 1600x900
Give me recommendations for the most beautiful animated movies or series. Doesn't have to be japanese, doesn't have to be a full-feature, can be shorts.
>>
File: Naginoasukara02.jpg (114 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Naginoasukara02.jpg
114 KB, 1280x720
P.A. works studio is quite good when it comes to this. My favourite looking Anime was Nagi no Asukara.
>>
Pantema Inverted
>>
>>115155
Thanks, but seen it.
>>115154
Got anything more stylistically striking or abstract.
>>
The Wings of Honneamise
>>
>>115163
If ics can't catch it all. Watch Promotion Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTqWcpoH0Dg

Or read the reviews:
--Animation--
Oh the burden of not having an 11/10 rating.

If there is one thing you will realize within the first few minutes of the very first episode, it is that the visuals of Nagi-Asu are simply out of this world phenomenal. I'm not talking as much about the facial expressions etcetera although those are certainly very good as well, but this category is all about the environments. Everything involving the sea in this anime is breathtaking. Absolutely stunning. The underwater world and its submerged town has all kinds of marine creatures swimming around everywhere in perfect detail, and the lighting coming through the ocean surface (which works sort of like the sky in this case) and how it refracts with the water looked almost futuristic at times. P.A. Works really outdid themselves this time around.

That is not to say that the surface world is that much less impressively looking in any way, as the animation quality of this show is just all-round top notch. I don't really have much to say about it however other than the fact that it is really solid throughout; it's just that it kind of gets outshined simply by how gorgeous the water world of Nagi no Asukara is. I really cannot praise it enough.
>>
When Marnie was There
>>
File: ppt.jpg (128 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
ppt.jpg
128 KB, 1280x720
>>115169

-non jap animations

The Painting
The Thief and the Cobbler
Waking Life
The Triplets of Belleville
The Illusionist

-jap

Mushishi
Rebuild of Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop + Movie
Samurai X: Trust & Betrayal + OVA
Spirited Away / My Neightbor Totoro
Akira
GitS
Princess Mononoke
Sword of the Stranger
The Girl Who Leapt Throught Time
Nagi-Asu: A Lull in the Sea

-interesting aesthethics

Genius Party + GP Beyond
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
Michiko & Hatchin
Fantastic Planet
The Animatrix
Waltz with Bashir
Mind Game
The Diary of Tortov Roddle
The Tatami Galaxy
Persepolis
>>
>>115133
Rolling girls looks really good.
>>
File: sots1.jpg (143 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
sots1.jpg
143 KB, 1920x1080
While the animation itself is average, Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea have some really beautiful designs and are both worth checking out.

Also that recent Brazilian movie, Boy and the World, is pretty and colorful. Feels kind of stretched out at points though.
>>
>>115169
>>115183
>>115266
>>115330
Seen those, but thanks. Lots of beautiful movies here.
>>115186
Even more, but haven't seen Walking Life and Nagi-Asu. Guess I will check out Nagi-Asu then.
>>
File: Natsume.Yuujinchou.full_.36804.jpg (509 KB, 1602x2154) Image search: [Google]
Natsume.Yuujinchou.full_.36804.jpg
509 KB, 1602x2154
Dunno if you mean beautiful animation or beautiful story, but...

Natsume Yuujinchou is the most beautiful (story-wise) anime I've seen. Certainly the most consistently poignant and gentle. 4 seasons, with a 5th on the way.

If you're meaning beautiful animation, I can't help you--I'm not a good judge of animation quality.
>>
On the topic of anime can anyone give me a name for this?
https://45.media.tumblr.com/f8900fb86d9b112cb0a922de556825a4/tumblr_o4kb0lgh0c1ret4soo1_540.gif
>>
Beautiful in terms of story: "Ame & yuki" a.k.a. "wolf kids"

A story about 2 sinlings growing up as half wolfes (they can transform whenever they want) trying to get accepted in society. At a certain point they realize they have to decide whether to live as human or wolf sinve both doesnt work out. Absolutely heartwarming story with an interesting ending that will make you cry.

