[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, Doom has a massive modding scene. but what about Wolfenstein?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: wolf.jpg (44 KB, 541x338) Image search: [Google]
wolf.jpg
44 KB, 541x338
So, Doom has a massive modding scene. but what about Wolfenstein? how does its custom maps and mods scene compare to Doom's?
>>
>>337478324
Dude, Wolfenstein 3D has even OLDER and probably bigger modding scene! I used to check this site, Wolfensteindomain.co.uk, every day back in early 00s, seeing new mods being introduced every single day, some of them pushing the old engine to its very limits.

Nowadays when we got the OpenGL source-ports and stuff, you can almost match Doom's quality with it! I still recall how amazing it was to have textured ceilings and floors, doubled resolution textures, and brand new weapon types, like shotgun, rocket launcher, and fucking chainsaw!
>>
File: Wolfen Doom new - caco.png (321 KB, 620x388) Image search: [Google]
Wolfen Doom new - caco.png
321 KB, 620x388
>>337478689
This.

Pic related; this is all in modified Wolf3D, and uses some quite basic edits by modern standards.
>>
>>337478324
Wolf3d is an obsolete piece of shit and only contrarian autist hipsters would give it any attention past 1993
>>
>>337479251
Doom is an obsolete piece of shit, and only contrarian autist hipsters would give it any attention past 1995
>>
>>337480493
Doom is on a simple open source 2d engine which is why it still has a modding base over early 3d FPS.
>>
>>337478324
It had a pretty big modding scene as well. I'm not sure if it was bigger than Doom, because it's pretty hard to tell how big the Doom modding scene really is.

I think a lot of Wolf modders moved on to Doom because it introduced a lot of things in terms of environment etc, without being considerably more complicated and resource demanding.
>>
>>337482380
Wolfenstein 3D is on a simple open source 2d engine which is why it still has a modding base over early 3d FPS.
>>
>>337479251
Just leave you fucking idiot. You never played Wolf3d, and you never played Doom.
>>
File: Floedit II 3.jpg (53 KB, 400x278) Image search: [Google]
Floedit II 3.jpg
53 KB, 400x278
>>337482612
Wolfenstein 3D actually had, and still has, plenty of all NEW modders after Doom's era. Partly because it's so damn simple mechanically, that you can edit things and see the results in mere seconds.

I was a total Wolf3D nerd back in 2003 because of this. I'd not seen such simple game-editor as the old FloEdit for Wolfenstein, which allowed me to literally paint my levels and edit sprites and sounds in a simple GUI window.
>>
>>337482957
Looks neat. I know a little about Doom modding but I might actually try Wolf3d modding sometime if it's as simple as your screenshot makes it look.
>>
>>337478324
It's too simplistic, you can't really do much with it.
>>
I don't see much of a point when it doesn't do anything Doom doesn't.
>>
>>337482616
The point is that it's as good as 2d FPS engines go other then build.
>>
>>337483072
It's as simple as drawing in MS PAINT.
For starters, the entire game is literally "2D", as in you constantly move on a single level. Next, the maps are formed out of 64x64 sized grid, and a single cell on it can only hold ONE object, be it a wall/door, or an item/enemy/etc.

because of this simplicity, making maps is literally like drawing. The said editor also has separate tabs for showing all the sprites and textures, and for playing all the sound effects. You can also swap them to whatever you want in these views, as long as they're in the same format (I used to export some basic sprites and sounds, then edit right on top of them to get em right).

Fir fancuer stuff, like editing stats or adding new features, you need to edit code, and compile it. This however may have changed to something simpler in recent years, thanks to the Source ports.

>>337483293
Not all games are, nor need to be too complex. You could make a decent dungeon crawler with Wolf3D.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.