[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starter Pack
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: 1236294976144.png (531 KB, 1015x768) Image search: [Google]
1236294976144.png
531 KB, 1015x768
Is there anything you would add (or take out) to this "starter pack" of anime I made?

Evangelion (+End of Evangelion, skip rebuilds until much later), Cowboy Bebop, Black Lagoon, Jormungand, Uppotte, Berserker, Ghost in the Shell (first 2 films and the SAC), Death Note, Code Geass, Kill La Kill, Steins;Gate, Full Metal Alchemist (reboot: Brotherhood), Madoka Magica, Blood-C, Bakano, Katanagatari, Guilty Crown, Princess Mononoke, Toradora, Cromartie High, Fate/Stay Night ubw and F/Z, Monogatari, Gurren Lagann, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, OPM, Serial Experiments Lain, Initial D, Gunsmith Cats, Outlaw Star, Ergo Proxy, Trigun, Wolf's Rain, The Big O, Attack on Titan, Yamato 2199, Sora no Woto

Pic slightly related
>>
Haven't seen all of these, but I'd take out Kill la Kill, not that I don't like it, but I don't think it's a good "starter" because of its rampant nudity. Gurren Lagann is more "normal," even though it has its fair share of the boobs.

Even though Princess Mononoke is on the list, I'd add Spirited Away.

JoJo you might want to specify which season and justify your choices, because I think that Stardust Crusaders and Battle For Egypt is pretty drawn out for newcomers.

Maybe give them an order. If you like X then start with X. Bebop is a great universal first anime.
>>
File: GunsmithCatsRally01.jpg (58 KB, 706x540) Image search: [Google]
GunsmithCatsRally01.jpg
58 KB, 706x540
>>114742
It's a solid list.

+1 for Gunsmith Cats

I would add Texhnolyze, Bakemonogatari, Haruhi and K-ON.
>>
+ trigun
>>
>>114754
>>114761
Thanks anons, I'll make the adjustments

I tried to make it variable so someone that likes X could also give the list to someone that likes Y and they can both find animes that they like.

>>114762
Already in the list
>>
>>114742
I would absolutely add The Vision of Escaflowne. It is my personal favorite anime of all time, and I feel like it gets completely overlooked because it was in the same era as Evangelion/Trigun/Cowboy Bebop, despite being of equal quality. I think the reason may be because it's original dub tried to totally change the story (in the same vein of card captor sakura making the supporting male the main character).

Escaflowne is, in my opinion, one of the greatest classic animes of all time. it blends together at least a dozen different series archetypes. it's shonen, it's shoujo, it's got mecha, it's got steampunk, it's got magitech, it's got romance, it's got politics, it's got adventure, it's got prophecy, it's got alternate-earth, the list is fucking endless. the animation, while non-standard (they've got crazy noses and absurdly long legs) is top-fucking-notch. the voice acting is top tier for every major character. I could list more positive qualities, but i have to skip to my final point:

this show has literally ZERO filler. every single episode picks up exactly where the last one left off. the entire 26 episode series is one continuous story with no gaps or timejumps whatsoever. it's like one ten hour movie cut up into a show.

the only thing i will criticize, the first episode gives an incredibly wrong impression of what the show is about. it makes it look like a shoujo slice-of-life show, which could not be further from the truth. power through the first episode and by the 2nd you will be hooked unless your taste is utter shit.
>>
>>114767
I can't tell if this is pasta or passion
>>
>>114768
passion, i promise you. I am totally baffled why everyone else doesn't love this show as much as I do. I have seen all it's contemporaries, (eva/bebop/etc) and like them quite well. but no-one ever talks about escalfowne. have you seen it?
>>
>>114769
I've not seen it, but you seem to praise it pretty well. I'll start watching it tomorrow.

Adding to the starter pack, read the Berserk manga. It has incredible artwork and really great characters/arcs. It's way deeper than just a blood orgy like many people claim.

