[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck would people protest against augmentation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 247
Thread images: 35
File: SarifIndustries.jpg (259 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
SarifIndustries.jpg
259 KB, 1920x1080
Why the fuck would people protest against augmentation?
>>
Ghost in the machine
>>
File: 1462159549744.jpg (30 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1462159549744.jpg
30 KB, 600x450
>>337813036

Because it is polarizing and not everyone cant receive augmentation.
Plus it is literally salvation through technology instead of through God which will be our destruction.
>>
I'm somewhat for and against it.

The Neuropozyne problem is kind of fucking huge.

On the other hand, hyper-prostheses and nano-blood treatments could save so many lives it's not even funny.

However, if too many lives are being saved, overpopulation will become a staggeringly bad problems, and if the number of those saved by augmentation goes up, so does the rate of Neuropozyne used by the population, which leads to all sorts of problems.

Of course, if Jensen's DNA fixing made everything okay for everyone everywhere that'd be great, but that's not going to happen.
>>
One body one soul etc.

Also, ever had a replacement body part, or knows someone who did? they need medication to prevent rejection by the host body which kills their immune system and increases the likelihood of getting sick.
>>
>>337813036
jobs would require people to use augmentations to maximize workforce, and of course some people aren't willing to deliberately chop off their limbs
>>
>>337813036
Human limbs can't be hacked
>>
File: 1428790440031.jpg (54 KB, 389x600) Image search: [Google]
1428790440031.jpg
54 KB, 389x600
>>337813036
SJW people getting mad on behalf of others who dont give a shit, really
>>
>>337813551
Wasnt there a sidequest that involves a chink stockbroker who got her job through sheer will and skill that is getting desperate in competing against her augmented colleagues? She asks you to steal insider info to get an edge over her competitors or you can do something that will encourage her to keep doing what she's been doing, since she got so far without augs.

Eventually in high stress, fast-paced jobs, you either get auged or go home.
>>
>>337813036

muh morals u cant play g-d nevermind the fact that we're playing g-d by telling you that you can't do what you're doing goy

>the world will be so much worse without retarded people, blind people, deaf people and people who suffer from incontinence
>>
I can't afford to have my hands cut off and replaced with super hands, but if I don't do it then I'll never succeed in life. Guess I'll just take out a loan to do so.

What do you mean that thousands of other people had the same idea so now I'm nothing special, thousands in debt and that I have to take an expensive drug or else my hands fall off?
>>
>>337813763
this

I felt the entire motive for the populace protesting was poorly explained for the player in DXHR
>>
>>337813036
Did you even play the game?
People protested because you were forced to take meds so your body would not reject the augs. The industry made millions while poor people suffered.
>>
>>337813036
Because it literally destroys any idea that the society in which we live is based upon merit and not money, how the fuck can you compete in boxing against a dude with a steel arm? How can you hope to beat a rich kid on a test when he can literally save the textbook to his brain?
>>
>>337813036
Same reason /v/ still exists. To protest.
>>
>>337813036
You got the obvious purists who dislike the idea.

Then you have average Joe's scared that people are walking around who can use their cyber arms to crush your skull using zero effort. Similar to the fear people get when they see people open carrying a firearm.

Finally you have the expensive drug treatment that is required to stop your body from rejecting the tech. Which is bad since all the local clinics will cut your arm off and slap an Aug on it as opposed to actually fixing your arm. Forcing you to buy this expensive drug.
>>
>>337813654
this
>>
people protest about who can use which bathrooms, of course they'd protest about people getting augmented
>>
There's no reason for people to be pissed about veterans/disabled people getting augs to help them back into normal life. But what about a soldier who gets augs to make him a superman in battle? Then the war ends and he goes home, but it's not like he can turn those augs off. So of he snaps that's a huge danger to everyone around him. Then you have transhumanists who willingly replace perfectly good limbs for augs for no reason, which would definitely be seen by many as strange or even immoral. There's some valid safety concerns, but it's always been about basic human nature.
>>
>>337813654
>your online limbs will never gain brozuf

why live?
>>
>>337813036
IT GOES AGAINST OUR HOLY LORDS DESIGN YOU BLASPHEMOUS SPAWN

Also Big Corp making a literal botnet from us
>>
>>337814634
Well the soldier could have replaceable hands. Weapons limbs and than the civilian use limbs. Didn't Raiden have something like this in Metal Gear.
>>
luddites angry about the future leaving then behind
>>
>>337814073
this pretty much
>>
I can't stop reading these posts in the voice of the radio talk show guy. Its annoying.
>>
Religious fags afraid of the future, as fucking usual.

>Hurr Durr Muh Soul

Shit doesn't exist, idiots.
>>
>>337813492
You'd think the body would eventually replace all the cells in a new kidney and your body would then accept it.
>>
>>337813763

