[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been bored as fuck with all my games lately and want
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: latest[1].png (175 KB, 443x338) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
175 KB, 443x338
I've been bored as fuck with all my games lately and want to try a new series. I have never been a big fan of Sonic/gone into the history of it but want to get into it and give the old hedgehog a try. Here's my Sonic experiences

>Sonic Heroes on Xbox
>Sonic 4 Episode 1
>Sonic 4 Episode 2

And I loved them all very much, the combination of speed, the shiny and bright graphics and colors, the amazing music, and the fun rollercoaster level design were things I adored. But I was scared for years of getting called an autistic for playing Sonic but now I realize it was just a meme all along propagated by shitty gaming journalists and Youtube cancer. So if I liked these games, what can I play next?
>>
Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic 3&K, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Sonic Advance 1, 2, and 3, Sonic Unleashed HD, Sonic Colors, Sonic Generations, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, Maybe Knuckles Chaotix
>>
>>336321123
A lot of these sound familiar but i take it these are the cream of the crop? I think i played a little of sonic 1 at a friends house when I was a kid. I remember the green hill zone being cheery and having good flow but then the second zone was just slow as fuck and boring.

I also played the demo to one sonic game on the xbox 360 and I really fucking loved it but don't know which one it is. It took place in a stark white town, kind of looked like mykonos Greece. There was a boost button that made you go EXTREMELY fast and the music was absolutely perfect. Which one was that? I want to play that one first
>>
>>336321417
That was Sonic Unleashed HD anon
And yes anon those are the cream of the crop
>>
>>336321417
That game is Sonic Unleashed. Be aware that half the levels are boost, and half the levels are slow beat-em-up levels where Sonic turns into a werewolf. If you don't like the werehog, get Sonic Generations for PC. Half the gameplay is boost, like Unleashed, while the other half is 2D, similar to Sonic 4 but without the homing attack. PC also has mod support, and one of the best mods for it is Unleashed Project which gives you all the boost levels from Unleashed without the Werehog levels.
>>
File: 1461098101598.gif (596 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1461098101598.gif
596 KB, 500x375
>Classic Triology (1, 2, 3&K/Complete)
If you decide to play 1, try and go in it with a different mindset from the other games. It's got some weird design shit like Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone. The games only get better from there, though.
>Triple Trouble
The Game Gear's Sonic 3, definitely give it a try.
>Pocket Adventure
Not much to say other than it's pretty good.
>Advance Trilogy
The next best series of games after the classics. Each one plays a bit differently, though. 1 plays more like a replica of the classics, 2 is more focused and speed with less platforming, and 3 is a strange mix of both.
>Colors
Basically one of the best 3D Sonic games, though it suffers from having a bit too much 2D.
>Generations
Colors but with less 2D in the 3D levels.

After playing any of those should you find yourself enjoying the series, I'd recommend trying out Adventure and Adventure 2 to see how you like them. If you enjoy them, keep going and playing the other games. If not, then just stick to the games listed.
>>
>>336321123
>Unleashed
Honestly, just buy Generations on PC and mod the Unleashed levels into it. It's a better experience overall.
>>
>>336320717
>Sonic 4

If you liked that game you might as well go straight into Sonic 2 and 3K. Sonic 4 is considered to be a terrible game not worth of the title.

I personally recommend Sonic 2, 3K, CD for the classic 2d games. (You can start with Sonic 1 but Sonic 2 is pretty much better in every way.)

A bit more modern 2d you should check out Sonic Advance 1-3 and Sonic Rush.

3d I'd recommend Sonic Colors and Generations. Adventure 1 and 2 are dated but might be worth your time if you can ignore the flaws.

Last but not least if you exhaust your list of Sonic games you can always play Freedom Planet.
>>
File: 1461625422239.png (91 KB, 486x555) Image search: [Google]
1461625422239.png
91 KB, 486x555
>>336321916
>Freedom Planet
>Not Ristar
>>
File: 1423851832589.png (19 KB, 480x464) Image search: [Google]
1423851832589.png
19 KB, 480x464
>>336322083
Hey man, it's just my opinion.

But Ristar is also good.
>>
>>336321496
Thanks man, I gotta play that one first. That demo was one of the greatest experiences I had on the 360.

>>336321660
So that werewolf looking thing is sonic after transforming? Seems kind of weird but if it makes sense in the story I don't see the problem. I also don't have a problem with beat em ups, one of my favorite genres actually and to see two types of gameplay on one disc is pretty novel. Does the werewolf have any platforming or collectibles or is it straight up beating enemies in an arena or whatever? I'm getting some old 3D platformer vibes from it and complimenting that with the boost levels sounds fun.

