[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any older gamers (25+) just feel like they can't game the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6
File: image.gif (1 MB, 320x234) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 320x234
Any older gamers (25+) just feel like they can't game the same way anymore?

I have no problem playing single player games - any genre - but I can't compete in any games anymore. I used to play in tournaments for FPS and was a high end PvE player/competitive PvPer in MMOs. I can't seem to adapt to games these days and it's actually causing me a lot of stress. I'm not stressed that I lose at games; I'm stressed that no matter how much time I spend on a multiplayer game I never seem to improve. Anyone else experience this or am I just a broken human?
>>
>>335775068
What games?
>>
>>335775610
I can't for the life of me git gud at any fighting games, except I am okay at Pokken.

I am fucking TERRIBLE at FPS games. I used to never go negative, now it is rare that I have a positive KDR. Halo and COD, which id like to play casually with friends, but it's not fun to suck.

I guess mainly shooters and fighters. There aren't too many other types of competitive games that come out. I've never been great at RTS so I'm not upset that I suck at StarCraft. MOBAS are fun but I don't play them much anymore.
>>
Turning 30 this year. I'm still good.
>>
>gamers
>>
>>335775927
How good is good? Also, do you work or have any other responsibilities? Do you play many games or just focus on one to two?
>>
I'm the opposite. I don't have the attention span to immerse myself in a single player game anymore. I get bored of a new game within minutes and think that I'm wasting time.
>>
File: 1461250283608.jpg (257 KB, 1276x716) Image search: [Google]
1461250283608.jpg
257 KB, 1276x716
>>335775068
Singleplayer games bore me and I generally play MP. Yeah my reactions are shittier, but I make up for it with prediction. Don't have time to compete much either, but I show up occasionally.

Play mostly fighting, fps, tps, and tbs. Finishing up being a purple faggot in Dark Souls with a lot of success, but the meta hasn't been established and no one is really trying.
>>
>>335775068
41 here.
Market's changed so much over the last 20 years. Games had big releases that were so sparse there was time tom play them all. Now every company thinks their stuff is premium, so they pad out their crap-ware and tack on season passes to dupe more money.

The market is over-saturated, playing it all can burn me out, so I pick a few and run with them.

The market wants you spending, get sucked into it and you might find it hard to stay committed for very long, but they have still got your money.
>>
>>335775068
Reaching 28.
I was always bad at games.
>>
>>335776286
I wasn't really counting Dark Souls types of games, but I don't have problems beating people in BB or DS; it's just not typical multiplayer. I'm more concerned about my lack of ability to improve I'm FPS and fighters, especially since in my youth I was so good with them. I mainly dropped both around my teens when I started playing more PC games.
>>
I had a feeling after a 2 year absence that I wouldn't be able to keep up with a game anymore. But I'm actually more focused and playing better than I have in a long (single-player games I mean) I don't have the patience for competitive multiplayer anymore. Niggas half my age out here training 6 hours a day and shit. Reflexes like a cheetah.
>>
>>335775068
24 here

I played compet alot when I was younger and I always seemed to do very well/win in the games I played.

So much so I became bored as I knew if I played online id just try hard enough to end up winning.

Now when I play online I cba with trying. I still do okay but never as well as I used to. Im happy wth the outcome though i do wonder how I would do now if I actualy tried like I used to.
>>
>>335775068
Growing up I've been losing motivation to play games for long periods of time. I end up getting tired and switching to dicking around in a multiplayer game or browsing /v/ or whatever. It's really depressing. Even games I really enjoy I can't seem to stick with.
>>
>>335775927

31 here.

Still good.
>>
>>335777313
How good is good?
>>
>>335775068
>thinking he can be good at vidya without being a NEET

kys pls
>>
>>335775068
25 here, just want to kill myself in general.

But yeah, I have like 30+ games going on that I want to finish, old and new, but I know I never will.

I just try to get to them, but it feels so pointless.
>>
>>335775817
30 something anon here, same. Frankly I'm at a point where whenever I see a youn'in trying to get in my face about competition I always say "jokes on you because you've been wasting time with someone that didn't care to start."