The worst arc yet was the fucking pirate one though, it dragged on forever. It's later so don't worry about it.
>>
>>114742
don't listen to
>>114754
if you don't have a problem with nudity, or really near-nudity in kill la kills case, you'll enjoy it. i didn't get into anime until around the time it came out, and i enjoyed it thoroughly as one of the first anime i watched.
also, try watching Dragon Ball, the first anime.
>>
>blood c
The series is utter trash until the blender bunnies make an appearance lol
>attack on titan
Better off with a Hellsing Ultimate for gory violence. More charm, too.
>katanagatari
Replace with rurouni kenshin / samurai x
>the big O
Flawless. +1
>>
File: Rightside031escaflowne.jpg (96 KB, 856x1023) Image search: [Google]
Rightside031escaflowne.jpg
96 KB, 856x1023
>>114769
to expatiate; this show has some of the all time greats. the music is by the legendary yoko kanno. i will grant that the main male and female leads are somewhat bland, but the supporting cast is utterly stellar. the main male's brother is voiced by jouji nakata, of hellsing's alucard fame, IMO the most badass deep-voiced VA in anime history. the mecha designs are fan-fucking-tastic, blending steampunk and magitech in equal measure. the plot twists are incredible and not predictable in the slightest. it makes subversive references to the real world in ways that I didn't actually realize until watching it for the fourth time. there is a throw-away character sometime in the first few episodes who is the biggest badass i've ever seen in anime because he.. well fuck i apparently can't use spoilers on /wsr/.

the show in totality amounts to a love story told amidst a war over the very nature of reality.
>>
>>114772
>I've not seen it, but you seem to praise it pretty well. I'll start watching it tomorrow.

cool. just make sure to give it at least until the third ep. the first and sort of the second give a very bad impression of what the show actually is about. the first one makes it seem like a stupid highschool drama, and the second takes a bit of time to pick up. the third is where you're finally into the real world of the show.
>>
>>114785
oh, and for the love of god, watch it SUBBED. i'm not a purist who demands subs all the time, but the dub of escaflowne is one of the worst in anime history.
>>
>>114767
>>114769
>>114782
>>114785
>>114791

kek, now I want to rewatch that show on the music alone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLk98vf3pMU
the music that plays during the "next episode" segment, and, while great, not nearly the coolest music from the show
>>
>>114785
>>114791
Hah don't worry, I prefer subs of media over dubs regardless of the country of origin.

I'm pretty excited to watch this now, thanks a lot anon
>>
>>114781
>AoT
>charmless
U wot
>>
>>114796
my pleasure. again, i don't get why it isn't on the charts the same way evangelion or bebop are. i guess maybe it's just because it only aired on adult swim much later with a much worse dub and edit.
>>
>>114797
not that anon but what 'charm' did AoT ever have? it had visceral violence, it had some worldbuilding, but 'charm'? maybe potato girl, but what else?
>>
>>114798
Yea I did a quick google search, it has fairly good ratings. It must just be living in the shadows of other really good anime.

Also I'm really diggin that character artstyle.
>>
>>114800
Oh you meant "cutesy" charm. Yea that's lacklustre in AoT. The Doctor is charming in a weird way.

It's a little too serious most of the time. Like a soapbox drama.
>>
>>114801
> It must just be living in the shadows of other really good anime.
that's probably it. again it was in the same timeframe of the more-well-known greats of the 90s

>Also I'm really diggin that character artstyle.
bless you for that, most people seem to go nuts over the long legs and giant noses, while I think they are great for their break from the norm.

If you ever want an entirely Shoujo anime with a similar style, check out Kakumei no Utena (revolutionary girl utena). it's a highschool slice of life turned entirely on its head with yuri, existential, surreal, metaphysical, and romantic themes
>>
>>114808
>Kakumei no Utena
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaVrjWcSeaM

the story of a girl fighting endless duels over possession of the power to rewrite the world with the power of god. and how spicy curry should be, and where there's an elephant, and if you watch the movie, she transforms into a car for a metaphorical race against adolescences.

what?
>>
>>114742
Where do I download your starter pack senpai?
>>
>>114837
not OP, but most of what he's listed in that first post is easily available for torrenting on the piratebay or nyaatorrents. the rest is easily found by googling "name-of-show" + torrent
>>
>CTRL-F
>NHK
>(0 results)

Welcome to the NHK
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.