[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People lately shit on open-world games alot, and i agree with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: openworld done right imo.jpg (175 KB, 626x390) Image search: [Google]
openworld done right imo.jpg
175 KB, 626x390
People lately shit on open-world games alot, and i agree with that. But what are some examples of good open world games? What is needed to make good sandbox? share your thoughts.
>>
For me, you just need to make fast travel extremely convenient.

I loved Xenoblade X because you had a map on the gamepad and literally just needed to tap it a few times to go almost any where, with super fast loading times.

If fast travel isn't THAT convenient, I'm going to complain about the game's open world. If I have to go to a certain place, or the game imposes retarded rules like "you have to be in the wilderness and set up a campfire" or "you have to be in the city and hail a cab and pay money" or "you have to get off your horse to pull out an instrument and play a song" in order to fast travel, then I'll just drop that shit nowadays, I don't have time for that anymore.
>>
>>335042368
It needs to have a varied enviroment and it needs to feel alive and like there is a lot to do. There are so many examples of games that just feel empty like witcher 3 and others that spent so much time building this beautiful world that they forgot to populate it with anything to do. An open world game has to be more polished and have more content than the average game or else it just feels like an empty disjointed mess
>>
>>335042368
Interesting and varied environments with a wide range of enemy types and things to find.
>>
Gear being more than upgrades.

Multiplayer.

Duh.
>>
>>335042368
>shit on open-world games alot, and i agree with that.
Why are you retarded?

The argument usually boils down to this "bad example of an open world is bad therefor all open worlds are bad".

No game structure is inherently good or bad and there are positive and negative examples for all. Basically anything by Ubisoft being a strong case for Open World being shit just as any modern military shooter's single player for linear cinematic set pieces being shit.
>>
>>335043889
I meant to say that most recent openworld games are bad, not that genre as whole is bad.
>>
>>335042368
Xenoblade X

Though it needs some polish, it's pretty good seeing as it's the developers first HD title.

Wanna see what Monolith makes next.
>>
File: 1442815623434.jpg (27 KB, 348x342) Image search: [Google]
1442815623434.jpg
27 KB, 348x342
What makes collectibles in open world games fun or not fun?
>>
>>335044379

Collecitbles are fun if they're meaningfull. Collecting flags and shit is just dumb but I'll hunt down any letters, bookms and other flavor collectibles like my dick was on fire and they were a fire hydrant.
>>
>>335044379

When you have GIANT open worlds they just aren't fun. It's retarded when you have 100 small items hidden across 2000 square miles of landscape. The game needs to keep extremely good cataloguing to make that realistic instead of just forcing people to look up guides. Like if they divide the map into tons of smaller sectors and the game tells you how many collectibles are left to collect in that sector
>>
>>335044379
Their utility. For example if a game offers collectibles but they are worthless shit don't do anything in return then they are not fun to collect. But for games like DKC where collectibles open new levels then yea they are fun. Or also in a game like AC4 where the shanties are collectible.
>>
>>335044379
Collectibles should have some reason behind them like bits of back story or some exclusive upgrades. Or even just small flavor text. And for fuck sake dont trash game with 34534534543 flags or coins every 5 meters, less is more.
>>
>>335042368
>But what are some examples of good open world games?
Gothic
>>
>>335044379
Something I think that would make them good, but I don't really have an exact example of off the top of my head, is to have a very small number of collectibles, and then having clues and things to find them.

The closest I've gotten is hunting down the artifacts in Morrowind, though I don't know if those have clues or not.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.