Nope
She was protesting that with sheer will and skill she simply wasn't going to compete against rivals who have CASIE mods that make them super charismatic.
So she got upgraded but owed the Triad money, effectively becoming a slave, so she wants you to set her free.
You go visit her to get a payment off her to give to the Triad leader (Tong?)
>>
>>337814634
>but it's not like he can turn those augs off
the gov can just shut them off/replace them/have it be a military 4 life decision to get augs
>>
>>337815025
Thx boss
>>
>>337814634
Augs are like weapons: government issued, government property. You leave the force, you leave the augs behind and get retrofitted with a normal prosthetic.
>>
>>337815025
Nigger having to pay a fuckload of dosh to be able to live is bullshit
>>
File: For Use In Advanced Shitposting.jpg (165 KB, 1303x1306) Image search: [Google]
For Use In Advanced Shitposting.jpg
165 KB, 1303x1306
>>337814073
should've got a scholarship and studied something useful fag
>>
>>337813375
>overpopulation
This meme again.
>>
>>337815145
>having to pay
then dont get them poorfag. there's money hidden in virtually every nook and cranny in the world. don't let jensen take it all. sneak some vents.
>>
>>337813654
>not having your limbs set to autistic mode
>>
>>337815183
I like the total lack of citations here.
>>
>>337815183
blyat
>>
>>337815025
WE JUST HAVENT WEIGHED IT YET YOU HEATHEN.
>>
>>337815134
Adam is a private contractor and he's got all the fancy battle augs. Not to mention all the bosses in the game have ridiculous augs as well. It's not just military who has access to those things, Jensen never served in the military and SWAT probably wouldn't pay for that.
>>
>>337815349
>can't compete with robocop?
>just steal
Epic
>>
>>337815183
>hello yes i have no basic understanding of macroeconomics i also suck a million dicks for bus fare then go walking instead
>>
>>337815242
How?
More people living longer would throw off the balance.
Especially if it went widespread in Chink countries.
>>
>>337813036
because you have to take an overpriced drug sold by the jew ?
>>
Becuase muh religion and muh morals
>>
>>337813492
>they need medication to prevent rejection by the host body

That won't be a problem in a few years.

We're creating "ghost organs" that are 100% accepted by the body.

look it up.
>>
>>337815527
>interpreting graphs is hard
Your field can be done by a robot
>>
>>337815780
Games lore dosen't have them, so we can assume that in Deus Ex it's not gonna happen, unless you include Jensen's magic blood or whatever the fuck that was about, but even the the general populace don't know about it
>>
>"Russian"

RUSSIAN WHAT
>>
>>337815719
dont forget muh millions in poverty and debt paying for a drug that keeps your limbs from falling off
>>
>>337815494
>steal
it's not stealing. jensen has found plenty of money in public areas where no one reacts to him taking loose credits left under a box.
>>
>>337815629
I don't think China is the worlds population problem when looking at how little they care for human life there. The issue is the 1st world countries (read Europe) supporting 3rd world immigrants in their own countries. It is more likely the immigrants have more children than average natives living there.
>>
>>337816006
>can't compete with robocop?
>just be rather rude to somebody who left their stuff under a box who doesn't really want anytrouble i mean come on i just dropped my fiver under a box man
Epic.
>>
>>337815489
Well Adam got his fancy augs because he's the security director of THE manufacturer of augs and Sarif needs him to do the dirty work and get revenge on whoever attacked them. Hell, he wouldn't even get the augs if Sarif wasn't attacked. When he's retired, he'd probably have to return the augs or replace them with civilian versions. Sarif and INterpol, or whoever employs him now wouldnt want a heavily armed mower of men to be walking amongst the populace.

Same thing with other private contractors, I think. You get battle-grade augs when you sign up, you return them when you leave?

If anything, it's the criminals who will have access to all these crazy shit. Triads can have access to battle and crazy hacking augs because they stole them from the Chinese or made their own.
>>
>>337815903
What's up with that image?
The truth is relevant with where it's written?
>>
>>337815629
Balance of what? Humans can't fuck themselves into distinction. If population growth is a problem, there will be mechanism to keep it in check. That's how evolution works.
>>
>>337816187
Fine. Leave the money for some other schmuck to take. I'm sure the dude who left his credits in a garbage can or a wastebasket is coming back for them.
>>
>>337815968
Won't Jensen's super special snowflake blood or immune system that doesnt suppress the metals in augs actually be dangerous? He can accumulate those metals, get adverse effects of metal poisoning and his immune system wont do shit about it.

Neuropozyne's just a glorified immunosuppresant isn't it?
>>
>>337813036
Why do people protest against GMOs even though they've been eating genetically modified food for thousands of years and the largest studies in history have proven that GMOs are completely safe? Why do people distrust controlled and peer reviewed medical research but are A-OK with drinking some random shit mixed by snake oil sellers? Because people are fucking retarded and love their naturalistic fallacy. Add the muh God argument and it's really not that hard to understand.
>>
File: 1460076082707.jpg (87 KB, 953x960) Image search: [Google]
1460076082707.jpg
87 KB, 953x960
>>337815903
>there is a precisely 0 (zero) percent chance of everyone taking higher-paying degrees
>that's if we assume they even CAN take those higher degrees
>this is due to different conditions in upbringing, education, influence from friends, etc.
>with this, inevitably some will be worse off than others, keyword inevitably
>they get by now, just with older shit and lower quality of life
>enter cybernetics
>there is now an objective fucking difference between two people who are the exact same besides one has cybernetics & the other doesn't
>an employer would be fucking retarded to take a non-aug over an aug, same wages yet higher objective productivity
>all non-augs get put out of jobs within a year, tops, or go into the loan/expensive drug cycle, and that's if they don't turn into fucking criminals or worse, terrorists
so now you have roughly a third of the population that want to burn down your residence and put your head on a pike. Pop quiz, hotshot, what the fuck do you do?
>hurr mass genocide the poor people
nice, now even some augs might turn to them, making the problem worse, you fucking idiot, and that's IF you're an autocrat, god help you if you share power with other people
>>
>>337816568
Surely there's some sort of blood filtration aug tucked away in there

>>337816613
i'm not anti-gmo, but I would be wary of any research with corporate backing.

theres independent research that says the same though, but still.
>>
>>337816613
Selective breeding =! genetic modification. You let nature do the work but encourage the direction it's taking in the former while in the latter you insert genes from a different species and hope it doesnt produce any unforeseen effects.

You can trigger nut allergies from GM soys now, you know?
>>
>>337816330
Isn't current world constantly in this loop? Wars, the viruses etc.
>>
>getting old
>see fancy new eye augs
>get them
>walk around town
>get clubbed over the back of the head by a crackaddict
>tears out augs
>pawns them
>>
Christfags probably
>>
>>337816530
Exactly.
>>
How much longer must I wait to leave this prison of the flesh?

