[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
THIS GAME IS acceptable as a sequel to star fox 64. It doesn't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 254x144) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 254x144
THIS GAME IS acceptable as a sequel to star fox 64. It doesn't get close to ever exceeding it though. Biggest issue is the lack of full alternate levels, as alt levels are mainly time attack boss fights and the like.
>>
I agree, a few more levels like Fortuna and Titania would have made the game 10/10 for me personally. And maybe a 8.5/10 objectively.
>>
How was the chemistry between Fox and his wingmates and enemies?
>>
It's a fun game and I appreciate the possibility of freely playing each level independently instead of being forced to play the entire campaign just for one level.
I'm getting gud with the controls, already have like 30 medals (I'm no completionist at all so that's an achievement for me) and I still feel like wanting to play more and challenge myself.
The coop is great too.
I'm dissapointed with the "3D audio" thing though, I thought it was a "relative to you" 3D, not simply "enemies on left speaker, friends on right speaker", that's kind of stupid. Also having the Arwing audio on the gamepad drowns all audio from the TV so I can barely hear the music.

The controls are cool and makes me want to try them out on Splatoon (been playing that game with motion controls off since day 1)
>>
File: 1377005762322.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1377005762322.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>336123469
actually pretty good.

Falco: (in a cocky voice) "Looks like they sent a welcoming party. Should we say hello?"
[Is immediately chased by enemies]
Falco: "Ooonnnnn second thought, let's take the back way."

During the fortuna boss fight there's some pretty funny banter between falco and slippy.

Slippy: "I think it's saying something, Falco can you translate the screeching?"
Falco: "Don't make me come over there, slip"

Slippy: "C'mon, Falco! Talk some sense into it or something!"
Falco: "Right—because I'm a bird, we must be friends?! C'mon!"

In Sector-I-Forgot-Which-One you have to enter an enemy fleet and disable the defense shield from the inside, so that the Cornerian Fleet can shoot a large lazer at it. Normally General Pepper counts down so you have some time to escape. Thanks to being able to move during cutscenes is a thing, if you're quick enough you can escape before he starts counting down and he says: "Forget the countdown LET THEM HAVE IT!".

The Starwolf dialogue is really damn good, too.
>>
>>336122524
The fucking hovercraft hogging up two levels is insane.
>>
>>336124971
>"Forget the countdown LET THEM HAVE IT!"
That sounds about as hype as the Forever Train guy shouting "I CAN'T STOP IT!!!!!" right before his impending death
>>
>>336122524
Why is there no co op in arcade mode

WHY IS THERE NO CO OP IN ARCADE MODE
>>
How is this game if your ZR trigger on your Gamepad is slightly stuck?
>>
>>336125386
You're gonna have a bad time

>>336125326
Shit, it's true, it's idiotic.
At least in history mode after every mission the game tells you which would be the next mission so you can make-believe that you're in arcade mode.
>>
File: WiiU_screenshot_TV_01B04.jpg (460 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
WiiU_screenshot_TV_01B04.jpg
460 KB, 1280x720
This game is short.
>>
>>336125326
Why can't we use black arwing in arcade mode either?
>>
I actually agree with Jim Sterling's review, the game is a nearly unplayable piece of dogshit with no enjoyment to be found
>>
>>336126574
Why does this game have less content than 64?
>>
File: 1461205675021.gif (849 KB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
1461205675021.gif
849 KB, 540x304
>>336125305
>mfw
https://youtu.be/hjCayWBr9Hk?t=77

it was so out of character of General Pepper I love it.
>>
>>336126724
It's not that it's unplayable. It just asks more out of the player., effort that he's not willing to put into the game.

Not saying I blame him for that. Some people just wanna lay out on the couch and fingerbang their neighbor's wife while playing vidya, and necessary motion controls mean they can't relax like that.
>>
>>336125305
When you beat Aquarosa (alternate corneria boss fight) right before he explodes:
>"You beat us again!?"
>"... I'm never gonna live this down.."
>Fox: "You got that right"
>[explosion]
>>
>>336127034
It's more that the game has a sky high learning curve but it isn't rewarding at all to overcome that learning curve.
You're still left with an incredibly subpar game even if you get past the controls.
>>
I just wish that the next Star Fox game (if it ever happens...) has some more synthy-rock (don't know if "synth rock" is 100% the right term) type stuff that the original and the cancelled Star Fox 2 had

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06sv7SazH9o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkYCFBnvPLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChNYlp_0Rqc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyhXZw_1A8s
>>
File: demo.png (582 KB, 684x415) Image search: [Google]
demo.png
582 KB, 684x415
>>336124971
>Falco: "Ooonnnnn second thought, let's take the back way."