>>336321705
Noted. I mainly want to play the main series of games before diving into any spin offs though. From what i hear, >>336321123 this is considered the main Sonic Team titles.

>>336321828
My PC is not that good but I'll look into that too. I definitely need to experience all of this Sonic Unleashed game though since the graphics, music, gameplay, and speed are all things that wowed me. I'm the type who needs to play the main series of something too and it feels like a disservice to the Sonic Team by skipping out on their work

>>336321916
Cool i'm gonna do this, thanks m8. I don't mind datedness since it reminds me of the 90s and early 2000s, my childhood. Things have progressed super fast since then and not everyone was able to predict what would work and what wouldn't in early 3D games, so I can look over a lot of flaws associated in games from that period
>>
>>336322358
>Does the werewolf have any platforming or collectibles
Tons of it. In fact the collectibles is one of the knocks against the game because you have to replay levels a bunch just to unlock the next one. But if you like 3D platforming + beat-em-up then go right ahead, just keep in mind it's a departure from the boost gameplay.

Also avoid the PS2/Wii versions, they're completely different levels due to those consoles not being able to handle the PS3/360 levels, and much worse.

And since you liked Heroes and don't seem to be against having multiple types of gameplay in one game, you might as well also check out Adventure and Adventure 2.
>>
>>336320717
>>336321417
Sonic 1 literally originated as a tech demo for fluid slope physics, which was a really fucking big deal at the time. It's more of a traditional platformer and should be played as such. Sonic 2 is when the idea of "Sonic gameplay" really took hold, where they added the spin dash and emphasized faster-paced level design overall. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is basically "Sonic 2 but more." The main difference between the classic games and Sonic 4, aside from the art design, is that the classic games are built around a really tight physics engine that Sonic 4 was unable to duplicate.
>>
>>336322589
Sounds like this game was made for me, either I have shit taste or I'm wondering why dedicated Sonic fans would hate it. Either way I can't wait and the demo sold me as both a game and technical showcase. Hard to believe that a 2008? 2009? game looks better than a lot of games today.

Yeah I had no intention of playing the PS2/Wii one, shit I didnt even know it existed until just looking it up now. I think after Sonic Unleashed I would try Generations or Sonic Adventure next, since those also have lots of fans. I'm a bit more partial to 3D games since thats what I grew up with on n64/PS1 but people call the old Sonic games some of the best ever made so its very tempting.

>>336322829
I don't really know what you mean about this physics stuff but I'll try it once I get into it. I assume by slope physics, you mean being able to pick up speed by going down hills and shit right? I dont really remember that playing a big deal in the little of Sonic 1 I played. It had its use in green hill on the loops, but the second level completely threw it out the window. If the other games are like green hill throughout then that'd be great
>>
>Sonic 4

Well, at the very least I can say that you have nowhere to go but up. If you liked Sonic 4, 4 of all games, you'll probably absolutely fucking love the originals. You'll adore them.
>>
>>336321123
This. And if liked fucking Sonic 4(that isnt that great) then try Sonic 1 and 2 for Master System(not the game gear versions), Triple Trouble and Pocket Adventure.
Sonic CD get the HD remake. Sonic 1 and 2 the ios versions if possible. Download Sonic 3 Complete. Download Sonic R(or give it a try) and 06 soundtracks.

Play Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed if you are into party racing games.
>>
>>336323283
I dont see what was so wrong with sonic 4. I think 4 zones was kind of lame, 6 would've been a sweet spot, but they were short, had good flow and speed, and I like the sort of plastic looking graphics it has for some reason. I played each for months, those special stages were mind trips.

Anyway, I just ordered Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations. I see the adventure games are on Xbox Live so I'll just play those off there. Whats the best avenue to play the retro Sonic games? xbox live too? Having a bunch of Sonic games all on one system sounds nice
>>
>>336324076
Gamecube Mega Collection or just emulate
>>
>>336324076
People tend to hate a lot on 4 due to the high expectations towards it. I mean, I think it's ok as a game by itself, but it just doesn't hold a candle to the classic ones. Hopefully you'll see what we mean after you play them, particularly 2 and 3&K. Also l, did you play Episode 2 or just 1? 2 was quite a lot better.
>>
>>336324548
Oh, wait, you said you did play 2 in the OP. My bad.
>>
>>336324534
Ill try to emulate, like I said my pc isnt that good. I see the retro sonics are on Xbox live too, is something wrong with those ports?

>>336324548
I dont understand the complaints either but well see. I played both Episodes and was hoping there would be an Episode 3 since the end of 2 seemed to hint at it, like there was unfinished business. I prefer E2 but still enjoy 1 a lot.
>>
>>336324534
Megacollection Plus has more shit and is also for the original Xbox. But I wouldn't recomend since you have to unlock some games and that sucks.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.