I want my augs now dammit!
>>
>>337816648
>getting the bad ending
In [Video Games], I'll just get the good ending.

All I'll have to do is win some arguments, complete the game non-lethally, and 100% everything.

There. No uprising of the masses, everyone gets augs with 0 drawbacks, no one needs drugs, if anyone doesn't want/can't get augs they'll be swept aside like them milk man.
>>
File: 1459719186478.jpg (129 KB, 551x720) Image search: [Google]
1459719186478.jpg
129 KB, 551x720
>>337817356
Please kill yourself.
>>
File: Skeleton Finds Freedom.webm (742 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Skeleton Finds Freedom.webm
742 KB, 480x360
>>337817252
But anon. It's not your decision. What if the real you says no?
>>
>>337813139
Great movie
>>
>>337815145
hey guess what that's real life
>>
>>337817432
>this mad
Circumventing dire social issues with video game logic is fair game.
>>
>>337817002
Modern medicine has effectively brought that to an end. Previously when you have an outbreak, the human population gets cut down but now if you catch the plague, just head to your local ER and get a round of antibiotics and you'll be fine. Even wars weren't that effective in reducing population. There's usually a boom in births after each war, especially in the victorious party as war restrictions are lifted and spoils are brought in. Ancient Chinese history is 70% constant warfare and they have 1 billion people.
>>
>>337813139
Samefagging.

>you will never have your babysitter tease you by almost showing her tits to you and your friend
>>
>>337817474
DELETE THIS
>>
>>337813654
>not knowing the brain is a bioelectrical system of switches
Really?
>>
>>337817474
What the fuck?
>>
>>337817596
It's kinda funny that the plague is still actually a thing.

It's just not really a thing because we bathe now.
>>
>>337817596
Yes but Ebola did a good job last year, and if I'm not mistaken ISIS is doing quite well.
>>
>>337817596
>70% constant warfare
28% dominated by foreigners, 2% modern day china?
>>
>>337813375
>if too many lives are being saved, overpopulation

kek. overpopulation is only a problem because western society (especially europe) are massive cucks who want to save every poor nigger baby, because muh feelings and muh social rules.
only people with a decent income would be able to get life prolonging augmentation anyway. which would be great because those are exactly the type of people who don't get children. that way they can work harder and longer and will be less of a geriatric burden.
>>
>>337817802
>because we bathe now
Cleanliness in general and anti-biotics
>>
>>337817845
>IS
>doing anything right

All they've done is push people towards Europe, where they breed like rats.
>>
File: 1462876376164.png (168 KB, 283x376) Image search: [Google]
1462876376164.png
168 KB, 283x376
I'm still scared shitless by the fact that your body will no longer be your own. And if for some reason the corporation behind the augs will not have malicious intents (that's just impossible, but let's assume), they could be hacked by someone else.

I'm scared more only of brain augs or transplanting consciousness into artificial brain. You could be literally made to think something you didn't intend to, and you will not know it.
>>
>>337813036

Only the rich would get the cool augs. The rest of you neets would have the shitty chinese augs (if you could even afford them) and would be the slaves of the new cyborg master race
>>
>>337817856
5% fucked up by Britain and getting high on opium, 20% fucked up by Maoist push for industrialization, 5% modern China.
>>
File: 1462724451637.jpg (40 KB, 320x239) Image search: [Google]
1462724451637.jpg
40 KB, 320x239
>>337813036
You fucking freaks
>>
File: JC Denton in the flesh.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
JC Denton in the flesh.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>337813036
>>
>>337818231
>Time to invest into EMP technology

When enough people get augs some well placed EMP generators would do a really good mop up job on augs.
>>
>>337813036
>>337813036

Theological opression.

That's why. Or and discrimination.

Imagine how fucking buttmad it'd make racists

>Fucking honkies and their white privilege
>Now they can jump, run and swim faster then us too!

>Fucking niggers and their niggotry
>They can think faster, run faster & fight better then us now too.

etc, etc, etc.
>>
>>337817845
>ISIS is doing quite well.

no, all they have done is scare billions of sandniggers away from their homes in the middle east. and with the help of social media they all realized they could use this situation to storm europe to get dat welfare and free housing.
>>
First, you had those religionfags with "MUH SOUL" and their usual religious and moral arguments thrown around.

Then you had the people looking at it from a job perspective. With all the shit that augmentations could do, it meant that non-augmented people would have to compete with augmented people who just flat out had a significant advantage over them.

Then you had people who were concerned about their safety around these people. It's like standing around a person with a weapon, only their weapon is their whole arm that could tear through you like wet tissue paper. There was that one cop that Jensen ran into early in the game where it was outright stated that they were scared shitless on what a kid with augments can do if he actually did attack them.

Then you had the neuropozyne deal, expensive as fuck drug just to make sure you don't die from having those augs. Not only do you have to spend money for the fucking augments, you need to sink a shitload of money into the drug too.

Then you have concerns over augs being used by corporations and organizations to spy or even hack your augments. Especially since the Illuminati is a legitimate thing in Deus Ex. This shit also plays into the safety concern, what if some random asshole just went nuts all of the sudden because some other asshole hacked his augs?

I still sided the fuck with Sarif though.
>>
>>337813654
They actually can.
>>
>>337818359
Thanks for reminding me that Chowder/Flapjack were axed in favor of Adventure Meme
>>
File: Nervous.jpg (59 KB, 500x493) Image search: [Google]
Nervous.jpg
59 KB, 500x493
>>337818184
>your augs are made by a christian company
>your augmented hands and penis can only make contact for a few seconds before being repelled from each other
>your penis shuts down if it detects friction, but doesn't detect a vagina
>>
>>337818453
it's really easy to shield electronics from EMP though...
>>
Religious people against modifying the body god gave us and poor people who can't afford it.

