[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Decline of creativity in vidya
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1356236795419.png (2 MB, 1365x1195) Image search: [Google]
1356236795419.png
2 MB, 1365x1195
>>335784441

Nintendo's funny in the way that they don't want to "pick" a target audience.

They aim for the largest audience. Which basically encompasses young kids with middling standards and they'll occasionally throw a bone to the vets in the form of reoccuring elements, references, or something someone older than 30 can appreciate.

Just look at Smash bros for example, and the recent reboots like Wooly World and Star Fox Zero. They're essentially repackaging old ideas but throwing in enough similarities that older players won't feel completely alienated.

It's a nice idea but I really wish they got serious about their games the way they were during the N64 era.

The safetynet of "tried and true" ideas has become a hammock and Nintendo is going to run out of "nostalgia" one day if they can't rekindle that old fire.

No I'm not biased. If you play a 90's era Nintendo game such as Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, Super Mario World, DKC, you will FEEL the quality and effort that went into those games.

It's not nostalgia because you'll feel it even with games you missed completely.

Whatever restraints are hindering creativity need to be removed. At least one game per gen must be allowed to be developed in a way that doesn't rush/cut content for any reason.

Nintendo needs benchmarks of quality a la Rockstar manages to make. Nintendo has a lot more money that Rockstar, they can do it.
>>
Who are you quoting
>>
> MUH NOSTALGIA: the post
> MUH CHILDHOOD IS BETTER THAN YOUR
>>
>>335788196

>boy raised on mountain dew and Halo think he had a childhood

No son, you had an imitation childhood.

If you weren't alive for the double-barreled shotgun blast that was early vidya you've only experienced the dwindling echo of it.

Modern vidya is inseparable from normie tier "media entertainment" it exists soley for mass appeal like blockbuster movies. Calculated with tested marketing formulas, designed to build hype and ensure a "pre-order". The age of creativity and experimentation in the medium has all but passed.

Maybe VR and AR will open new doors, quite frankly it's the only hope we have left to see a spark of the same magnitude.
>>
>>335788196

In order to fix a problem you need to identify that it exists first.

Not everyone is happy with the direction of modern vidya.
>>
>>335788548

>Early vidya

Nigga I own an Atari and there's nothing particularly enthralling about the games for it, even back in the 80's I remember thinking it was lacking.

No nostalgia is superior to anybody else's, don't delude yourself
>>
This thread is bullshit. Tons of creativity in modern vidya, business practices are just shit. I'll reference Elite Dangerous, which gets panned for having nothing to do but also has a hell of a lot more content than the other Elites and feels like a true successor. They made a proper HD remake for an ancient space sim and made me feel nostalgic by playing it, that's crazy. Not an easy feat. its jaded to say interesting things aren't being released
>>
>>335787957
That's bullshit though. Nintendo's MO has always been to create new IPs entirely with fresh gameplay, then make more sequels to the games that sell well, with said gameplay. Not to mention they often shake things up with their own franchises and freshen them up more often than almost any other developer does.

Thing of every major video game franchise ever, now think of how altogether stagnant they are.

Yeah. At least Nintendo does try new things from time to time. Look at Super Mario Sunshine to the Galaxy games, to Super Mario 3D Land/World. Look at every 3D Zelda game, then ALBW.

Look at Paper Mario: TTYD to Super Paper Mario, to Sticker Star.

I love how overall, people's problems with Nintendo are that they simultaneously make the same dull games over and over again, yet at the same time, they change things too much. lol

>Just look at Smash bros for example, and the recent reboots like Wooly World and Star Fox Zero. They're essentially repackaging old ideas but throwing in enough similarities that older players won't feel completely alienated.
What is this even supposed to mean? Why would they change the gameplay of Smash when that is the entire draw to the game? Smash is pretty much the only thing out there that satisfies the niche that it itself carved out. What the fuck would be the point in changing it?

With Yoshi's Woolly World and SF0, people have been clamoring for new installments in those series that harked back to the most memorable and beloved installments in those series, Yoshi's Island and Star Fox 64, for awhile now.

Now don't get me wrong. Modern Nintendo is still retarded, but you also sometimes get a sense that people are going to hate on Nintendo no matter what they do, which to be fair, is basically correct. "Nintendo" is practically a dirty word these days.
>>
>>335787957
>"Nintendo is the only one who knows how to do videogames and everyone is trash"

I'm glad Nintendo is walking towards extinction.
>>
>>335787957
>Nintendo's funny in the way that they don't want to "pick" a target audience
With the Wii U they clearly targeted the Nintendo zealots.
>>
>>335789934

I 100% agree with this
>>
>>335787957
>No I'm not biased. If you play a 90's era Nintendo game such as Link to the Past, Yoshi's Island, Earthbound, Super Mario World, DKC, you will FEEL the quality and effort that went into those games.
>It's not nostalgia because you'll feel it even with games you missed completely.
Thing is, the amount of effort, creativity, and imagination that goes into Nintendo's games pretty much differs between each individual game, or whole series, even.

2D Mario is pretty same-y nowadays, let's be honest. There's no arguing that. 3D Mario is a little better. Lots of people will hate on SM3DL and 3DW, but a lot of people were finally happy to see 2D Mario 100% translated to 3D, myself included. And 3DW had plenty of inspiration in its level design.

With DKC, you have Returns and Tropical Freeze, both of which were arguably fantastic and had plenty of creativity in their inspired level designs.

Smash 4 may have mechanically been essentially the same game as the other three, but it's absolutely packed with content, par for the course with Sakurai's works. And then you have other games of his like Kid Icarus: Uprising, which have fresh, original gameplay in a lot of parts and definitely feel like the people behind it knew they were crafting something special.

People bitch and complain about Nintendo always aiming for the nostalgic crowd, but for better or worse, they always try to mix things up at least. Just look at Sticker Star or Star Fox Zero. Plenty of people complaining about those because they weren't 100% like older games.

(1/2)
>>
>>335791214
(2/2)

The problem with Nintendo isn't that they make sequels (hell if anything, they should be making more, actually trying to satisfy their hardcore fanbase), the problem is that they don't make too many fresh, new IPs anymore.

I think if you take a look at their history, generally speaking, they tend to innovate most when creating new franchises entirely, though with some exceptions, like Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, etc., which were always taking their established IPs and translating them to 3D anyway.

They basically need to make more games like Splatoon.
>>
>>335791214
>like sticker star or star fox zero
The complaints with those had nothing to do with them not being like the older games, anon. It was the fact that SF0 was clearly rushed for time (cutting out a lot of potential content) and SS was downright bad.
>>
>>335791529
There were a bunch of reasons why people complain(ed) about those games. A lot of those were probably really valid.

Neither of us are really wrong, aside from:
>The complaints with those had nothing to do with them not being like the older games, anon.
>>
>>335791529
The main complaint about zero are the motion controls, though.
>>
>>335789273
That's because the Atari and most proto-consoles were necessary shit-fests so that we could have the masterpieces that came after. Now we're in a blatant regression. But it's important to not forget all the shitty games that were around during the "golden age" of gaming. There will always be multitudes of shit with tiny gems hiding among the pile. This was unfortunate when you had to sift through the shit by hand but now with the internet we have a filter! LONG LIVE BIDEOGAMES
>>
>>335788548
This post is so reddit it gave me cancer.
>>
>>335787957
Nintendo just need to start making more games that have their own identity and feel like their own thing, instead of pandering to nostalgiafags, slapping a gimmick and calling it a day.

They should also stop being lazy.
>>
File: 1450273787000.jpg (341 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1450273787000.jpg
341 KB, 1024x768
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.