[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It seems my thread was prematurely deleted. There was some very
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3
File: mariolbp.jpg (201 KB, 629x399) Image search: [Google]
mariolbp.jpg
201 KB, 629x399
It seems my thread was prematurely deleted.
There was some very interesting discussion, and I thank those who participated in the previous thread.
Shall we continue?
Which of these, as games, is better at what and why?
Which of these, as community platforms, is better?
What is the value of Mario Maker in comparison to ROM hacks, and vice versa?
Also, what are some of your favorite levels from either of these or ROM hacks?
>>
>>335782000
>interesting discussion
You mean your regular everyday consolefangotry?
>>
>>335782152
Nope, there was none of that at all actually
>>
It was getting interesting right around the time the mods deleted it, but I guess if you just looked at the first couple replies you'd assume it was just spam. First two questions were answered in the previous thread, but...

>What is the value of Mario Maker in comparison to ROM hacks, and vice versa?
Mario Maker is way easier to access for people. It's a simple tool editor and way more convenient for people to create/play levels. On the other end, you can do so much more with ROM hacks. You can create one huge level with changing aesthetics, edit textures and enemies, create your own overworld map, create your own bosses, hell I've seen people program the long jump and walljump from Mario 64, along with implementing the barrels from DKC.

>Also, what are some of your favorite levels from either of these or ROM hacks?
/v/'s actually made a lot of awesome levels in Mario Maker. I wish everyone was as active as they used to be. Not sure how to pick a favorite, but I played a lot of people's campaigns. The Petey Piranha one in particular comes to mind. As for ROM hacks, Super Demo World - The Legend Continues is still my favorite rom hack. It's just so well done, and I feel that whether you're a veteran or someone who just barely finished Super Mario World for the first time you'd enjoy it. I've played a lot of Gamma V's hacks back in the day and had a blast with those too. Wish this laptop wasn't so shitty so I could play those again.
>>
Neither are good games. I'd say at least LBP gives you the tools the devs used to make levels with and has no physical DLC jewery. So I'd pick LBP, even though I wouldn't touch either game
>>
Mario Maker doesn't even come close to what you can do in LBP, how is this a contest?
>>
>>335784378
You can't even 99% of the actual levels in Mario Maker. Why are you pretending anyone expected to edit boss battles or made custom graphics?
>>
>>335785284
I've reread the first sentence over and over again and have no idea wtf you're trying to say, but for the second I never expected anyone to be able to edit boss battles or make custom graphics. OP asked what was the value of Mario Maker in comparison to ROM hacks and vice versa, and I answered that.
>>
>>335785776
recreate*
It's a meme shitposters often use to discredit Mario Maker. Fuck you Mario Maker is the greatest, and amiibo are optional. Don't like it? Don't buy it. They are just physicial overpriced DLC it's not as bad as EA or Activision lol
>>
File: moot tries some sour candy.jpg (72 KB, 662x593) Image search: [Google]
moot tries some sour candy.jpg
72 KB, 662x593
SMM is better than LBP 1 but 2 is better because it gives you tons of freedom to make different types of games and levels
>>
>>335785903
Gotcha, that and slopes. Even if you can't do everything in a romhack I still have a lot of fun with Mario Maker. Levels quickly get out of control 100MC Super Expert anyone?, it's convenient, and the content technically never ends as long as people are making levels.
>>
>>335786332
>>335785963
>actually falseflagging a falseflag
Jesus, the meta has gotten too deep, if you guys keep this up people might actually start believing Mario Maker is actually good lol
>>
>>335782000
A little bit off topic but the SMM threads here on /v/ have been really bad lately (people only shill their own levels and don't play yours, even if you play through like half of their levels, threads dying within minutes etc.). Is there another place on the net with a good community that is still active?
>>
>>335784674
Instead it just has actual dlc jewery that you can't unlock through the game.
>>
>>335789019
reddit. I don't shill there since I don't have an account, but I occasionally visit and play what they got there.
>>
Little big planet is lot more flexible and creative, but it's physics and system can't really do anything and it's just rag doll physics, which is the point I guess

Mario Maker is locked into just a 2D Platformer and nothing else, and doesn't have everything it should, but it does it very efficiently and tight and very formal with all styles having their original physics and mechanics and with the perfection of making a level so easily with the Gamepad

Both styles are fantastic and I used both to make my own fun levels
>>
>>335789090
>LBP
>DLC jewery
It literally lets you play the levels for free if someone else has the DLC.
>>
>>335789019
>>335789298
That has always been a thing because the people that make and want to play SMM levels are literal children.
>muh no one plays my level
get some fucking friends, and get some fucking quality standards, no one wants to play your shit because it's shit
>>
reminder that you could literally make platformer in RPG maker VX and it's better than SMM bullshit
>>
>>335790445
>people
>wanting quality
They paid 60 bucks to watch their favorite eceleb rage at their creation.
>>
>>335790547
i wouldnt be surprised if that were the case
nintenbabbies are literal teenagers after all.
>>
>>335790445
So do it.
>>
>>335790686
there are 20000 different platformers for you to play in DLsite anon
>>
>>335790783
Hell, if I had to make the choice, I'd rather replay smb1 for the umpteenth time.

But the thing is, I have a choice.
>>
I appreciate the excellent controlling in Mariomaker but I had more fun in LBP because of the really creative stuff some people put in their maps.

Also multiplayer aspect in LBP is great fun.
>>
Mario Maker has Babymetal.