Honestly Human Revolution does a poor job of providing reasons why someone with the means to wouldn't become augmented aside from the reasons above.

Like Jensen isn't either of those things, but his whole "thing" is that he has the augments without wanting them. Why? What possible downside is there to being superhuman?
>>
>>337818184
This, this is the major concern in getting a augmentation. A corp. is definitely going to have some backdoor code that'll give them complete control of a person.
>>
>>337814897
>>337814897

Raiden had a civilian Issue body, and one that was only intended for his job exclusively.

The demands and maintenance costs were prohibitive for someone to operate a Milspec chassis in a civilian environment and setting

>Have body that can crush bone, bend steel
>Jump 30ft
>Use it to do laundry
>Help children with arts & crafts
>>
>>337813036

same reason people protest most things

theyre poor and butthurt about it
>>
>>337813036
It's highly disruptive to the job market, normal human beings will never be able to compete with augmented superhumans, likewise, normal humans will never be able to afford augmentation or the anti-rejection drugs, it's a slow, agonising death sentence for anyone living below a high given income bracket.

Also, when you have this level of technology it would be trivial to make robots for unskilled and low skilled work too, so even those who do get augmented could soon find themselves starving and dying of rejection syndrome.
>>
>>337818663
like the thread has said, being a stupid poorfuck who buys augs he can't afford
>>
>>337818623
Nano implants too? And wouldn't most of the EMP shielding be dead weight on the augs. I don't know myself. Educate me please I'm not very smart.
>>
>>337818663

You arent human any longer.
>>
>>337818901
So, SOMA holidays and basic income then?
>>
File: Bomber Harris.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Bomber Harris.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>337819006
what is being human
>>
>>337813036
Because "muh ethics". Same reason why it's still a problem to create (genetically engineered) human embryos and use them for scientific research.
>>
>>337813346
>God
Go away retard
>>
File: Dracula2_small.jpg (328 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Dracula2_small.jpg
328 KB, 600x800
>>337819006
What defines you being a human or not? In other words what is a man?
>>
>>337818943
I never studied physics that much, but I'd think nano implants would especially be safe to the effects of electromagnetic waves because your skin, muscle and blood shields them.
>>
File: Arm.jpg (710 KB, 4665x3110) Image search: [Google]
Arm.jpg
710 KB, 4665x3110
>Hello Johnson, glad you're here
>We're going to have to let you go
>There's a newer, better form of your arm augments that we gave you
>And we're hiring a new crop of chumps to get themselves upgraded "on us"
>Why don't we just upgrade your shitty old arms?
>Technical problems. We'd have to pay to have the whole socket replaced and that's just too much time/effort/money
>Please detach your arms and pick up your complimentary CivviePro package at the front desk
>they'll work just as well as your old human arms did
>except, you know, you'll keep needing to pay for anti rejection drugs
>>
File: nrn0501_315a_f4.gif (72 KB, 600x572) Image search: [Google]
nrn0501_315a_f4.gif
72 KB, 600x572
>>337819006
I could easily call every human a bio-robot. Even your consciousness is nothing more than a shitload of tightly regulated chemical reactions and interactions.
>>
>>337819006

That's an incredibly flimsy argument.

Are you no longer human if you have a metal hip? A plate in your skull? A pacemaker? Those are all nowhere near on the level of the augmentations that Adam recieved, but they are for all intents and purposes the same thing.
>>
>>337817845
>Ebola

ebola was one of the biggest fake scares ever, even at the end the death toll was 10k, people were acting like there were millions of infected.

swear to god this internet/mass media shit is blowing a lot of things up more than it is.
>>
>>337821002
If people are worried about X then they'll keep going to whatever place they got the news about X from. Therefore it's in that place's interest to keep talking about X and make it seem big.
>>
>>337821002
The only way you get ebola is if you literally eat feces from another ebola patient. So it's mostly subhumans who can't into basic hygiene who get it. (nobody cares about those people)
>>
>>337813139
Human Revolution was one giant analogy for the politics around firearms IRL
>>
>>337813036
The Deus Ex series is actually a pro Illuminati/Freemason game that promotes transhumanism.
>>
>>337817356
>solving social problems with genocide
You would've loved earl 20th century Soviet Union.
Shame that no one really shares your views anymore.
>>
Same people who get buttblasted by trans
>>
>>337821002
It's also remarkably inefficient as far as viruses go. It's too small to have any real mutation potential and kills its host too fast to spread well.

>>337821418
You can also get it by direct contact with infected blood and other bodily fluids.
>>
>>337821418
What.
>>
>>337817596
Antibiotics start to lose effect.
>>
Did they just make the shit about requiring Neuropozyne up for the purposes of giving the humanists a counter-argument?
>>
>>337821983
>>337821920
>>337821418
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euXQbZDwV0w
>>
>>337820937
according to rastafarians yes you arent

but its a shitty excuse not to
>>
>>337822161
Considering half of Jensen's backstory is about how he's a genetic prodigy who can make it so nobody needs it, probably not.
>>
File: 1459913233768.png (11 KB, 200x163) Image search: [Google]
1459913233768.png
11 KB, 200x163
>>337822161
>>
File: 20160401193626.png (425 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
20160401193626.png
425 KB, 640x640
As long as my brain can feel everything, im probably going to augment my penis first.

Nothing to fancy, probably 9 inches with vibrating features.

