[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Civ VI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: civ v vs civ vi 1.jpg (2 MB, 1415x1700) Image search: [Google]
civ v vs civ vi 1.jpg
2 MB, 1415x1700
>“When we went into this, we looked into how people play the game,” says Busatti. He and his team combed through as many community screenshots of Civilization 4 and 5 as they could find, and the results taught them some important lessons. “Typically in a Civ game you want to see the world as a whole, so you’re pulling out a lot. That doesn’t mean people don’t zoom in, but for the most part. Some people even zoom all the way out and play in tactical mode.”

>That pointed to the need for an art style that looks just as good from far away as it does up close. “You want to make sure that things are readable from that distance, and one of the ways to do that is to really put an emphasis on shape and form. It’s obviously a little more readable if you have different silhouettes to things.” To that end, he says, the on-map characters we’ll see have more exaggerated proportions than those in Civilization 5, which makes them easily recognizable at a distance. “Warriors are definitely bigger. They’ve got a very thick silhouette and are just big massive guys, and you have smaller guys who are still heroic, but leaner. So you can tell the difference right away between an Archer and a Warrior.”
>>
File: civ v vs civ vi 2.jpg (2 MB, 1415x1698) Image search: [Google]
civ v vs civ vi 2.jpg
2 MB, 1415x1698
>At the same time, we’re also promised greater detail up close than ever before. For instance, Busatti says we’ll see more customization in basic unit types in their representation from culture to culture than in past Civilization games. “We still have our unique units. Like, you see the Samurai, which are still unique the Japanese. But even the base units, like the Pikemen, all have a cultural flare to them.” Drawing from a collection of region-specific cosmetic pieces, Firaxis is creating variations to suit their home countries. “You still need to be able to read them as Pikemen – he still needs a long post, and it’s a very iconic shape. But we’ve gone a little further by changing up helmets, maybe the ends of the pike looks slightly different depending on the region the character is from. We’ve also got different skin tones, different ethnicity for the characters.” He adds that these cosmetic tweaks are the sort of thing modders will be able to put their own spin on very easily.

>On the user interface level, Busatti says Civilization 6 is getting its own distinctive style, too. “Civ 5 has a beautiful UI – we were really happy with how that turned out. The Art Deco theme was a great fit for that project. But we wanted to do something different this time, and one theme that kept coming up and seemed like a great fit – and I was surprised we hadn’t done it before – is the Age of Exploration.”

>That phrase refers to the time of Christopher Colombus - the 15th and 16th centuries. We can expect to see elements like compasses, astrolabes, and anything that has to do with travel and discovering new lands. It’s a very appropriate theme for Civilization, especially the early game when you’re uncovering an unknown map. Busatti says it won’t change when our civilizations’ technology advances beyond those rudimentary tools – Firaxis doesn’t like to change the UI when it’s not necessary, since that can cause confusion.
>>
>we want the "scroll wheel is too complicated" audience
nice try
>>
File: 231784-first-city.jpg (175 KB, 625x381) Image search: [Google]
231784-first-city.jpg
175 KB, 625x381
>In an elegant-sounding touch, that theme will extend to the Fog of War itself. “The big difference in our Fog of War from Civ 5 is that Civ 5 had the clouds. Now we’re treating the totally unexplored areas as a blank parchment with longitude and latitude lines on it,” says Busatti. “But as you explore that you start to open things up. The mid-fog, instead of being a darker version of the visible terrain, is now drawn in a map style. So we have shaders on it that simulate a pen-and-ink cross-hatch style map. It’s really cool and I’m excited to show that off. And in the empty spaces we have hand-drawn ships and sort of ‘here be dragons’ kind of stuff.”
>>
File: day_and_night.png (178 KB, 2400x2400) Image search: [Google]
day_and_night.png
178 KB, 2400x2400
The other major visual style element that Busatti’s extremely proud of is a callback to Civilization IV. “We had those pre-rended Wonder movies that show a sort of time-lapse photography sunrise to sunset. Everybody really liked those, and we got a lot of comments that they missed those as a reward for building Wonders,” he recalls. “So now we’re doing those in-game. Wonders actually have very intricate build sequences, so as you’re building Wonders over time you can see a certain percentage that’s done by looking at them massing. But when you’re done you’re rewarded by this movie – actually, the time of day in the world changes. So it goes from night to sunrise, so you see all the bricks building up in place until you get to sunset. Or some of the wonders end at night because they’re lit. And it’s all in-game in your world, and you can see all your buildings around it. It makes the world seem more alive, and that’s something we’ve put a lot of effort into.”

>Yes, Firaxis built a whole time-of-day system just for that one feature. But its uses may not end there. “We’ve been experimenting. We’d also like to do a setting where you literally you see the sun rise when you start the game. But we’ve also had a setting where you can just keep rotating through. It doesn’t make sense to tie it to turns, but a looping two or three-minute cycle. And we also want to give people the option to set certain times, just say ‘6pm!’ and play that way.”

