[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think the combat system is a product of its time, or was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: earthbound.png (13 KB, 437x230) Image search: [Google]
earthbound.png
13 KB, 437x230
Do you think the combat system is a product of its time, or was it worse than its competition?
>>
It was just Dragon Quest with PSI instead of spells. And the added rolling HP mechanic which kinds of adds a sort of "tension" time limit to it, but still pretty much DQ. It's fine.
>>
>Attack
>Item
>Magic
>Run

That's literally every JRPG ever made. If you want good combat, you don't play JRPG's.
>>
>>3368161
Plenty of JRPG's have good combat. None of the good ones are related to final fantasy.
>>
>>3368161
>It's not a JRPG if it has an interactive combat system
Lol
>>
>>3368171
Name a few.
>>
>>3368247
Grandia, Paper Mario, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Parasite Eve.
Not that guy tho.
>>
It's just a streamlined version of traditional 80s CRPG combat and experience point/level up systems that Dragon Quest took from Ultima and Wizardry.
>>
>>3368153
It took from dragon quest, for me personally that great since I like DQ's simple combat.

The game really doesn't feel that dated to me honestly other then a few ugly speites but overall I think it holds up great. Earthbound is more of a "sum of its parts" deal, you can't really judge ot on gameplay alone. For some like me who look for more then gameplay its great, for those looking at it purely in gameplay perspective (it is a game after all) they probably wouldn't like it. Both views are understandable and fine.
>>
>>3368161
Never played a JRPG with combat worse than Fallout's.
>>
>>3368796
>he never played Torment
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.