What are you fags going to first augment when the technology comes?
>>
>>337822363
Legs
>>
>Yfw we're practically there already
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSuzMxQDmzg
>>
Fuck off with your shitty meme game
>>
>>337816763
All the natural and faith healers are there for the money too, except they have no oversight or responsibility for what they peddle. One of the reasons why new drugs are getting so insanely expensive is the sheer amount of testing they need to go through. On average, developing a new complex drug now costs about a billion dollars because it takes many years to actually put it on the market. Not trusting big corps is understandable, but they're much better watched than any "natural" alternative.
>>
>>337822363
I'll augment away my whiskey dick
>>
Why does /v/ protest DRM?
>>
File: index.jpg (8 KB, 211x239) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
8 KB, 211x239
>>337822474
mah nigger
>>
File: 1455284113817.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1455284113817.webm
3 MB, 640x480
Electronic Old Men
>>
>>337813036
Did you not play the games? Some people can't get augments and many cant afford them. This created a massive problem with people who could buy or were willing to steal augments having a distinct advantage over normal people.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhNI1IUKghU
>>
>>337813036
Three reasons. Two valid, the other not.

1. The naturalistic fallacy. Muh nature. Muh god.

2. We might fuck it up and cripple ourselves as a species.

3. Income disparity means only the rich get augments.
>>
File: 4142126786321673.jpg (30 KB, 329x329) Image search: [Google]
4142126786321673.jpg
30 KB, 329x329
I'm against it because only hipsters and posh cunts will do this.
I can understand if you got yourself a prostetic leg/arm because you've lost your real one, but doing this willingly simply because you have a shitton of money?
What kind of freak are you?
>>
>>337813036

You know that it's a big ethical issue, right? What makes you think that augs would be so good for YOU?

First of all, imagine if human augmentation was legal and unregulated, and willing doctors did it freely with no inhibition (an extremely unlikely scenario, save for in some borderline anarchic shithole.) In all likelihood, even minor augments would probably be prohibitively expensive, so YOU won't be getting anything for a long ass time. Insurance barely covers basic procedures now for a lot of people, if at all. Imagine how expensive getting entire body parts cybernetically replaced would be out of pocket. The only people with super muscles and foot-long cyber dicks will be rich Chads and trust-fund babies for a long time. Those people will have a big leg up on you in life, especially if brain augments are legal. Who would hire a dumbass like you when they can hire a sentient supercomputer?

Second of all, doctors are bound to codes of ethics, not to mention laws. To be augmented, a doctor has to mutilate you first, removing the healthy parts of your body to replace them with artificial parts. Assisted suicide is frowned upon to say the least, so it's hard to imagine how assisted mutilation and amputation of healthy limbs could be approved of. Doctors realize that they're not in a place to answer philosophical questions that arise from butchering a healthy body just because the patient wants it--their attitude is, if it ain't broke, don't fucking excise it. You need to understand that there are powerful social forces that would keep augmentation illegal.

tl;dr you're dumb
>>
>>337823794
Pretty much. Unless it gets REALLY REALLY advanced. Like fall from a building and land on your feet like nothing happened.
Otherwise I might just get an augmented heart (if there are now downsides). Because suddenly dying because your heart stops working is really lame.
>>
File: Nananana Inspector Gadget.jpg (360 KB, 889x907) Image search: [Google]
Nananana Inspector Gadget.jpg
360 KB, 889x907
So when you break one of your augments, who do you have to go to to get it fixed? Is it the people who gave it to you? How many of those clinics exist and how far will you have to travel to find one? Presumably you'll have to pay if you're not a veteran or amputee with the most basic replacement limbs, since if you chose to get augmented you can afford to pay for your fix up. If so, how much is that going to set you back?

What if you had an uncommon augment or one that's no longer in manufacture and they don't have the parts? Do they give you a free shit tier no-frills replacement or will they charge you to side-grade into something else?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (666 KB, 749x1200) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
666 KB, 749x1200
ONE WITH THE OMNISSIAH
>>
File: 1453218851153.jpg (176 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
1453218851153.jpg
176 KB, 472x472
>>337822587
That was a good thread
>>
File: 1314145937611.jpg (578 KB, 1280x1700) Image search: [Google]
1314145937611.jpg
578 KB, 1280x1700
Im pretty much 100% pro augmentation. I think its going to save the human race, its us taking control of evolution. Bettering ourselves through our own will. It fits in nicely with my belief system and it makes mankind better.

Everytime I see something like >>337823339
I get the warm and fuzzies. We're making people better through our own inventions, our own works. I acknowledge and accept there will be problems, and there will be those who try to take advantage. But thats literally every single technology ever made.

Aside from mechanical augmentation im also all about genetic augmentation. We can cure genetic disorders, ensure the health of unborn babies by in womb genetic manipulation. We can give soldiers 20/20 vision, better even. Give them faster reaction times, blood that clots faster, bones that take more to break. Genemods, mechaugs. Both are brilliant.

The future is bright, at least I think so.
>>
>>337825459
>The future is bright, at least I think so.
For those with money yes. For the rest? No chance.
>>
>>337813036
Some people want to achieve perfection by being people. They don't get it, though.
>>
>>337824492
>dying because your heart stops working is really lame
I hate when this happens
>>
>>337821440
No, it wasn't because guns don't make you reliant on a drug controlled by a monopoly.
>>
>>337813036
>Why the fuck would people protest against augmentation?
Did you miss the entire thing where getting augs makes you reliant on a miracle drug controlled by Sarif?
They're not as innocent as they might seem.
>>
>>337815183
>i'm so intelligent and scientific that I post no sources :^)
>>
>>337826394
>controlled by Sarif
VersaLife

You remember them from Deus Ex, don't you? Bob Page's personal company? Part of the Illuminati/Majestic 12 conspiracy to rule the world?
>>
>>337826394
>Controlled by Sarif
Except it's not. It's controlled by Versalife, who is being controlled by the Illuminati.
>>
>>337813036
Maybe because it gave people physical power over other people for instance giving them the ability to turn augmented people into literal zombies which is exactly what ends up happening.

The conspiracy theorists were right.
>>
>>337826394
Not to mention that part where everyone with augs lost control of themselves and started murdering each other.
>>
>>337825754
In the begining sure, but the way the capitalist system works is that augs would be released in the widest market possible to get the most return.