And honestly, it all boils to the enjoyment of the game. I can't "git gud" so what? Didn't care before given the lack of opportunities to give incentive to practice for such games (FPS, RTS, Fighting, et al), so why start now?
>>
I just turned 30. I can get pretty baller at most games if I practice. Prolly same with you, you are just a bit older now and probably have more responsibilities than some punk 17 year old who lives at home and can just play vidya for hours and hours
>>
>>335777948
>"jokes on you because you've been wasting time with someone that didn't care to start."

hahaha faggot
>>
>>335775068
I still love vidya but I've stopped caring about getting good at games, and often I don't finish them. But that's okay because I have the most fun this way.
>>
>>335775068
I just can't stand retards and children in online games. Seriously.
>>
>>335777173
I know that feeling man, it's like I have a plethora of games in my mind I'd love to play but devs just keep putting out shit, leaving me jumping from unfinished EA to another.
>>
I'm 32, introverted, with anxiety. I've never cared about playing competitively. What I have found though is that I'm finding it extremely difficult to will myself to play games that are longer than, say, 30 hours anymore.
>>
Dude, I have the same thing. I'm turning 30 this year and I am nowhere near the level of skill I had during my teen years.

Ofcourse, the biological factor is that with age come diminishing reflexes.

Aside from that, I have less time to practice. I have responsibilites and a job now. If I have 1 hour to game in a weekday, it's a lot.

But that's not all. When I come home from work I'm genral;ly tired from working all day, so that makes me perform worse too.

I would get hung up about it, but then I think about all that sweet money I'm making and smile.

Just consider yourself retired and fire up comfy games or lower the difficulty setting, OP. You don't have to always be at the cutting edge of performance. You can;t always be at you apex. That's why it's called the apex, after all.
>>
>>335778227
I think part of my problem is that I do buy a lot of games each year and spread myself thin across them. But it doesn't mean I don't put a lot of time and effort into each of them. When I was young and competitive I only ever got to play one game at a time, sometimes for months or a year, but it was able to hold my interest that whole time.
>>
28 here, skill level is still high and has actually improved statistically by %3 accuracy wise over the last 2 years on casual play.

Do yourself a favour and get a fightstick for your fighters, never play a Moba, and just pick up any FPS you want but always be constructive. Way too easy to cruise but when you don't play with anyone need to set yourself some goals, like camping spots, figure out the games unbalanced ticks, abuse the small advantages a game offers.
Always something to do while you game, if you get bored of your goal change it up by using a class you're weak at and move differently, same mentality applies to fighters whenever you pick a new character, you never use your same mentality / style or timings for too long, just rely on split decision choices and instinct off calculated prep.
Kids are brainless in fps, it's easy to go 10:1 ratios at my current age than when I was younger.
>>
>>335775068
Total opposite for me, OP.

I just turned 30, and I've never been better. New job offers more time to play and practice, better equipment, better diet, better outlook on life - learning from my failures and gettin gud with practice techniques to improve my finger dexterity and coordination.

You may just be out of practice or have a bad gaming setup. I used to be merely okay at FPS games until I bought a decent optical mouse and upgraded to a good enough GPU to allow a framerate of 60+ in anything recent. Practicing with high sensitivity aiming settings coupled with a very predictable controller and smooth visual feedback has made favorable KDR a regular thing for me.
>>
28 here

im playing way less game due to work, but now im way more skilled than before. just focus on few games. also i was huge on singleplayer games, now i cant stand them anymore if they are mediocre.
>>
>>335775068
I've seen this gif so many times. What exactly is the sauce of it anyway?
>>
>>335780663
Ken's Park or something.

