[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How should a game punish you for dying, if at all? Was playing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: ratchet and clank ps4.jpg (457 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ratchet and clank ps4.jpg
457 KB, 1920x1080
How should a game punish you for dying, if at all?

Was playing pic related and it dawned on me that you don't get punished for dying at all, not even losing bolts/ammo. Some enemies that you killed before you died actually remain dead as well.
>>
>>337245358
>How should a game punish you for dying, if at all?
Reset the whole level
>>
>playing a childrens game

>"why doesn't it have punishment that enforces harsh consequences for falling for shit that can happen over and over again"

you're playing a game where death in itself is punishment enough and that's ok
>>
File: 4lwjCtf.gif (2 MB, 416x320) Image search: [Google]
4lwjCtf.gif
2 MB, 416x320
There's alot of ways to punish the player. It depends on alot of factors, from how "casual" you want your game to be, to how you want people to view the endgame.

Some games offer a lives system, and when it runs out, you get kicked out of the game and lose any progress you made, assuming there isn't a save system.

Some have said save system, and will make you lose any progress if you die. It works better if you limit the amount of times you can save.

One of my personal favorites is the "rogue-like" way of punishment, where you get perma death and lose everything you attained up to that point, but you'd have to be a moron to die in it, so you only have yourself to blame.
>>
>>337245820
I never even implied what happens when you die should've been changed. I just wanted to hear what people think about games punishing you for dying, R&C was what made me think about it.
>>
>>337245358
depends on the genre
survival horror games should definitely punish death and maybe even have limited saves to increase tension
>>
>>337245358
Ratchet and Clank was beautiful, well-made game anon.

To impose your "If you die you should die harder" Souls type attitude shows that you are in fact, truly autismal.

*tips fedora and walks away*
>>
>>337246589
My thoughts exactly.
>>
File: 305.jpg (41 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
305.jpg
41 KB, 512x384
Why did it seem like this had no effort or talent put towards it?
>Animations not even finished
>In-game cutscenes are incredibly stilted
>Lower performance than game it is based on, company admits to not caring about it anymore
>Soundtrack is just generic orchestral tracks and they made sure to publically shit all over the previous game's works as well
>Less planets
>Returning planets have LESS content in them
>Characters not shutting the fuck up and patronisingly explaining every stupid fucking detail to you in case you're too stupid to figure it out
>Glorified, interactive cutscenes abound.
>Characters removed
>Humour sanitised
>Ratchet completely boring as a character now

Seriously, there's a trophy for getting eaten by the fish on Pakitaru and it doesn't even fucking eat you. It just takes a bite and you just slump into the water. I was so fucking mad when that happened. It's just laziness, pure and simple. They just did not care beyond making the visuals look nice.

How a game advertised to look better than the original is animated and performs so poorly compared to the original that came out 13 years ago is indicative of the lack of talent or drive left at Insomniac.

Wonder if I'll trigger that autistic anon with this image again
>>
>>337247507
troll post.. dont reply
>>
>>337247871

Those in game cutscenes are incredibly jarring. Every time they have to progress the game's plot with something that wasn't in the movie, it's literally just somebody standing in front of Ratchet, telling him what to do, and giving him an infobot, and walking away. And every time they use scenes from the movie, it's jarring because nothing else in the game looks like it, and the there are obvious cuts at the beginning and end of each snippit they show. It's really not good in that department.
>>
>>337247507
What about that image?
>>
>>337248442
Low budget
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.