[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /v/ play any open source games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: Linus_pilot.jpg (57 KB, 577x577) Image search: [Google]
Linus_pilot.jpg
57 KB, 577x577
Does /v/ play any open source games?
>>
there is no decent open source game

well, maybe wesnoth but the only worth mention are the oldies that got open sourced (old quake, old doom, Comand and Conquer Classics, XCOM classic, etc)

I still cannot understand how an open source software and OS can get popular but an open source game cannot

maybe because a game deprecates too fast to be able to get any profit (if you make it open source)
>>
>>337130526
>(old quake, old doom, Comand and Conquer Classics, XCOM classic, etc)
Can those even be considered OS? I mean, sure the "EXE" is, but the rest of the entire game is still "closed" isn't it.

>I still cannot understand how an open source software and OS can get popular but an open source game cannot
My take is when writing software you only need to program, whereas you'd need a few different trades/talents/skills for a complete decent game, unless you opt out of the whole "resources" thing and focus entirely on gameplay with crude everything else.
Like Nethack.
>>
File: grand_theft_GNU.jpg (913 KB, 1473x1080) Image search: [Google]
grand_theft_GNU.jpg
913 KB, 1473x1080
>>337130526
Sadly that is true, all open source games look like they were made in 90s or before.

ID Tech engines were open sourced when next iteration came out. Latest is 4, but due to Bethesda being fuckheads, 5 probably won't be open sourced when Doom 4 with ID Tech 6 comes out.
C&C classics and XCOM went freeware, but were not open sourced AFAIK. There are however open source engine reimplementations for them (OpenRA and OpenXCOM)
probably because one is a tool and one is piece of entertainment.
And there are not many open source game developers. And not many tools to use for that.
Best open source game engine I could find is Godot Engine, which seems like it has a long long way to go.
I am really fucking glad that Epic Games are truly epic and made Unreal Engine 4 almost-open-source (two registrations / EULAs away of being open source to be precise).
>>
Yeah, i have been playing Red Eclipse for over 3 years now.

An open source fast paced arena FPS. Has a parkour system similar to Titanfall. Every weapon has two different shot attacks (you can even use a sword).

The game is like 5 years old and it's currently in 1.5 version.

It has a small but nice community. But right now, almost all the great names had left (all of them grew and now started working) and just play every now and then. So i think it's the best time to start playing for new people.

I pitched an idea to the creators about creating more gameplay videos to attract more people (because the ones on youtube barely showcased the gameplay capabilities of this game), and i made two (one little cringy) videos with some gameplay i recorded in a couple of hours. So please don't judge them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKYK-Zneoys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CuBH1Bzv4A

Fun fact. Microsoft used it to showcase a technology they were working on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1EatGRV0w
>>
>>337131952
Oh, watch the videos in HD. They look disgusting in 360p
>>
>>337131157

yeah, modern gaming is a mix of art, engineering and something a little research (engines mostly)

>>337131717

patents and licenses will always be a problem, the point is how can you make money with an open source game. With most OS software you get in support, I bet that if you do an opensource MOBA, MMORPG, you could get money with tech support and microtransactions (most online games are freeware)

at least we are very close to get Linux as a gaming platform
>>
>>337131952
Looks decent, i will give it a try.
>>
what I don't understand is, if all software was free and open source, who would pay for the computers to program them on?

I don't think these beardy linux types have thought this through
>>
>>337130526
>I still cannot understand how an open source software and OS can get popular but an open source game cannot
WHen creating a game you need a clear goal and direction, you need someone with a vision to direct it
Open source anyone just does whatever the fuck they want, but if everyone is working on a specific technology, everyone knows what the goal is. If you're making on some PDF reading library everyone involved knows what's the objective is, which is make something that reads a PDF.
When making a game however there is no clear goal or vision that everyone involved can immediatly perceive, it needs to come from someone that has a vision and control the troups to work on his command, and that's really hard on an open source project because it's usually decentralized
>>
>>337136223

Open source anyone just does whatever the fuck they want, but if everyone is working on a specific technology, everyone knows what the goal is. If you're making on some PDF reading library everyone involved knows what's the objective is, which is make something that reads a PDF.

complex, open source projects are funded by companies or people with shitload of money (Ubuntu, IBM, Intel, Samsung, etc) they PAY developers to do an specific job in the open source project, it had a roadmap, goals, TODO and things like that.

Mostly cathedral style is the most productive open source development style

Bazaar is more "free" but can be curversome when trying to do complex projects

personally I prefer open source an engine more than a game. The game is mostly a final product and there is too much inbetween that could make it fail as a OS project.
>>
Cataclysm dda is something I play
Wikipedia says its open source
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.