It's kind of meh.
>>
>>335775068
Eh, it comes in waves. Sometimes I don't feel like playing SP for months. Now I've been playing STALKER for 5 days straight. Other times I don't play anything for weeks.
Regarding MP, I love RO2/RS and usually I'm doing either really bad or really well. Luckily it's not such a fast game. In fast skill-based games I get rekt like there's no tomorrow. But that's nothing new so I guess I'm just a shitter regardless of age.
26 by the way.
>>
>>335775068
nope 41 here and still doing it
>>
File: 2014-04-14-213813.jpg (102 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
2014-04-14-213813.jpg
102 KB, 960x544
I am 29 and I just play here and there. I like games that I can jump into. Been playing a lot of Sound Shapes recently and like 80's inspired arcade games like Geometry Wars or TxK.
>>
30 here, the only thing I can do competently these days is raid in MMOs. Once I have something rote I can mechanically run through it with a fairly high level of skill, but anything that requires twitch reactions I am embarrassingly terrible at.
I did recently breeze through DkS3 but having played the series since DeS it was just more of the same muscle memory.

Are there any games for reaction-less faggots like me?
>>
>>335776082
What are you FBI?
>>
25, I feel like I'm better if anything. I play a lot smarter now. I'd probably get destroyed if I tried to get anything which relies heavily on twitch reflexes but the only thing I can think of which really does that is quake
>>
>>335775068

reaction time goes down with age, how much varies however, personally im fucked
went from ~150ms at 14 to ~300ms at 26, it's only visual though, ears are still ~150ms on audio tests.

The lesson might be rely on audio tells if you are older but first of test yourself.
>>
Eh, you wont always be good at a game. Also weird that i'm now considered an older gamer
>>
>>335775068
just turned 26 and i don't play much anymore. i'll play just about anything with anyone, but left to my own devices i just play dota when i can. without some kind of incentive, its hard for my to play single player games alone, and i really can't care about keeping up or new game hype anymore. i actually kinda hate it, but i tolerate it most of the time.
>>
mmo pvp = dead. csgo is fun. i still play league cause i've been playing for like 4-5 years or something and can basically play it on auto pilot.

i don't feel like my mechanics are dropping off but the amount of fucks i give is definitely a shit ton lower.

i do find myself enjoying single player games a shit ton more now than im old. whereas before i wouldnt even touch one.
>>
>>335788323
also playing with a bunch of kids is okay i guess but i can't relate to these fucking kids man. these 17/18/19/20 year olds are fucking retarded. get off my lawn or whatever. i do have fun playing csgo. seems like the people that play it are more my style of retard.
>>
Yup. I haven't played a single player game that wasn't Animal Crossing in years, and even then I only play AC because I feel fucking guilted into it and that works heavily on me. I guess I played Undertale along with some friends, but we swapped controllers when we died (they refused to use keyboards..fml) so I don't really count it properly.

I've been hit hard with depression the past few months and it really hasn't gotten better. Had a mental breakdown. I've literally only been able to play League of Legends and even then I can't muster half the effort I used to put in. I've been on sick leave from my job for a week due to stress and high blood-pressure and I'm wondering if it's just gonna go downhill from here. I am only 26, yet I feel aged and old already. I have no education, but I've never been able to find something I enjoy doing. Not even games truly, I enjoy playing them but doing it for a long time makes me exhausted. I'm also getting tested for that exhaustion syndrome among other things.

No idea what I'm going to do with myself, I guess games just don't feel as good anymore.

At least I have TV.
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 165x148) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 165x148
>>335775068
Play older games,reroot the skill tree
>>
File: 1456573542136.jpg (76 KB, 640x698) Image search: [Google]
1456573542136.jpg
76 KB, 640x698
I don't really have interest in competitive multiplayer and can't seem to get into any for the life of me. It sucks because I'm somewhat intrigued by fighting games which I don't really play, like KOF XIV actually looks promising but I don't think I'd play a lot of it if I do get it.

Even from a solo/co-op POV I'd like to get good at Monster Hunter but man, soloing even the multiplayer stuff, especially with the fucking elder dragon fights that go on forever? I don't think the Lone Hunta life would be for me, but I'll probably be forced to for some of the games. As of now G-Rank monsters solo can kick my ass even with what is practically G-Special shit.
>>
>>335775951
Yes, some of us actually play games, I know it's a foreign concept to you.
>>
Last game I truly loved was Witcher 3.

I have no interest in games that are set in real world, realistic settings anymore.

I need something either heavily fantastical or science fiction to achieve my escapist desires. Nothing else holds my interest. I dislike GTA for this reason.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.