[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm getting anxiety attacks over the last weeks. The last
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: gamedev.png (233 KB, 465x465) Image search: [Google]
gamedev.png
233 KB, 465x465
I'm getting anxiety attacks over the last weeks. The last two years i've dedicated to making a game based off Risk and tactical RPGs, such as Final Fantasy. Think of Planetside 2's real-time region controls, but instead of an FPS, people fight on turn-based tactical battles.

Now, the problem with that, is that i've invested nearly all the money i've saved over the three previous years from development. Add that to the fact that my schedule is late as fuck; we've tried to make it through March, but we've arrived in May, yet there's no sign that our build is safe enough for public access.

To add salt to the wound, the project needs a (successful) crowdfunding campaign to fund it to it's entirety. If it fails, I'll have to go back to white-collar work and setting the project as a sidething.

I don't even know why I'm writing this here. It's not out necessity for sympathy nor marketing, I have no intention of releasing the game's name. I just wanted to know that it's fucking hard to be successful in something you like, because people will always shit on you, no matter how hard you try. Anyways, wish me luck if you want better game quality in your lifetime.
>>
Herro reddit
>>
>>335887360
Is there any way I can help out? I'm a sound and music guy and got some indie projects under my belt. We can talk, if you're interested.

Anyway, persistence and improvement is key. If someone shits on the thing you're working on, try harder to impress them. Stay focused, anon.
>>
>>335890328
I'd be glad to have more musics in my belt, more is never enough. But to be honest, this is the only part of the game where we're 100% done. If you'd like to show me any of your work, i'll contact you and we can sort something out.

I think it's more of the uncertainty that's killing me than knowing if it's bad or good. There'll always be haters around, that's a given. The problem is when you've spent so long doing something that you lose track of how you got there, or if it's even worth pursuing it anymore.
>>
>>335887360
>Anyways, wish me luck if you want better game quality in your lifetime
if you're struggling this hard and trying to run a crowdfunding campaign your game is going to be mediocre at best, really good games never come from stressful rushed development cycles
>>
>>335890793
I'm going to deliver a campaign with a day 1 playable demo. This is far from rushed. There's enough material to start the campaign as it is; i'm pushing it exactly to fight rushing. There's a lot to be done in refining to make the demo at least playable in a fun state. The struggle is not to be mediocre, but to provide excellence. And the stressing is not from the process itself, but from the uncertainty coupled with external factors not derived from it.
>>
Based on how you described it, it genuinely sounds like a very uninteresting game.
>>
>>335891009
Day 1 free downloadable demo*. You wanna test the game, you can download it for free and play it with other people to test it out.
>>
>>335891009
have you considered that kickstarters do better if you dont give out a playable demo?
>>
>>335891108
I've done my best to over-simplify it in a few sentences. You can claim at least it's unique on it's own. How many turn-based tactic/grand strategy MMO games you see around?
>>
>>335891143
Do you have a source? I'm geniuely interested in knowing more about this. My assumption was that a Kickstarter with a demo at least shows the developers have commited to a certain stage of development so far.
>>
>>335891201
None, because it's a silly idea. The reason it's a novelty in Planetside is BECAUSE it's an FPS and you're not used to seeing that kind of scale. What you've done is just create a grand strategy game with more hoops to jump through.
>>
>>335891251
Kickstarters are a marketing campaign. You're thinking about it honestly and idealistically, but the truth is the average backer knows very little about development, and releasing a playable build actually diffuses hype. It decreases peoples desire for the game (because they've already played it) when you want to be increasing their desire. The best things are trailers, details, promises, things like that. Marketing your game isn't so much about giving people what they want, but making them want something. A playable demo is only going to work if the demo is really small and your game is really good.
>>
>>335891401
Ok, so it's a novelty in Planeside 2 because we're not used to see this kind of scale in FPS games, but it's not in grand strategy games, even though we never had this kind of scale in any grand strategy game.
>>
File: 1360863227205.jpg (9 KB, 251x217) Image search: [Google]
1360863227205.jpg
9 KB, 251x217
>>335890653
Sure thing, feel free to send me a mail or PM me on Steam: https://soundcloud.com/muffswag

I know it's difficult to take a step back and look at your work in an unbiased neutral way. It happens to all "creators".

Just ask yourself the right questions once you get to a milestone:
>Is this something I would play personally and have fun with?
Then just go on from there...
>Why exactly is it not fun to play and what do I need to do to make it fun?
etc.
>>
>>335891516
I don't really see how more scale is anything grand strategy needed in the first place. Functionally it would make zero difference.
>>
>>335891917
How? You're one of the many battling for control and conquest of regions that influence the world. When you are on your own, you're battling AI. Coordinating attacks, raids and sweeps on enemy territory seems like the kind of fun I had in Planetside 2 transported to a more strategic environment that I'd enjoy to have, and that is the entire premise of the game.
>>
>>335892065
You realize most grand strategy games are already multiplayer, right?
>>
>>335892296
Yes. With a few dozen at most playing at the same time. I'm talking hundreds.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.