Sure, if they were out right now and I got an augmented arm. It wouldnt be the absolute top of the line. I wouldn't expect me, making 45k a year to be getting an arm that someone making 125k a year would get.

But thats everything. I mean I understand what you're saying. But its literally how it already works. The rich buy the best because they have the most money. If you think people of lesser economic backgrounds will not have augs you don't understand how much corporations love money.

Everyone gets pandered to in the capitalist economic system. Because you make the most money that way. Its just not economically viable to exclude such a larger percent of the population.
>>
transhumanists are scum
>>
>>337826394

Sarif, through Megan's work on Adam's DNA, was going to make augs that did not require Neuropozine that Bob Page was manufacturing at VersaLife.

>>337826710

Thanks to Darrow and that crazy chink bitch Zhou.
>>
File: skub.png (22 KB, 147x125) Image search: [Google]
skub.png
22 KB, 147x125
>>
if i get typhoon explosive system they can even augment my asshole for all i care
>>
>>337827189
What if the typhoon system is IN your asshole?
>>
>>337827189
What use will you ever have in reality for a Typhoon system?
>>
>>337827383
if you're getting mugged.
>>
File: 1391645809172.jpg (198 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
1391645809172.jpg
198 KB, 640x1136
>>337827338
>>
Daily reminder that Sarif Industries is saving lives and keeping families closer together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdERgfgB9Yc
>>
>>337827443
>mugger comes up to you armed for bear because every faggot is augmented these days
>"Wait right there whilst I do my little spin flip to ensure maximum detonation potential, my good sir"
>he guns you down without a second thought
>>
>>337822363
Eyes so I can shoot guns better and get away from rx lense bullshit.
>>
>>337825754
We're doing better than ever, actually. All of us. There are some serious issues (environmental destruction, economic inequality), but the world as a whole has never been so well fed, safe, or had so little poverty as we do now.
>>
>>337827650
Joke's on you fag, Typhoon has I-Frames during the activation.

Also
>Get mugged
>Better blow up the entire fucking alley instead of just pressing Q and knocking them the fuck out
>>
>>337827915
I-Frame augment is government restricted
>>
>>337827504
They were. Sarif's goal was to free people from neuropozine dependency, therefore eliminating the biggest economic problem with augs.
>>
File: richest1[1].png (477 KB, 2753x1538) Image search: [Google]
richest1[1].png
477 KB, 2753x1538
>>337826898
You do realize that several billion people live with just a dollar or two a day? Pic related is % of people living under 1,25$ a day. Sure augs might become affordable in the more affluent societies, but the vast majority of the world population could only dream of them.
>>
People will always split in half and argue with eachother with everything solely out of spite.
It's been that way since ancient times.
>>
>>337828225
Well, I don't really care about them. I live in a first world country.
>>
File: cyborgs.jpg (179 KB, 500x3899) Image search: [Google]
cyborgs.jpg
179 KB, 500x3899
>>337817606
>>
>>337828225
Richer people having augs doesn't equate non-augmented people's lives being more diffucult.
Africans will still withold the proud tradition of being nomads and neolithics whether or not some rich guy on the other side of the world has sick prosthetics.
>>
>>337828225
Not him, but it used to be much worse. And we already have plenty of inequality anyway. Everything starting from education to medicine depends on how much money you have.
>>
>>337828564
did the major even have a banginger
>>
>>337828812
According to several illustrated sources, she did
>>
>>337828225
If all the rich people have artificial bodies that get no diseases, the current and future doctors would likely move to lower-class areas to use their trade, spreading medicinal knowledge to the poor.
>>
I remember reading an article a few years back about a guy, I think in France, that was given a bionic eye. At the time his eye basically looked like a Google glass that was installed onto his head. The article was about a time when he was out in public in a fast food restaurant and a couple of people just couldn't understand what it was on his face and reacted violently from the confusion. One guy tried to yank the device off of his face even though the other guy tried to explain that it was attached to his skull.

This guy wasn't getting any kind of abilities outside of normal vision but people were still afraid of it because it was different. It's obviously not very common but it's not a question of WOULD people protest because it's already happening.
>>
People hate what's different than them.
Witch doctors make a comfortable living off of the local hatred of albinos.
>>
>>337828993
That's what usually happens with any new tech/products. At first only the richest can afford them, but as the knowhow spreads, prices fall and they become more and more affordable.
>>
>>337829405
Which would move the doctors further and further down until the trade bottlenecks and becomes what blacksmiths and chimney sweeps are today.
>>
>>337828926
s-source
>>
>>337828568
Maybe not more difficult, but certainly more hopeless. Another tier of affluence they are unlikely ever to achieve? And an almost essential one this time, not some "gilded swimming pools" type of shit that no one actually needs.

More importantly, though, the already huge headstart western nations have over the rest of the world would become even greater. We'd effectively create a new class of superhuman elite. I'm just worried that people will become more greedy than they are these days. The really, really poor people are already treated like animals by people with similar physical capabilities. Imagine what would happen if you were on a completely different level? It's easy to think of someone "normal" as a mere cockroach if you could do anything they could do faster, better and without breaking a sweat. I'm pretty tired so I'm not able to formulate my thoughts well, but maybe you get the idea.
>>
>>337829682
At the end of the day, they have a largely untouched source material needed to create the technology, so they could easily barter with rich nations for something of equal worth to the raw material.
>>
>>337816286
Just the fact that pretty much everything in the first quadrant is bullshit and should go back to 2nd quadrant where it belongs.
>>
>>337813036

Because those whose genes are sure to die out, but they want to bring everyone down with them, don't like the idea of "playing god."

Same with biological pseudo-immortality through nanotechnology.
>>
>>337813036
It's unnatural.
>>
The rich get richer that's why. You need money to keep your augs in check. Shit aint for free.
>>
>>337829405
That's kinda the point of Sarif's plan in DX:HR and why he got fucked by the Illuminati.

