[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, FEAR. A FPS /v/ seems to love. Then I play it and discover
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: fear pc.jpg (29 KB, 507x385) Image search: [Google]
fear pc.jpg
29 KB, 507x385
So, FEAR. A FPS /v/ seems to love. Then I play it and discover you can only hold 3 guns at a time. For shame, /v/. A practice you criticize is accepted here just due to all the crazy physics and realistic lighting TECHNOLOGY.

Secondly, seeing your own shadow realistically projected dependent on lighting in a game. Whew, I can see why games now don't do this. Maybe it's a technical reason partially but I think it's also partially a design decision catering to normies and their view of what it is like. It's very beautiful that it can be done and makes everything feel more realistic--but for some reason it gives me sort of an uncanny, unsettling feeling, like it is its own character and alien to you.
>>
I know this is a stretch, but three is better than two. You only really need a rifle, the shotgun, and dual pistols/cannon in the late game anyway. Also, this game has medkit healing, the best shotgun in FPS, leaning keys, and smarter AI on harder difficulties instead of just sponges. Add all of that to the great physics and lighting, plus the general eerie atmosphere blended with R rated kung fu movie action, it makes for one of the best shooters of the 21st century. The "uncanny, unsettling feeling" you mentioned fits in a horror-lite type setting. Did I mention bullet time as well? Now, I either just took the time to respond to a bait thread or you are just bad at judging vidya. Oh well, have a good day anyhow.
>>
Is there another game where you can kill a guy in slow-mo, grab his shotgun as it leaves his grip, and shoot his buddy right next to him?
>>
>>337794628
>Then I play it and discover you can only hold 3 guns at a time. For shame, /v/.

hello new friend :^)
>>
>>337795479
Best shotgun as in "OP" or very accurate to how shotguns work or just a fun thing?
>>
>>337795479
The slowmo actually ruins the game by making it too easy IMO. I barely ever had less than 10 medkits
>>
>>337795695
Sadly, I've never fired a shotgun before so I wouldn't know about the second thing. It is quite powerful as it can turn regular drones into marinara, but it can't one shot the big guys. It's just fun as hell to use. You can do what second anon said. You can slide kick someone and blow their head off with a couple shells. You can clear a room pretty quickly in general. It's great because 75% of the game is in an office building so it is very handy over all.
>>
>>337794628
I wouldn't say /v/ loves it, most of /v/ probably hasn't played it. It's a decent game but it has pros and cons:
>Does atmosphere really well
>Good enemy AI
>Fun gameplay

However:
>Has poor replayability (scares are predetermined)
>Controls can be a bit janky
>Gameplay gets repetitive after a while

Obviously it's dated now but I still think it holds up quite well. Also why would you ever need to hold more than 3 guns? Weapons are scattered around all the levels so it's not like you're stuck using a shotgun in a long range battle unless you're retarded and threw away all your other guns.
>>
>>337795792
I can see where you're coming from, but I mainly like to use it for "style points".
>>
>OP is literally afraid of his own shadow
You can't make this shit up.

No one mentions the 3 weapon limit for simplre reason, and you have to look at the game to understand it: OVERLAP.

In F.E.A.R. there's no "elemental bullets" or "armor piercing ammunition". The only thing that diferentiates diffferent guns is fire rate, effective range (damage) and magazine size.

Why? Because of the way levels are designed. All encounters can be broken up in these categories:
>Short Range
You want something with high damage. High Fire rate is optional, shit just needs to die fast, or you're dead.
>Medium Range
Damage is slightly optional here. What you need is Fire rate. Medium Range things move around too much, and you move aswell. You want potshots, and the ocasional gap-close, pump shotgun-in-face technique.
>Long Range
You'll need a sniper, plain and simple. Long Range enemies also have one most of the time.
OR you're clearing an area you'll go to later. If you try to do it with an SMG you'll simply alert the place without killing anyone.

So you look at this, and realize that there's really no reason to carry more than 3 guns.
And most people take what >>337795479
said: Shotgun (short range), dual pistols (medium range) and rifle (long range).
>>
File: 1452882919909.jpg (165 KB, 439x550) Image search: [Google]
1452882919909.jpg
165 KB, 439x550
>>337795568
Superhot,

one of the most innovative shooters I've ever played.

Meme ending aside, it was an entertaining game
>>
File: 1451536204378.png (538 KB, 1128x635) Image search: [Google]
1451536204378.png
538 KB, 1128x635
>>337796110
>tfw I like assault rifles+penetrator and this man thinks dual pistols are better than them
>>
>>337794628
Believe me or not, third gun adds alot to weapon limit. With two weapons your task is to find best weapon and stick to it, with second best reserved for when main one is left without ammo.

Third weapon, however, let's you to have more variety. You can go full millitary with rifles and shotgun, you can add some superweapon to the mix, you can literally go kung-fu supersoldier with rockets+railgun+whatever that one last gun was.

Not to mention that on top of three weapons you had three kinds of explosives, medpacks and, reminding about it once again, Liu Kang-power. Finally, it was really easy to switch weapons on the go, since enemies used all kinds of normal weapons, armored soldiers almost always carry godlike stakegun, and pistols were aplenty.

[spolier]Only problem with shotgun is insane ammo capacity, it's like, more than a hundred, right?[/spoiler]
>>
>>337796476
Oh shit, I forgot about the penetrator. I love that thing; just nailing replicas to walls all day.
>>
>>337796575
>godlike stakegun
I fully expected the second Fear to have vampires.
Too bad.

Also, yeah, it was more than 100. Which means IT'S NOT ENOUGH.
>>
File: 1441653030226.jpg (50 KB, 470x483) Image search: [Google]
1441653030226.jpg
50 KB, 470x483
>Walking around an empty level
>Eerie silence
>Head towards door
>Suddenly a heavy bursts through and this starts playing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82MHcIgu-EQ
>mfw

FEAR has a lot of moments like that, I love it.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.