[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ARCADES
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: PICT0167.jpg (115 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
PICT0167.jpg
115 KB, 800x600
IT'S SUNDAY, BABY.

Gonna go visit the closest arcade to me tonight. Gonna play some Police 911, Let's go island, alien vs. predator... And something else too. Mostly lightgun games. God I love them.

What about you, /vr/? Got any cool arcades nearby?
>>
File: vo_omg_cabinet.jpg (243 KB, 832x867) Image search: [Google]
vo_omg_cabinet.jpg
243 KB, 832x867
>>3367965
I wish I did. Just so I can see if they have pic related and see how many times I can one credit clear it in a row.
>>
>>3367965
The only surviving "arcades" around me are in the lobby of movie theaters and the one "bar-cade" downtown. The movie theater corner-cades only have new games from Raw Thrills--so hard pass. But both of the Cinemarks do have the newer Stern pinball tables (transformers and Family guy, I believe) that are decent.

The barcade has older games--Joust, MS. Pac-man cocktail, MK 4, Terminator 2 light gun and a mid 90s midway pinball table-- along with a MAME cabinet or two. Sadly, it's been infected with EDM kiddos sucking down expensive shots, sorting adderall and listening to the shittest music possible over the game audio. I haven't been in a year now--wonder if my Joust score still reigns.
>>
File: Crappy_Pic.jpg (157 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
Crappy_Pic.jpg
157 KB, 768x1024
>>3367965
I just got back from an arcade convention, California Extreme, and had a blast seeing and playing hundreds of games. Only decent arcade for the next year is an hour away though.
>>
Had one, but it's currently been in limbo for nearly two years. The long and short of it being that the owner had to endure a year of bureaucratic hell from the city council when he decided to relocate. Even then, they almost pulled a fast one by nearly approving the construction of a chain bowling alley/arcade right across the street.

Things seemed to have eased up now and the owners claims that the arcade will open soon, I just hope he didn't blow all the money from the renovation kickstarter prior to all this on permits.
>>
closest thing to an arcade near me is a pizza place with a few arcade games. they've got crazy taxi and jambo safari though so i'm not complaining.
>>
>>3369001
The last time Super Arcade was open, I was kinda pissed off that they dumped half of the cabinets for console stations. I know they're playing arcade games still, but holding a stick on my lap is uncomfortable, and you can't just join in like you can on head to head cabinet. The fact that they almost completely ignore genres other than fighting games is irritating, too.
>>
>>3369054

> I was kinda pissed off that they dumped half of the cabinets for console stations.

Same, even if the console setups was where most of their income came from. Coincidentally, their new location is where a cousin of mine ran a thrift store for about a year, it's spacious property, should be able to hold all the console stations without shafting the number of arcade cabinets, hopefully with some variety.
>>
>>3368975
How is California Extreme?

It's been on my "before I finish grad school and get married" bucketlist for a few years going since GiantBomb covered it back in 2008-ish. I live in Texas so it would be one hell of a trip, but not unmanageable if the digs are good. Is it close by to any other major CA cities/attractions?
>>
File: donkeyhotay.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
donkeyhotay.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
>>3369153
I had one of the best times in recent memory there. If you lived close by it I would say it's absolutely worth going, but I'm not so sure about Texas.

I guess it would depend on what kind of arcade games you're into. There was a very heavy showing of early-to-mid-80s arcade games as well as a variety of pinball, so if that is your scene, I'd say go for it. Tons of other games too, but it was by no means a complete collection. If you were just looking for fighters or STGs, you'd probably be disappointed. But if you are open to trying a wide variety of arcade titles on original hardware, you'll love it.

As for what else is in the area, there's a mid-tier theme park a few blocks away called Great America, and San Francisco is pretty close by.

I also managed my first arcade 1 CC there on a surprisingly fun but tame laserdisc game called Super Don Quixote, of which they had two cabinets in the Dragon's Lair-clone section.
>>
There are literally no arcades in my entire city and my city is the second biggest of my country. I think all the machines are either destroyed or collecting dust in some collectors basement.
>>
>>3369054
>The fact that they almost completely ignore genres other than fighting games is irritating, too.

WNF kept it alive, you are lucky to even have had fighting game cabs anywhere
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.