[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, so as a 23 year old with no music experience who just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /wsg/ - Worksafe GIF

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: trancebass.webm (4 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
trancebass.webm
4 MB, 640x360
Alright, so as a 23 year old with no music experience who just got a free bass guitar, is it possible for me to ever learn to do this? I feel like my fingers just aren't designed to move with such precision and my mind is definitely not sharp in any way.
>>
File: 1467692387606.gif (862 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1467692387606.gif
862 KB, 500x500
>>1169307
absolutely. like all musicians who are starting out you have a lot of time ahead of you of sucking and then being mediocre, but if you stick with it, practice consistently and with intentionality and good form, the sky is the limit my man. just stick with it and learn to love it

t. guitarist for 19 years
>>
File: 1404590252522.webm (3 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1404590252522.webm
3 MB, 480x270
>>1169313
>>1169313

>Be bored brown man
>Broke right arm as a child
>Pretty sure I had to learn to use my left
>Can't seem to find a left handed guitar, figured it'd be no sweat
>Discover that I've far more then a simple "broken" limb and instead some weird ass minor (But significant in the case of guitar learning) fine motor skill dysfunction

>Walk into my office and stare at wrong handed Dean guitar I wasted 200$ on. Still need a fucking DI unit to help with signal stability on my PC to boot.

Fucking feels bad.
>>
>>1169313
right on.
>>
>>1169307
Something something practice and some shit

idk i never had the patience to learn a craft.
>>
File: DVNO.webm (4 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
DVNO.webm
4 MB, 1280x720
>>
>>1169317
can you not simply string it opposite? or have some one do it?

I mean my pointer finger if fucked up because I cut the tip of it off when i was 2 and I have had a harder time than most learning, but I love it and even now there are guys in my town who are real shredders who like how I play. I aint Yngwie Malmsteen or the dude from Necrophagist but I can write a good melody and make the thing sing.
>>
>>1169374
not that guy, but you may have to file down part of the nut so that the low E can string can fit where the thinner high E normally sits
>>
yea im a music teacher and had students start in their 50s..
>>
>>1169307
bass player here
gig you posted aint hard, i could pull it off in about a hour, just because learning all the structure is a pain, but the tapping itself is just 4 finger tap aka no shit.
playing since i was 15 (20 now) but if a teen during puberty (mind works like shit in this period imho) like me could learn you can too
>>
>>1169307
Learning music will make your mind sharp and if you learn and practise, you will get good with it.
>>
>>1169307

Music teacher here.

My best tip is to just keep at it and remember practice SLOWLY. Learn stuff at 25% the tempo it's supposed to go, that way you'll instantly know when it sounds bad and you can correct it and get it into your fingers. When you got it at 25%, bump it up to 35% and so on until it feels good.

Another good tip is to take breaks, if you haven't played bass before it's gonna work muscles/tissue you aren't used to using. Do practice sessions of perhaps 10 - 20 minutes at a time, 5 minute break and then go at it again. Rinse and repeat.
>>
>>1169744

Also, it's gonna sound "bad" at first, but don't let that discourage you. You'll get it eventually.

A good way of developing your musicality and letting yourself become more creative in the long run is to start studying some basic theory.

Learn the major and minor scales, and the pentatonic scales and learn what the notes on your fretboard are called. This will help you recognize and internalize patterns.
>>
>>1169747

But the GREATEST way of developing your musicality and letting yourself become more creative is to listen to great bassists play. If you have a favorite player, rip their stuff to an mp3 and load it into a software that can slow down stuff (I recommend Transcribe) and start picking out stuff he/she does.
>>
>>1169307
definitely. also your example sounds much harder than it is because this guy heavily relies on his delay effect to pump out that many notes. you will need a little finger practice and tapping though so i would call it somewhat intermediate.
>>
>>1169307
It's incredible what you can do with practice and patience. Don't try to rush it you can't be good overnight, nobody can.
>>
>>1169307
That's not even a bass guitarist.
You wanna make those sounds?
Buy a keyboard.
>>
>>1169803

>implying musical instruments are meant for one thing
>implying you can't be creative with the tools of your choice
>implying innovation comes from a narrow minded view
>>
>>1169821
Calm down >implying
Op needs to start at the basics of bass guitar, and not to become disillusioned by fret wankers and cock tappers like the guy in the vid.
>>
>>1169830

That's true, but if he wants to do be able to do stuff like that, it's important that he's not discouraged by people telling him that "Nu-uh, you can't do that, gotta spend 10 years transcribing James Jamerson first".