Beautiful in terms of visuals: I never cared about visuals which is why I've never seen them, but "the garden of words" and "5cm per second" seem to have mindblowing visuals.
>>
You got a MAL? I don't feel like throwing shit at you which you've already seen.
>>
>>115401
Kizumonogatari
>>
The Old Man and the Sea

https://youtu.be/ZMoIoiN5aSQ
>>
>>115553
Jesus christ is every frame of this a painting?
>>
>>115567
Two and a half hand painted years
>>
>>115584
Fuck that. Looks amazing though.
>>
Ernest & Celestine
>>
>>115515
Yes, I do. Guess it might help:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Pacal_II
>>115553
>>115650
Seen those, both were pretty damn gorgeous.
>>
The Secret of Kells and Song of the Sea.
They're so gorgeous I literally cry while watching them.
>>
File: dickwaving.jpg (114 KB, 600x479) Image search: [Google]
dickwaving.jpg
114 KB, 600x479
>>115133
>>
File: space-dandy-ep7.jpg (140 KB, 1440x810) Image search: [Google]
space-dandy-ep7.jpg
140 KB, 1440x810
space dandy
>>
>>115174
The visuals in NnA were pretty but the animation is weightless and overall lackluster.

If it's about animation, KyoAni's shows are generally the most consistently good for TV anime. But OP posted Shinkai so I'm guessing he's not about the animation but about the backgrounds and direction and such. KyoAni's backgrounds are nothing really special but their direction is very good.
>>
>>115763
>skipping ZZ
gross
>>
Kyoukai no Kanata mirai hen for animation and graphics;
Shin sekai yori for the story;
Tamako love story for cuteness.
>>
File: lmaosotruerofldoyouagreeanon.jpg (122 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
lmaosotruerofldoyouagreeanon.jpg
122 KB, 600x800
Any animated movies that are a romance but are still happy, I'm sensing a lack of happy romance movies that are animated.
>>
>>116040
Oh, I really admire Kyoani shows for their character animation. I just posted Shinkai since I thought it would be a neutral choice. I was being cautious and thought that If I picked any of the works I consider to be the most beautiful there'd be a large amount of shitposting in response which would derail the thread.
>>
>>116045
I can't say I enjoyed most of the original Gundams, Tomino's visual direction is pretty stale, even in Turn A which I enjoyed the most. Watched CCA just to end my journey with UC.
>>
Robot Carnival if you can find it.
Especially the Presence, Cloud, and Chicken Man and Red Neck/Nightmare segments.
Beautiful stuff for it's time, and it still holds up.
>>
Oh, fuck you for posting 5 Centimeters Per Second and making me cry like child for an extraordinary woman who was likely wasn't right for me but still extraordinary.
>>
dunno if youre still here but Princess Arete looks pretty great in my opinion
>>
Kek, I remember seeing your grid of /tv/ a long time ago. Since you seem to like It's Such a Beautiful Day, check out Hertzfeldt's The Meaning of Life, his most beautiful work in my opinion. There's also: Treasure Planet (bit of a guilty pleasure for me, but there are some absolutely fantastic images there), the French short Carn, Hedgehog in the Fog (although since you love Tale of Tales you've probably already seen it), The Man Who Planted Trees (must see), The Snowman, and I've also always had a soft spot for 9.
>>
>>116843
>>116991
Thanks, some stuff I haven't seen among those recommendations so I'll check those out.
>>
>>115133
Garden of works is great technically
>>
Kara no Kyoukai.
Best written, best animated, best OST, best everything.

That is, until Heaven's Feel is released in 2017
>>
>>115133

Ghost in the Shell (1995) is a classic. (Jap)
I think it really explores what it is to be human. It was also one of the big influences to the Matrix.
>>
>>117084
Best anime movie both visually and conceptually imo
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.