>Aug tech exists
>Sarif wants to make it available to everyone for cheap without the need for anti-rejection injections
>Illuminati wants to use augs as a way to control people

The whole "anti aug" movement is almost completely made up by Illuminati media (or at the very least they fanned the fires of it) as a way for them to push legislation through that would give them 100% control of all Aug research and development since at the time ingame they still didn't have a strong enough grip on the industry to control it completely.

And it's really a pretty foolproof plan.
>Aug legislation comes out
>All Augs are made by, sold by, and approved by them
>Anyone else tries to make augs and they tie them up in red tape until the company goes under or they buy them out
>Continue selling Augs at an even higher rate than the time ingame, use the media to suppress the anti-aug sentiments under the guise of "well it's regulated now so it's safe/fine/whatever"
>Eventually replace the majority of the skilled workforce with Augmented people who are completely dependent on medication you have a monopoly on to live and parts you make to work
>This gives citizens the choice of work for them and be straddled with injections for life or don't work for them and get paid nearly nothing (And eventually unskilled labor would be 100% replaceable with humaniod robots)
>Any attempts from non-augmented people to overthrow them would be met with squads of soldiers able to casually throw cars around and take several magazines of automatic fire to kill, assuming you sent a full squad on par with the one that attacked Sarif
>Augmented people who try to leave simply get their injections cut off and die, or simply get killed via remote killswitch built into augs
>>
>>337830368
How, when we already own most of what they produce?
>>
>>337831793
Maybe they should stop being such bitches and put their heads together. If the slavs managed to catch up on western world in living standards, why can't the dedicated shit countries do it too?
>>
>>337815183
>Creative Wriging
>>
>>337832051
Because slavs were sat right on the doorsteps of the most developed countries in the world, have a compatible culture, and actually have the ability to be just as capable as them when properly educated. IIRC the Soviet space program produced rocket engines with thrust/weight ratios that NASA scientists thought impossible until they got their hands on some at the end of the Cold War on top of beating the USA at every step of the 'Space Race' apart from landing on the moon. A highly educated, properly cultured slav is a force to be reckoned with - but they're just so goddamn rare.
>>
>>337832051
>If the slavs managed to catch up on western world in living standards
They didn't. I can tell from first hand experience.
And the slavic nation still were considerably more privileged than the shitholes where we produce our shit these days. They are now essentially in a situation in which they do the homework for a bully in exchange of only getting most of their lunch money taken away. And if they stop doing the homework and try to keep all of their lunch money, the bullys gang will beat them to such a state that they won't even be attending school for a while.
>>
>>337813036
>you will never have a super mechanical grip on your dick whilst jerking off

why live?
>>
>>337813036
I'd prefer the enhancement of my current organic body, rather than replacing parts of it altogether.
>>
>>337829057
>people were still afraid of it because it was different
Exactly.

People are utterly braindead fucking retarded, we hate each other purely based on each others skin colour for crying out loud. So there's no point in holding back developing cybernetic prosthesis, people won't accept it anyway until it becomes common.

Should we have rejected spectacles to augment human vision?
Should we have rejected firearms to kill each other more efficiently?
Should we have rejected clothing to protect us from the elements?
Should we have rejected fire to keep us warm in the dark?

We aren't running around naked, it's in our fucking nature to augment ourselves.
>>
>>337817651
No! You dirty skeleton!people need to know the truth!
>>
>>337834846
None of those things are augments though. They are tools completely separate from the human body.
>>
>>337818505
>It's like standing around a person with a weapon
So not a problem at all unless you project your aggressiveness and irresponsibility onto them?
>>
>>337834846
>people won't accept it anyway until it becomes common
How can it become common if people refuse to accept it?
>>
File: implants.jpg (2 MB, 3456x2592) Image search: [Google]
implants.jpg
2 MB, 3456x2592
Would you actually go and have parts of your body chopped off to be replaced with a mechanical part?
I mean, someone will have to literally cut your flesh, saw the bones, and then somehow attach this shit to the remainder of the body. Assuming we will have tech that allows for proper, solid attachment, as well as seamless connection to the nerves, and it all somehow stays powered.

If it's anything like current tech, you'd have to replace this shit every few years, as well as spend money on maintenance. Then there is the danger of unwanted access of third-parties to sensitive info.
And probably the main point that I think about, is the fact that we don't know enough about our body, especially brain. What if destruction of a part of the brain can bring consequences we are not even aware about?
>>
>>337813492
But that's the person's choice to accept that risk, not society's. That's the same non-argument they use for drug prohibition. "It could be bad for you so nobody should be allowed to do it". The anti-transhumanism movement depicted in DE games is practically bound to happen IRL (given humanity won't obliterate itself before augmentations happen). Even today there's tons of people demonizing GMO, vaccines or even blood transplants (Jehova's witnesses) for emotional "reasons".
>>
>>337835892
What the fuck am I looking at here? Where are all his teeth?
>>
>>337821814
>Freemason isn't similar to illuminati
>>
The industrial revolution was already a mistake. Augmentation will only make things worse ten fold. The future is bleak.
>>
>>337824513
I would pay to hear him sing/hum the inspector gadget theme in-game at random intervals
>>
>>337813036
>wanting to be obsolete within 3 months against millions of years of evolution

Enjoy your I-arm senpai
>>
>>337835892
>replacing your teeth with 6 piece of metal
at least make all of them
>>
>>337834846
>hating other skin colours
>retarded
>>
>>337835537
>So not a problem at all unless you project your aggressiveness and irresponsibility onto them?
For the most part, yeah. But a lot of people assume the worst when it comes to these things and let their fear take over, especially if there have been incidents surrounding them. Hell, from what I've seen, Mankind Divided is using this as part of their story.
>>
>>337815183
>x and y axis not labeled correctly

haha get this shit out of here
>>
>>337836367
Computers were a bigger mistake.

