[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1v1 Competitive Games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Video-game-tournament.jpg (90 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
Video-game-tournament.jpg
90 KB, 1200x800
What 1v1 competitive video game has the highest skill ceiling and technicality inovolved?
Is it Quake?
>>
Dark souls
>>
sc:bw
>>
That's a difficult question to answer. Even a game like rock-paper-scissors has an unthinkably high skill ceiling (perfect play would require full brain simulation of your opponent). Indeed, a lot of video games run into diminishing returns very quickly and no matter how high the actual skill ceiling was, as far as human players are concerned, top players ultimately seem quite similar.

Anyway, Brood War is often mentioned as the "highest skill ceiling" competitive game and I think it's a good pick. The actual skill ceiling is a weird concept like I said, but even at top levels of human play you can encounter strategical novelties and see clear categorical differences in mechanical skill between the players, and it's not at all difficult to see what even superhuman level of play would be like (particularly in terms of micro) and it'd again be completely different rather than merely a question of doing a task 1ms faster or making the correct decision 1% more often.
>>
>>334805667
Melee
>>
>>334805667
KOF XIII
>>
>>334807917
>XIII
>>
File: image.jpg (6 KB, 80x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
6 KB, 80x200
>>334805667
>>
>>334807796
>all that waffling
are you trying to fill up time for a highschool debate?
>>
>>334808938
I'm just autistic and uncomfortable answering such an unspecific question.

Besides, I did at least provide a serious answer.
>>
>>334805667
Melee
>>
>>334805667
>FPS with a mouse
>literally see enemy, click enemy gameplay
>high speed clicking
>digital whack-a-mole
>requiring skills
Man, PC shitters are always so delusional
>>
>>334805667
The highest competitive genre is MOBA, while the highest single playing genre is fighters.
>>
>>334811061
thanks for enabling the death of quake and rise of cod and csgo
>>
>>334805667
virtua fighter series
>>
>>334811287
Thank goodness. Twitch shooters are shit.
>>
Smash Bros Melee or Starcraft
>>
>>334811143
he's talking about specific games, not genres.
>>
>>334812071
Ultra Street Fighter 4.
>>
>>334811469
every shooter is technically a twitch shooter then, what matters is how the combat is done. The new UT makes you learn the power up and use the sliding/parkor moves to dodge.
>>
>>334813178
Nope, with the advent of ADS, people were rewarded by playing more strategic from mid-far range, eliminating see first, shoot fist mentality of twitch shooters.
>>
Kissy Poo
>>
>>334805667
in their respective genres
quake (cpma in particular)
brood war
street fighter i guess but i don't know much about fightans
trackmania
>>
>>334805667
I would of said Brood War as accumulation of skill can keep you at the top without random game factors, but Quake and certain fighters definitely rank at top.
>>
>>334805667
Video poker is definitely a top contender

Mastering the art of not throwing is a lot harder than people think it is
>>
>>334805667
>skill ceiling
I hate that buzzword.
>>
>>334814151
>video poker
why not online chess then?
>>
>>334808938
And ofc there is one little fag that goes and complains about a decent quality post. This is such a shitty board
>>
>>334814273
buzzword is a buzzword
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.