As someone that played the demo, I noticed that this dialogue was changed. It was originally pic related. Really glad they changed it.
>>
>>336127936
I'm sure the team is down to make a sequel.
>>
File: 1455814670327.gif (2 MB, 291x244) Image search: [Google]
1455814670327.gif
2 MB, 291x244
>>336127936
>That Fortuna stage music

I never played the original game, but is that really what plays? It sounds like it came straight out of Sonic 2.
>>
>>336122524
$30 when?
never, 'cause it'll be an nx launch title
>>
File: 1459395967044.gif (30 KB, 372x375) Image search: [Google]
1459395967044.gif
30 KB, 372x375
There's a storytime on /co/ of the Star Fox comic if you guys are interested. >>>/co/82362662
>>
>>336128764
>NX launch title with regular ass Star Fox controls
Oh please god let it be
>>
>>336129171
Doubt it. Unless they totally butcher some of the bosses, I don't see it happening without motion controls.
>>
File: slut.gif (3 MB, 294x238) Image search: [Google]
slut.gif
3 MB, 294x238
>he hasn't mastered the controls
>>
>>336122524
I just finishing 100%ing it a few days ago. The reviewers are casuals, controls are great. Turning/strafing in the chicken/landmaster is a little cumbersome but other than that they're excellent.

Main problem with the game is the lack of content and pacing & structure. Star Fox 64 had 15 fully featured levels, Zero has 12 along with 10 short extra stages. They're about on-par with content if you include Zero's extra stages, but the problem is that Zero is structured incredibly fucking poorly. You got more out of the levels in 64 because there was no level-select screen, you had to play through the game each time to get to new stages. This meant you gradually got better at the old stages, and the game in general, the more you played while also exploring alternative paths and new stages. In Zero that aspect is completely gone, there's only one actual alternate path on your first playthrough and the rest of them are locked until you basically beat the game. Another major problem is that the alternate paths themselves are very shallow in Zero, most of them revolve around you targeting onto a Star Wolf member that appears randomly after beating the game, or playing through the exact same level you normally would except doing one minor thing differently. Also, fuck the medals, a lot of them are unintuitive as hell.

Still enjoyed the game a lot though, just wish it had more content and way better pacing/structure.
>>
>>336126805
It doesn't, the levels are much more complicated.

Getting everything in this game is quite the challenge.

>>336127380
Lol. Keep telling yourself that, buddy.
>>
>>336129171
>People actually wanting gyro controls off

But Splatoon and Star Fox Zero would be shit without them
>>
Starfox has never been a good franchise, it's incredibly overrated, especially 64.
>>
>>336129792
Star Fox 64 is the OoT/FFVII of it's franchise.
>>
>>336129648
>It doesn't, the levels are much more complicated.
They're more complicated on a technical level and there's more enemies because of the controls, but that doesn't mean it's content rich. Compared to 64, the alternate goals are shallow and the game is structure like shit so you're getting less and less out of the stages.

>Getting everything in this game is quite the challenge.
There's a lot of good medals in Zero, but there's also a fair amount that are just dumb as fuck and unntuitive. It's definitely an upgrade from solely the high score medals from 64, but it's not a game-changing addition and could have been better.
>>
>>336130301
>Medal for not killing one specific enemy
>Medal for walking on one specific spot as the chicken suit
>Medal for turning off a searchlight, then turning it back on again

A good half of the medals were BS in this game and were practically made to be spoiled online just to find.
>>
>>336129880
>A good game, but still overhyped and inferior to its predecessor
I agree.
>>
>>336130643
>that medal in corneria where you need to go into D-Walker mode into one of the spiders' boxes

I would have never guessed that one by myself.
>>
>>336130643
Yeah I looked up a good chunk of them. Probably could have found them after hours of trial and error, but I didn't want to bother after having already played the level 3+ times.
>>
>>336130643
I'm not far yet, but that "walking in a specifit spot" medal in level 1 was such bullshit

I actually looked in those containers to see if a medal is in there, and it wasnt.
But I have to actually walk in it for it to show up? That's just retarded.

>>336130793
I dont know why you had to dumb down what I said.
>>
>>336130918
I was talking about Fortuna actually. Most of the level is on-rails, and you have to run on one spot that doesn't look special in the slightest before the invisible medal just appears out of nowhere.
>>
>>336128642
Yeah, its a weird level with flowers and creatures and little pollen specks in the atmosphere.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-8Dj0KerQg
>>
>>336131082
Then in Star Fox 2 they basically turn it into Aquas with nice orchestral music
>>
>tfw Star Fox music no longer has synthesizers, guitar riffs and orchestral stabs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsOEGPLa1Z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_79kLdysoI
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.