>And even though those uses are entirely cosmetic, Busatti says a feature like time-of-day lighting could find other purposes. “There are plenty of ways to tie it in for the modding community. I could see someone making a Gettysburg game where the time of the day actually indicates when the game’s going to be over. So you start your battle at sunrise, and it gets incrementally darker every turn until it’s night time, and that’s the end of the game.”
>>
>>337745493
>We’d also like to do a setting where you literally you see the sun rise when you start the game.
THE SUN'S COMING AND WE'RE WATCHING IT RISE
AS A NEW ERA'S HERE, IT'S AS SOLID AS IRON
>>
how long until marketers call this the Endless Legend/Space killer?
>>
File: 2016-05-15_21-14-35.png (29 KB, 635x173) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-15_21-14-35.png
29 KB, 635x173
>>337746003
Unlikely, because Endless Legends is already dead while Civ 5 has 60k players right now.
>>
File: Civ VI-2.jpg (674 KB, 1914x1072) Image search: [Google]
Civ VI-2.jpg
674 KB, 1914x1072
>>337745182
>>
So why have they said they're doing this design change, endless legend or mobile
>>
As much as people shit on Beyond Earth (for good reason sometimes) I hope they incorporate some of the good things about it. Specifically Rising Tide, where the diplomacy actually made sense and had meaning. Spies were more interesting, I would also like a slightly less linear tech tree than V so that stealing techs could possibly be great even if you're ahead scientifically.
>>
I really don't know how am I supposed to feel about this tbqh senpaitachi.

On one hand it looks shite. On the other, I always think new Civ titles shite - it was the case with III, IV, V, BE except that one stayed that way
>>
How mad would /v/ if the reason for the graphical downgrade was because: CIVILIZATION VI IS COMING TO PS4™ AND XBOX ONE™
>>
>>337747165
How the fuck do you even play a strategy game with a controller?

How the fuck do you play any game that is not a 3p action game/racer/arcade/jrpg with a controller?!
>>
>>337747337
Turn based games are playable with controllers usually. Just way slower.
>>
>>337745182
>>337745297
>>337745396

tl;dr we're lazy shits that don't wanna detail shit.

Dunno why the landscape needs to basic
>>
>>337745182
Civ V's graphics are literally more cohesive and distinguishable to me. They set out to make the game more legible and the achieved the exact opposite.
>>
>>337747337
Tropico 5 plays very well on console, and it's an RTS

Civ could definitely play well on console. Menus would get turned into tabs you toggle through, and using a cursor for selecting shit would be just as easy as on PC.
>>
>>337747709
Don't know, maybe I am just prejudiced against controllers in fps/strategies in general.

I played quake and CS my entire childhood and then, when I came to do my LLB in England, got subjected to halo and cod on an xbox. First time I tried to play it I almost popped an aneurysm.
>>
>>337747105
Rising Tide was shit. It was literally one step forward, one step back. Diplomacy was also shit. Trading never meant losing anything in RT, only gaining. You pay a few points of diplomatic capital but that's it.

Also the complete absence of luxuries to make the terrain more appealing or to trade with other factions made settling a colony less meaningful, and no way to negotiate things like terms to end war or even warn them to step off your border/stop settling near you was stupid as fuck.

Victories were also bland and were just variations of the Tech victory in Civ 5.
>>
>>337745182
They really should just release some more screenshots, Ideally from the angle that people will actually be playing at.

It's hard to compare how the art style might look during actual play when all we have to go on is some tilted promo image.
>>
>>337748179
>First time I tried to play it I almost popped an aneurysm

>can't handle controllers

no you're just retarded.
>>
File: 51Q1C83SSBL[1].jpg (57 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
51Q1C83SSBL[1].jpg
57 KB, 354x500
>>337748179
Controllers are shitty at precision and can't match the speed of a mouse for complex movements but they can be used for strategy games. There's been a lot of mouse-style games on consoles, including handhelds and old consoles where they have to make do with just the D-pad.

Turn based works better than other strategy because there's no limit to punish slow movements.
>>
>>337747165
Could console processors even handle civ in the late game? I have a 4690k and on large maps in the late game the wait time takes really long between turns.
>>
>>337749248
I never understood why that is
>>
>>337749248
civ v is just optimized like poop. the maps are smaller than previous games but the between turns takes ridiculously long late game even though there are less cities and less units
>>
File: SLUG HEAD.png (2 MB, 890x1548) Image search: [Google]
SLUG HEAD.png
2 MB, 890x1548
>>337748306
Diplomacy wasn't great, however everything else was spot on.

It seem like you did better in water than land.
>>
>>337745493
so wait time of day only happens when you're building wonders? that sounds really fucking stupid and pointless
>>
>>337749492
I'm assuming because of how much each civ needs to do to process a turn, each one's going to have a ton of units and buildings in the late game so it's like combinatorial explosion with how many choices the AI has to decide to do.
>>
>>337749725
it's just a nice thing to have in the engine for modders. there' sjust no real mechanical use for it in a standard civ game other than aesthetics.
>>
>>337749671
but this looks like shit compared to beyond earth which looks closer to civ5 anyways
>>
>>337749671
so "you" stands for civ player and "we" means iPhone baby
>>
>>337749858
dumb use of it and a admitted case of "let the modders do our work for free"
>>
>>337749076
civ 2 was on ps1 also it's so obvious this was made for consoles that we're having conversations like these
>>
>>337749994
>V babies
>civ players
lmao
>>
>>337745372
nah it's to cover the fact it's a console game
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.