[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old PC renewal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
So I got my hand on old (~2010) computer for free. I am thinking on investing a little money to renew it and gift it to family member.

I would like to ask if it is worth it and if it is possible to do what I have in mind.

PC specs:
CPU: i5-760
CPU cooler: looks like Arctic Freezer 7
GPU: HD 5770
MOBO: Gigabyte P55 UD3
RAM: 4x 2GB DDR3
PSU: Some generic 80+ certification non modular

Fans are noisy as hell and temperatures are a little steep. I am thinking to replace CPU cooler with Hyper Evo 212+

I am looking for GPU cooler replacement as well - is anything like this possible? Where should I look for it?

Also would it be worth it to add 2x 8GB RAM instead? CPU and MOBO supports it.

It came with Windows 7, should I upgrade it to 10? Would it be any benefit?

Also pic related, its the card, fan is extremely noisy and it can reach 80°C and throttles.
>>
A lot of older PCs won't upgrade from 7 to 10, especially Dells. You can always roll back, but you'll save some time by checking the manufacturers's website first.

Replacing the memory sticks won't noticeably improve the performance.
>>
>>136016
Well i is not a pre built computer so I guess there is no OEM lock for OS. Would Win 10 improve performance in games for example? Because that is what this computer will probably used for most of time.

How about GPU cooler, am I able to replace it somehow? It is noisy and ineffective.
>>
>>136000
>Fans are noisy as hell and temperatures are a little steep. I am thinking to replace CPU cooler with Hyper Evo 212+
If the heatsink fan isn't noisy, just replace the thermal paste - if it is, you could get by with a lot cheaper cooler
If case fans are noisy, yeah, they should be replaced - make sure PSU fan isn't making most of the noise

>I am looking for GPU cooler replacement as well - is anything like this possible? Where should I look for it?
Sure it's possible but I wouldn't bother - if the fan is that noisy I would just get a cheap new or used card

>Also would it be worth it to add 2x 8GB RAM instead? CPU and MOBO supports it.
No

>It came with Windows 7, should I upgrade it to 10? Would it be any benefit?
No

>>136031
>no OEM lock for OS
Just because it's not prebuilt doesn't mean it's not OEM - all my self-built computers have OEM Win 7
To see if computer has OEM or retail Windows - check product ID in My Computer properties
If the ID has the letters OEM as part of the ID, it's OEM - if not, it's retail
>>
I have the exact same card from my 2010 build now running in a PC I built for my Dad, temps are far lower than that. I think there must be airflow issues.

It's hard to know what to recommend without knowing the person and what they want. Some people are fucked in the head and don't care about their PC sounding like a jet engine.
>>
>>136049
>If the heatsink fan isn't noisy, just replace the thermal paste - if it is, you could get by with a lot cheaper cooler
If case fans are noisy, yeah, they should be replaced - make sure PSU fan isn't making most of the noise

Good idea, I will try to repaste it first, I got MX-4 which should be good paste. Heatsink fan is noisy and worst thing is it is not one of those standard fans that are screwed to heatsink.

PSU fan seems ok and I already removed case fans, it was miracle that they were still working.

>Sure it's possible but I wouldn't bother - if the fan is that noisy I would just get a cheap new or used card
Any ideas on where should I look for them? I will compare its price to price of replacement GPU and see which is better.

>No
Allright, thank you

>Just because it's not prebuilt doesn't mean it's not OEM - all my self-built computers have OEM Win 7
To see if computer has OEM or retail Windows - check product ID in My Computer properties
If the ID has the letters OEM as part of the ID, it's OEM - if not, it's retail
No OEM mark, looks like retail.
>>
>>136056
I did some benchmarks and ran Witcher 2, that is where I got temps.

I can not do much about airflow, there is one rear position and two side positions. No down up or front positions.
>>
File: Mercury KM-86 LED.png (3 MB, 1737x1417) Image search: [Google]
Mercury KM-86 LED.png
3 MB, 1737x1417
Allright so I found case at manufacturer site. It is Mercury KM 86 with LED (apparently there is one 4pin PWN fan regulator). So it has one 120mm fan position in fron and one 92mm position in rear.

Also PSU is Cooler Master GX550W, I will see if I can replace fan too.

So I am thinking to completely disassemble it. blow all the dust away from every computer part.

Then I will repaste CPU cooler and GPU cooler (I got some thermal pads if they get damaged in disassembly)

I will replace case fans with Corsair SP120 (high performance) since I got one spare lying around and one 92mm ARCTIC F9 TC (have to buy this one) since it can adjust its rpm according to temperature.

I will put HDDs in top position, next to DVD so they do not obstruct airflow. Then I will try to do some cable management even if its not really possible with this case and PSU.

If all of this does not help with temperatures and noise then I am thinking of getting some GPU cooler from ARCTIC Accelero series.

I really do this just as a hobby, also I am going to gift it to a family member so it is a good thing as bonus. I will try to fit my budget to 100 euro.

Also maybe I could just replace GPU completely. What GPU should I look for that would still give decent performance and would not be bottlenecked by CPU.
>>
>>136398
You can get some great deals on secondhand gpus. I've spotted the first gtx970s going for around $130.
Can't go wrong for that price. If you want to go even cheaper, I guess an amd r9 280 would do.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.