He'll find joy in just being in the pocket eventually, but we must let the guy start exploring music in his own way first.
>>
>>1169307

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

>Practice
>Practice
>Practice
>>
my favorite song to play bass to, but it fucks my fingers up for some reason
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FECUG7k5gY
>>
>>1169821
Well what OP posted is definitely not really good as an "experimental/innovative" song either. It falls into the category of "I just bought this delay pedal and don't know when I'm using far to much delay yet". If you want to play solo bass, do it without effects first. That way you'll learn how to play the melody, the chords and the bassline at the same time. Then you can start using effects. If you don't chaotic oversaturated songs like in the OP will follow.
>>
>>1169926

This.

OP, start transcribing this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQRV0c1KXYc
>>
>>1169371
To this day, still my absolute favorite bass solo.
>>
>not asking this on a music related/learning board
>not even posting more bass guitar webms

Mods get off your hours 13 hours dammit.
>>
>>1169317
i thought you were talking about the guy who invented slap bass for some reason
>>
>>1169307
that's why you spend years shaping them into being designed to move with such precision
>>
>>1169307
It's a combination of innate talent and many, many hours of dedicated training.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eQF4yVr7pk
>>
>>1169307
Not bothering reading all the replies, but here's my two cents.

I've just played guitar for eight years (bass for 4) and i feel semi-proficient. If i turn the guitar around lefty-side i'd be on par with you skill-wise. We're all retarded when it comes to things we don't know how to do, but it gets better. after a while it can even become easy.
>>
>>1169307
this song sounds like it belongs in maplestory, like in one of the higher level maps
>>
>>1169307
If he slapped something like that without an echo, I would cum buckets.

Also, 4 strings is still too many for a newcomer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pazmEyb_1s
>>
>>1171548

what instrument is that?
>>
>>1169371
>>1170010
Is it very hard to learn this song? What are the most difficult (but best sounding) bass solos?
>>
>>1169307
Chuck Norris was 23 years old before his career in the Air Force took him to Korea and to martial arts.

You can abso-fucking-lutely start now.
>>
>>1169307
its just hammer on and pull offs with reverb and delay effects. Just practice and you should get it down once you train your fingers.
>>
>>
>>1169307
It's doable, it just takes a TON of practice time.

I've been playing for 8 years and play lead guitar in a band, and I still have a long way to go with my playing.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEWltEd7u4E
>>
>>1169830
OP here, favorite bassist is ryan martinie so I'll be trying to learn his stuff in slow mo. Just thought someday would be cool to do this.
>>
>>1174235
Open Wikipedia article on guitar. See that it's a string instrument. Look for a catalog: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_string_instruments . Notice that the video title is in Russian. First result in Russian subcategory gives you the answer.

The video is not how it is played traditionally, player's style is just similar to OP video.
>>
>>1169307
Probably late and just repeating the thread buuuut
Anon don't even worry about that man, you'll adjust to the change
Started guitar when I was 16, 23 now. I just started piano lessons and once I'm done with learning that it's onto the cello
Never to late to learn an instrument, I even encouraged my 80 year old grandfather to learn something and he chose slide guitar because his hand lost most movement in his fingers and he's having a great time
Really uplifting to see his joy when he realises he can do things
>>
fuck are all these bass solo posts? no one explaining WHY someone should learn to play bass? Why bass is the best instrument?

Answer: Holding down the groove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH8N_jJNSR8
>>
>>1174235
Balalaika.

Played it for 4 years as a teen, you get some serious calluses.

Its really simple, first two strings on it are identical.
>>
>>1170019
What other boards allow webm with sound?
>>
>>1169307
I was in you shoes OP.
It just happened to me at a younger age.
I still can't read sheet music (mostly because I haven't bothered to learn).
I've learned all the songs I've learned how to play by ear and constant practice.
I still think the song that was the biggest pain in the ass to learn that way was Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth).
Cliff was a genius for a reason.
>>
>>1169474
>if a teen during puberty (mind works like shit in this period imho) like me could learn you can too

brain is still developing during puberty (stops at around 20). Helps a lot.
>>
>>1176282
fucking ryan martinie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpeeH0UuYo4
>>
>>1184507
POcket groove is something that you just kind of grow into. When I started learning bass at 13, I was obsessed with all that victor wooten tapping and Flea slapping. While I still love that shit to this day, I usually find myself grabbing my bass to play to disco and James Brown these days.
>>
>>1174370
As with all songs, you can "learn" to play them, memorize it. Mastering it is a different thing. That guy doesn't even do it justice if you ask me.
>>
>>1169405
I restrung a lefty guitar for a righty friend once. Easiest thing to do is just take the nut out and turn it around. Then just refile the grooves to smooth them for the strings to go over and swap the bridge around.
>>
>>1169307
That shit seems impressive, but then you will discover the effect that is delay.
>>
>>1169307

