[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
cant boot new computer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsr/ - Worksafe Requests

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 6hutd4.jpg (29 KB, 283x357) Image search: [Google]
6hutd4.jpg
29 KB, 283x357
Just built a new desktop, same hdd new everything else. I didnt reformat the hdd before i did this, what can i do to get it to boot up? It only boots to the advanced bootup screen for windows 7 and no matter ahich option i hit it will load for a second and then the screen will go blank. I even tried booting it sith ubuntu and heard the login noise but it never went passed the advanced boot up screen. It would be nice to keep whats already on my hdd but i wouldnt mind reformatting, the only thing is i had to use parts from my old pc to build this one and id rather not have to spend another 4 hours taking apart everything, rebuilding, and then take it apart again and rebuild. Any suggestions?

Tldr: need help booting up new pc build with old hdd, dont want to build up old pc just to reformat the hdd on it.

Any help is appreciated!
>>
>>10746
Have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?
>>
Any error messages? You sure the HDD is connected to the #1 USB port on the mobo? It won't boot otherwise.
>>
>>10765
No error messages, ill recheck the sata connections but im almost positive its hooked in right.
>>
>>10784
Never hurts to double check everything.
>>
>>10788
Its plugged correctly. I just plugged it into the sata2 port and nothinf changes, it doesnt seem to recognize it. Ill tinker with it a bit, thanks for the idea
>>10752
Multiple times
>>
>>10746
You can't just transfer a Windows install like that. The last Windows that worked that way was Windows 95, and that was because 9x could boot itself using BIOS calls, just like DOS.

You need to put your old PC back together, boot it, and replace your SATA driver with a Microsoft generic SATA controller / Microsoft generic AHCI controller*. Then put the HDD in your new machine, making sure to put it on whatever port makes it appear in the same place as it did on the previous one.

* this doesn't exist for Windows 7, so if you're using AHCI you are boned.
>>
>>10746
>Just built a new desktop, same hdd new everything else. I didnt reformat the hdd before i did this
It's generally a good idea to reformat your HD if you're replacing pretty much every other component. The drivers from the first install can very likely have issues with the new hardware. If you don't want to lose or backup your existing data, you can always just throw a new drive in for the OS and just use your existing drive as storage.

>>10814
This will also work under some circumstances. What I said above would probably less work however.
>>
>>10847
*be less work
>>
>>10746
You can format the drive and reinstall Windows. If you're changing motherboard chipsets it's necessary.

>>10847
>If you don't want to lose or backup your existing data, you can always just throw a new drive in for the OS and just use your existing drive as storage.
Wouldn't it be preferable to create a partition on the existing one to serve as the new OS partition and keep the existing one as storage? Or vice versa: create one for storage and format the current one for the new OS. Either way you don't have to buy a whole new drive.
>>
>>10860
Making a new partition on a drive with data already on it can risk data loss if it's not done properly. If you have a desktop, it's probably a wise idea to have a SSD for your OS and a high capacity HDD for everything else anyways.
>>
>>10867
I figured this guy was on a budget or something, but then again he does seem pretty clueless so that's probably good advice.
>>
File: 1450822909663.png (227 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1450822909663.png
227 KB, 2000x2000
>>
I don't want to make a new thread, but I have an issue where my programs on my computer just randomly crash. If one of them crashes, it means nearly everything else will at SOME point so I have to restart. If I restart enough, it will stop. Sometimes everything works fine on first bootup. sometimes I will have weeks of it working fine. Then the next week I'll spend 8 hours a day waiting for it to work correctly before I can do anything

I don't know what to do besides entirely get a new computer, which I pretty much need to do anyway, but I don't have enough money
>>
>>11036
What's your operating system? Depending on that your first troubleshooting step could be a refresh.
>>
>>11087
windows 7
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.