[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you guys recommend me some good weird fiction and new weird
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: 1460407072690.jpg (45 KB, 407x407) Image search: [Google]
1460407072690.jpg
45 KB, 407x407
Can you guys recommend me some good weird fiction and new weird books? I loved the southern reach trilogy, I'm looking for more like it.Movies and comics would be great too, I know Annihilation is getting a movie.
>>
File: GR.jpg (37 KB, 253x397) Image search: [Google]
GR.jpg
37 KB, 253x397
come for the banana breakfast, and stay for the protagonist escaping in a hot air balloon, dressed in a felt pig costume, from a squadron of technical sergeants who want to kill him because he pushed their racist major off the roof of a train.
>>
>>109988
Thanks anon. Anything else?
>>
File: 1536697022-500x500.jpg (45 KB, 344x500) Image search: [Google]
1536697022-500x500.jpg
45 KB, 344x500
The Keys to the Kingdom series may be a YA series (albeit from before all YA series were clones of The Hunger Games), but it's trippy as fuck and full of great concepts and weird alternate dimension and time shit. It's about a 12-year-old kid trying to save the universe from destruction by destroying 7 ancient guardians who represent each day of the week but also the 7 deadly sins to steal their weapons that manipulate the pocket dimension at the center of the universe where they live and freeing a sentient Will and Testament that manifests itself as animals made of paper and words.
>>
>>110728
Thanks. Garth Nix in general is a great author, YA or not.
>>
File: 81Dsxvs2-2L.jpg (405 KB, 1628x2145) Image search: [Google]
81Dsxvs2-2L.jpg
405 KB, 1628x2145
>>110732
Also, if you're looking for stuff that's less surreal concepts used for cosmic horror (because believe me, KttK gets pretty dark sometimes) and more surreal humor, the Larklight Trilogy is really good.

It's more YA, but it's a straight-up space opera that goes out of its way to have the same feel of a 19th-century pulp sci-fi novel from an alternate history where Britain made it to space first in the 1800s. The books involve space pirates, giant spiders that were created as God's first chosen people (before some asshole reality manipulator alien came into existence and fucked everything up with humans), mind-control hats from another dimension, murderous mechanical puppet show mechs, the end of the universe (as brought about by giant space moths), parasitic worms that look like Christmas pudding, and most surreal of all, a reptilian alien who doesn't have tits.

In a nutshell, the author basically went "It's space! Anything can happen!" and took an approach that comes across like the result of Jules Verne and Monty Python working together to write Spaceballs.
>>
>>110740
>cosmic horror
fuck yes, that's good shit. Weird fiction is nothing if not lovecraft-tier. Got any other recs?
>>
File: 172-Hours-on-the-Moon-cover.jpg (1020 KB, 1681x2550) Image search: [Google]
172-Hours-on-the-Moon-cover.jpg
1020 KB, 1681x2550
>>110743
Larklight goes into cosmic horror every now and again (reality manipulating aliens controlling the universe, monsters that are essentially an infinite swarm of headcrabs from an alternate timeline where the universe went back to the nothingness that existed before God created anything), but it never goes too grimdark with its premise.

172 Hours on the Moon (or DARLAH if you live in Norway) is really fucking good space horror despite being even more YA. It's about a NASA project to boost awareness for a new moon mission by giving three teenagers the chance to tag along on a mission to the moon. Shit goes incredibly bad once they get there. Like imagine if John Carpenter's The Thing had a baby with Apollo 13, and that's just about how bad it gets.
>>
>>110749
Thanks a ton anon. If you've got any other new weird-genre recs go ahead and dump 'em, I'll be retiring for the night.
>>
>>110752
I'm retiring for the night too, but if the thread's still up in the morning, I'll be happy to give a few more recommendations. G'night!
>>
You still here, OP?
>>
"A scanner darkly"

NOT the film, the book.
>>
>>110910
Still here.
>>110914
Is the film any good though?
>>
if you're looking for weird scifi and haven't read the hitchhiker's trilogy yet, that's pretty good. it's older, and I can't really gauge how well it's aged, but I have enjoyed it every time I re-read it.

franz kafka wrote some weird-ass shit too. start with the metamorphosis and go from there.

>a scanner darkly
seconding philip k. dick for good cyberpunk/sci-fi weirdness.

neil gaiman is also good if you want more fantasy-ish weirdness.

hunter s. thompson and william s. burroughs are good for drug-induced weirdness. idk how much of their stuff is actually fiction except to the extent that fiction and hallucinations are both not real. but can be entertaining nonetheless.

other individual books:
house of leaves
the wasp factory
the voynich manuscript, if for no other reason than nobody can figure the damn thing out
>>
File: ravens_gate2.jpg (673 KB, 945x1453) Image search: [Google]
ravens_gate2.jpg
673 KB, 945x1453
Anon with all the recommendations from yesterday here. Sorry I haven't been here all day, I've been busy with finals shit.

Anyways, The Power of Five (or The Gatekeepers if you live in America) by Anthony Horowitz is amazing, and one of the most fucked-up YA series I ever read.

Basically it takes the whole "a few special kids are supposed to develop superpowers and save the world" trope and takes it to the darkest possible conclusion. They may have powers, but the enemies they're fighting have been around for millennia, have enough control over the world to gain a cult with millions of followers, have influence over law enforcement, politics, military forces, and everything else you can imagine, and are totally willing to slaughter billions just to ensure that these five kids can't ever meet to bring about the prophecy.

Also, they're the fucking Old Ones. At least, they're the monsters that inspired Lovecraft to write the Cthulhu Mythos.

Even though the books are marketed as YA, they're creepy enough to give Steven King's better stuff a run for his money (hell, the very first one has a 14-year-old tied down with barbed wire and about to have his throat slit in a ritual sacrifice). If you want incredibly dark cosmic horror, it's a great series.
>>
>>109976
Not a novel, but Jojo's Bizarre Adventure certainly lives up to its name, and it's a rollicking good time besides.

There's manga, oneshots, and a few spinoff light novels to read.

The eighth part is ongoing, as is the animated adaption of the series.

http://pastebin.com/CJPJP2Hi
has links to read it translated.
>>
>>111354
Yeah I've been interested in jojo, especially parts 1-3. Do you know any other new weird anime and manga? I know boogiepop phantom.
>>
>>111520
FLCL, Dead Leaves, and (if you don't mind insane amounts of vulgar humor) Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt are all good.
>>
Anything by Jeff Vandermeer.
Also OP was referring to specific genres of scifi:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weird_fiction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Weird
>>
>>111128
I second this reccomendation
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.