>"oh boy, this machine lets me do ALL of the day's work in a couple of hours!
>the future's gonna be great, 14-hour work weeks for everyone!"
>everyone's workload increases by 300% instead because of money and now everyone is stressed as fuck
>>
>>337836693
Ah, sorry. I incorrectly assumed you believed that the fear was rational.
>>
>>337836367
>>337836724
Are we going to make another mistake before we get augs?
>>
File: 1456053189509.jpg (18 KB, 408x408) Image search: [Google]
1456053189509.jpg
18 KB, 408x408
>>337815145
>having to pay a fuckload of dosh to be able to live is bullshit

You're literally saying that it's bullshit that you can make someone that would otherwise die be given the choice to live by paying money.
>>
File: 1458343355643.gif (291 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458343355643.gif
291 KB, 500x500
>>337813036
Here's my silly human list, some points have more merit than others, but they are all reasons people would come up with if augs started becoming widespread
>Religion
>Why would you NEED enhancements? Are you a criminal?
>Think of the children
>All it takes is one hacker to break your shit down
>Only rich people will be able to afford it, therefore nobody should have it
>I don't want tracking devices in my body
>I'm afraid of complications
>Too expensive
>Not enough regulation
I'm sure I'll think of more
>>
I wouldn't want one while I am still in my prime, exactly why I wouldn't use steroids.

Talk to me in 30 years when I start slowing down.
>>
>>337837172
>I don't want tracking devices in my body
>I'm afraid of complications
>Too expensive

These three seems to be perfectly reasonable to me man.
Personally I'd do it but I can understand why someone would worry about these.

>Not enough regulation
This one can also become a legit problem.
>>
People are going to be upset by mostly anything.
But as long the majority that matters (basically, the western world) come to accept it, the rest will be left behind and spend their time banging rocks together whilst we have robot orgies.
>>
The end of social mobility. When Talent and Strength become outright purchasable anyone lower class is stuck not being able to compete on an even level despite having the more natural competence for whatever the task required is. The sidequest in China showed that skill and dedication have become somewhat obsolete in the age of augmentation and that the only way to compete for people without money would be to essentially sell themselves into slavery for the augs.
>>
>>337836267
It's teeth implant base.
>>
File: BvxCSoRIYAAOMWN.jpg (53 KB, 571x507) Image search: [Google]
BvxCSoRIYAAOMWN.jpg
53 KB, 571x507
>>337819343
>>
>>337813036
Same reason they protested blacks in every major sport on the planet, Same reason they protest migrant workers, Because people automatically see someone with capabilities greater than theirs as a threat to their way of life. Poor people who can't afford it and Devout religion followers who are religiously programmed anything that doesn't come from god (kek) will always be inferior to augs in capability, and rather than admitting they want it, protesting it lets them pretend they still have dignity.
>>
>>337838586
The gay community?
>>
>>337813036
To be fair people are against it now aswell. People have been attacked for wearing computers because "muh privacy" even when encountered in public
>>
>>337838795
>muh privacy
Is the reason why smartphone cameras now make a huge audible click when they go off despite having no parts that click

Robot eyes that can record everything are going to get shit on so hard
>>
>>337835892
>Would you actually go and have parts of your body chopped off to be replaced with a mechanical part?
As a cripple who can't move, Yes.
>>
>>337839028
Something I thought was funny but also sad. The reason google glasses look so dumb is people were complaining about privacy issues when they tried to make them look like normal glasses and now everyone is complaining that they don't look like normal glasses.
>>
>>337813036
It's the reason why steroids and blood doping is not allowed in professional sports. It eventually creates a new standard of competition. If they were allowed, everyone would have to take them to compete.

With augmentations, it creates new standards. How can you compete against a guy with a HUD built into his eyes that can troubleshoot things for him. You would need that too. And in this universe, it makes it so that not only can you be hacked and become a zombie, but also you must take drugs or your body rejects the augment and you can die.
>>
File: fwesh.png (273 KB, 742x934) Image search: [Google]
fwesh.png
273 KB, 742x934
>>337818451
>JC Denton
>Mechanical augs
>>
>>337817252
she looks good by herself but that hand weirdly makes her even more interesting.
>>
>>337824092
>Assisted suicide is frowned upon

Sorry anon, get with the times. Assisted suicide is the norm now.
>>
>>337818451
>>337840325
What disturbs me more is the typo in the word
>fresh
>>
>>337838415
>When Talent and Strength become outright purchasable anyone lower class is stuck not being able to compete on an even level despite having the more natural competence for whatever the task required is
What is Nepotism
>>
>>337841019
how new
>>
>>337841520
Look again faggot
>>
>>337813036
Here's what i caught.
>Neuropozyne is highly addictive and pretty damn costly, plus if you cant get it your augmentics stop working
>Augs seem to be pretty cheesy in price department
>As time goes on, folks with augments will be more likely to get jobs than those without
>Ultimately this would create two classes of people, those who are augmented and thus in the upper echelons of society and those not augmented who end up being the shitty underclasses

And nobody wants to be the shitty underclasses.
>>
>>337840854
Maybe in parts of Europe.

The rest of the world is still fucking debating it if they've even brought it up.

It's probably going to be like in the United States where each fucking parcel of land has to debate the fucking issue before their in-state health care system will develop rules for it. Just like debating whether marijuana is fucking legal in 50 different legislatures. I don't think marijuana should be legal but what pisses me off even more is the fact that each state government has to have the same stupid debate over the same issue.
>>
>>337841409
exactly my point, the direct disadvantages of nepotism is circumvented by augmentation.
>>
>>337842245
>I don't think marijuana should be legal
Why
Thread replies: 247
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.