I'm not even being ironic or shitposting, that alone makes the game better for me.
Also can't stand LBP's shitty physics, I wanted to like it because of the art style, but those controls, man.
>>
>>335791372
reminder you could make a platformer with babymetal skin in RPG maker VX
>>
>>335791372
>defending MM's physics
>defending product placement
>>
>>335792107
>greentexting
>>
>>335792354
>unironically defending MM's physics
>unironically defending product placement
>>
>>335791071
Every aspect of LBP online multiplayer has reinforced the notion of why it really doesn't work that well in the genre. I seriously doubt it has stopped sucking due to the fundamental problems. That part of the multi is the opposite of fun.

Local multi is a different story though, and I liked that both in LBP and other Mario games.
>>
>>335793573

Wait, what's wrong with MM's physics? Last time I played it still had Super Mario World's trademark physics that let you throw objects upwards. Did they remove that or what?
>>
>>335782000
Repeating digits
>>
File: babymetal-and-slayer.jpg (37 KB, 599x399) Image search: [Google]
babymetal-and-slayer.jpg
37 KB, 599x399
>>335793573

You're just jelly because the Babymetaru aren't in your western-made pig games!
>>
>>335794127
>I have never played Mario World: the post

>>335794256
Not at all. I'm not missing out on anything.
>>
>>335784378
>>335782000
The appeal of Mario Maker is not the level creation itself but being able to share it and play other people's levels.

Something that ROMhacks don't allow you to do, at least on a large scale.
>>
>>335794552
>I have never played Mario World: the post

But I have... really, what's wrong with the physics? Maybe I missed on some detail or something. Either that, or they changed something from the last time I played.
>>
>>335794552

One of SMW's unique physics traits is being able to throw shells up, something that haven't returned in any other Mario game besides Mario Maker.
What are you even trying to argue? Or are you just shitposting for fun?
>>
>>335784378
>Super Demo World - The Legend Continues
Yikes, no thank you.
>>
>>335782000
LBP has a way better creation toolset but the physics are so ass nobody will ever actually play your levels.
That LBP is even a thing as a platformer with terrible platforming is a pretty good indicator of how well they nailed the creation stuff.
>>
>>335790179
LBP has DLC jewery though with costumes
>>
>>335794731
>maybe I'm missing something
Then you are missing a functioning brain.

>>335784378
>>335794897
Any of you played Mario Amazing Adventure Revitalized?

>>335794810
>shitpost
(you)

>>335795403
How is that jewery?
>>
>>335795637
No. That name sounds ridiculous though
>>
>>335790236
>That has always been a thing
It really hasn't, the earlier shill threads had people discussing levels posted and level creation tips
>>
>>335782000
>Which of these, as games, is better at what and why?
Assuming you're counting the most recent title in the series, LittleBigPlanet. LBP 2 & 3's level editor is deeper than Mario Maker could ever be. Although vanilla LBP1 and Mario Maker are tied.

>Which of these, as community platforms, is better?
Mario Maker. LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2 were extremely lively, but everything else has been dead on arrival.

>What is the value of Mario Maker in comparison to ROM hacks, and vice versa?
Mario Maker is more accessible, but less versatile than ROMhacks. And LittleBigPlanet is more versatile and easier to use than ROMhacks, but the community is dead.

>Also, what are some of your favorite levels from either of these or ROM hacks?
I don't have a specific favorite, but I love it when people make levels other than 2D platformers in LBP.
>>
>>335795146
Pretty much my view as well. Game plays like shit, but man those tools are still best in gaming.
>>
>>335789090
LBP has the best DLC racket of any game.
>Costumes are cheap, come with individual pieces to mix and match in your own creations
>Level packs are incredibly faithful to their source material and provide dozens of new materials, decorations, and stickers

And best of all

>For 4 games straight all DLC from the previous entries have been usable in new installments

If more games handled DLC like LBP I would buy more of it.
>>
>>335795637

>Then you are missing a functioning brain.

Why even the hostility? I'm not insulting you. It was an honest question.
>>
>>335796305
Not true.

>>335795805
The game is p.good, if you ignore the 2 toilet humour jokes that are in it, the game itself is really enjoyable.

>>335796729
I'm just informing you. No hostility towards you. No one in life chose their life. I don't fault you for your missing brain.
>>
>>335796563
Oh damn I forgot how the DLC worked that way, allowing you to use DLC from an earlier game.

Why don't more games do that? Especially seeing as they rarely, if ever, change the engine that drastically between sequels.
>>
>>335795637

People like you is what's wrong with /v/.
>>
>>335796729
Why do you even bother, he's just here to stir shit.
>>
If you had LBP's creation tools and Mario's physics it would be the best.
>>
>>335796972

He's probably a shitty person IRL too and still a virgin. People like him are not only what's wrong with /v/, but what's wrong in the world.
>>
>>335796972
>>335797164
?
>>
>>335782000
Define better. You can make way more advanced stuff in LittleBigPlanet than just sidescrolling, and crazy things via scripting.
>>
I've tried LBP many times and own two of the games. I just can't get past the floaty physics. It's alright having an amazing creation tool but if actually playing isn't fun then there isn't much point.

Haven't played Mario Maker personally, but if the physics and controls are same as regular Mario then it's probably at least more fun to play the levels.
>>
>>335798338
It's a shame people get so hung up on the physics, they're really not that bad and are perfectly serviceable for the type of game LBP was trying to be. It was never intended to be an action platformer, but rather a puzzle platformer with physics-based puzzle elements. Thankfully, with each installment the controls get tighter, at least marginally.

They even added Oddsock in the third game for people who like their platformers to be faster paced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5e1kremL2Y
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.