[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What killed MMOs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 1249132258513.jpg (359 KB, 1729x1500) Image search: [Google]
1249132258513.jpg
359 KB, 1729x1500
What killed MMOs?
>>
>>334661436
the players
blizzard
the jews from hollywood that went to the gaming industry.
>>
Lack of innovation.
>>
>>334661436
Nothing killed MMOs, but they aren't as crowded as they used to be

>grind hours and hours because the game doens't offer a lot of content for low levels
>a lot of p2p or p2rush (wich we can't blame them for because they want to make money)
>since it's all about grinding you have to keep doing 1 mundane thing and then once you are done with it, move to the next instead of multitasking

it's all about the grind now, the only game i can think that has a lot of singleplayer and low-level content aviable for the player is Runescape
>>
People saw WoW make millions and thought
>how can I cannabalise WoW's playerbase?
instead of
>how can I make a game as good as WoW?

Now every game is a bland WoWclone despite the market constantly crying out for multiple smaller, but well-supported niche MMOs
>>
At least one of the 4 posts above me is a samefag.
>>334662950
This is the correct answer, though.
/thread
>>
Basing the game off of a grinding system. Fuck that
>>
>>334661436
F2P

Because it a matter of whether or not you can play iit's a matter of the moment you start playing, the more you see the company starting to block almost all there good features behind paywalls
>>
File: rs.png (139 KB, 480x222) Image search: [Google]
rs.png
139 KB, 480x222
One of the only games that does what other MMOs fail at, multiple ways of building your character and making money, content even for low levels, high number of quests, good in-game lore, no P2Win bullshit (Although you have to pay to be a member you can still grind in game money to buy a bond)

Also one thing this game has is IDENTITY, wich is lacking in almost all MMOs out there now

If you think you have to grind every single skill to 99 then you are not playing the game right
>>
>>334663297
*it's not
>>
Few reasons.

It's difficult for players that are already playing MMOs to switch to another one. Chances are, if they're that invested in their MMO, they won't stop playing until the MMO dies.

Players who quit their MMOs will try your MMO, only to realize it's the same shit in a new paint. They'll likely quit after a month or two.

MMOs are also expensive to develop and publishers are pushing to get their money's worth, so they'll either make your game into a P2P model which attracts less people or alternatively have really jewish cash-shops.

And the reason why a lot of MMOs are kind of similar and follow's WoW's gameplay is because for one, latency isn't much of an issue, so if you're managing a huge server, precise latency can be an issue. WoW doesn't require really low ping, so it's easier to manage. BUt the thing is, if you make a WoW-like MMO, you're not gonna get that many players unless you have a cool gimmick. As much shit as WoW gets, it's a lot more polished than any other MMO on the market.

And this is more of my personal views, but MMOs stop becoming as interesting once the "mystery" died. When you've explored and done everything in one MMO, you've already seen it all. I've already played through WoW up until Wrath, what new things can these other hotkey MMOs provide? Nothing really other than shinier graphics and a gimmick or two.

And I think players are becoming more anti-social and treating everything as a methodical grind due to the abundance of information for everything in a MMO. You don't even have to talk to players in most MMOs now, you just click the dungeon finder and do the dungeon, occasionally say a few commands or yes and no, and then you finish it, and you re-do the dungeon for the grind.

I don't think MMOs are dead and I don't want them to die, but there really isn't anything interesting on the market that can get a huge amount of attention. Every MMO will attract it's own niche audience but they won't grow much beyond that.
>>
I'm thinking about trying out Black Desert.
>>
Anons might laugh, but you know what MMO did a really good job at not being so grindy and having a lot of content?

Neopets
Think about it, most content in the game had timers, therefore you had to stop at certain points, the game certainly didn't want you to grind anything at least not for hours and hours. They made you move from place in order to get stuff and if you wanted Neopoints you needed to play different games each day

I think this MMO back in the day was great, now is a trainwreck but i remember having a lot of fun exploring the world with my mascot and seeing what i could find
>>
File: FFXI Mithra (18).jpg (212 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
FFXI Mithra (18).jpg
212 KB, 800x800
I feel like this is going to turn into an FFXI thread, and I love night time XI threads, so I'll stick around.

But honestly, WoW / Blizzard killed MMOs they completely changed how MMOs were played. Sure it brought in a literally massive number of people to play, but in doing so kind of killed other MMOs and made any future MMOs afraid to go back to what old MMOs were, or even afraid to try new things. All MMOs now have instances out the ass. The worlds are glorified matchmaking lobbies. I miss the days of the old MMO like XI. But I dont see them returning any time soon.
>>
>>334664454
You know what else had timers for stuff like EXP? Dungeon Fighter Online and Final Fantasy XIV (4.0).
>>
>>334661436
Them making wow clone and not realizing the long run is due to subscribers falling for the sunk cost fallacy. MMOs are long dead.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.