No worries OP, i was in the same position as you. It sucks at first but just keep trying to play what you want to play, though dont go with more difficult stuff straight off the bat. Start simple and work up. If there is a difficult song i want to learn i learn a simplified version of it and improve on it later.
Don't practice for very long stints, usualy as the more you get frustrated the worse you start to play and the more your fingers will hurt. Little and often is much better.
Everyone learns in their own way so their is no real right or wrong way to do things. I still consider myself a very mediocre bass player so i may not be the best person to give advice but i know i am most definately better than when i started out. Still find slapping and (especialy) tapping hard as shit though.

Semi related, my favorite bass cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7nw9e3OCbE
>>
>>1174429
awesome song

just want to point out the file name is a little misleading as that's not in itself a solo, though it does contain one
>>
I've heard Tchaikovsky was 30 or 40 when he started composition, after working civil positions and hating it. It's never too late!

Just pick bassists you love listening to and learn to play their stuff. Little by little, it comes

Not slap bass, but man John Paul Jones can play
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyhu2ysqKGk
>>
>>1169307
fakest shit i've ever seen. his fingers aren't even moving sometimes and new notes are played
>>
>>1169307
Fingertapping is literally one of the easiest things to do with any stringed instrument. Besides, he's not even playing anything particularly complex. It just sounds that way because of the reverb.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3e0ZZosehc
>>
>>1187844
It might be the effect of compressor, but he seems to skip the double notes: http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/Tokyo-Jihen---Denpa-Tsuushin/90a277ba192cd4630dee77b32ebc067c
>>
Most likely if you take acid or mushrooms and somehow manage to find a bass then after the trip and are still motivated to play it every day for 10 years this should be no problem.
>>
>>1187053
Delay effects you dumb fuck
>>
>>1171548
As long as we're posting neato 3-stringed instruments
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIIEhH7xOXg
>>
File: skooma.webm (1 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
skooma.webm
1 MB, 300x300
>>1174370
Probably some prog-metal or Rush or Maiden
>>
>>1169749
this. It is also very useful when you know what your piece/song is supposed to sound like. Like, listen to recordings daily to the point you know the whole thing by heart.
>>
>>118815 song?
>>
>>1174429
it is only one or part of a song?
>>
>>1174429
Name?
>>
>>1169307
Its all about time investment and experience.

Muscle memory will get there in time. Just do 2-3 hours everyday and you'll be good within few months.
>>
>>1174429
Sauce?
>>
>>1169307
I think that would be really easy , except when the part goes faster and that shit , that could still be done but with more practicing than the other, basically what the dude is doing is hammering on the 12th fret on the E and G string which are in a minor chord relation , while holding the 7th fret on the E and G string ,those two notes are B and D which are also in a minor relation , anyways when he presses the 12th fret , and then releases it it gives him two minor chords, basically hammer ons and pull offs, if you look at it , it's just a chord sequence

Em , Bm , Cmaj , Gmaj , Dmaj , Bm

it's really easy (the first part) as you can see, you're basically just creating minor and major two note chords , which is really easy because of the standard guitar tuning

If i were to tab it out, it's

E|--t12-------p7------t8----------p3--------t10---------p7-----
A|----------------------------------------------------------------------
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------
G|--t12-------p7------t9----------p4--------t11--------p7-------

t=which notes you have to tap (hit with your fingers)

p=which notes you need to pull off (ex. when you tap the 12 frets on E and G, you hold the 7th fret too and then release the 12th frets you were holding with your picking/fingering hand)

the other part looks hard but it isn't all that hard if you practice on it a lot , you have a video with good quality and you can see the frets and what the dude is doing ,therefore with a lot of hard work you could do that too
>>
>>1188522
also dont forget your reverb and delay pedals
>>
>>1169307
This is easy as fuck. He's got a loop pedal and a chorus pedal going too. But no you can't do it. You can once you practice, a lot.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.