[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which was the better game? reposting with different OP image
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: PhotoGrid_1460921332335.jpg (2 MB, 3416x1920) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1460921332335.jpg
2 MB, 3416x1920
Which was the better game?

reposting with different OP image since last thread got overran with meme spoutters and fa/tv/irgins
>>
>>334618629
Both are really good. I'm a big fan of Mecha though so I would rank Xenogears higher than FF7.
>>
>>334618629
If you're going to try to be objective about FF7, it's just a more solid game, the RPG doesn't completely fall apart half way through, it has a higher budget and with that came a lot more polish.

Xenogears is a more interesting game, and the combat system is more unique and engaging, the setting and the giant robots are great, it just has more going on than FF7 and in that way I can totally understand liking it more, hell I like Xenogears a hell of a lot more than I like FF7 but you have to take into account the game's glaring flaws. Xenogears has really shitty game balance and like most of the party members being shit because of a low agility stat, that second disc where the game becomes a VN, or that insanely high encounter rate.
>>
>>334618629
>Which was the better game?

The one that wasn't rushed.
>>
>>334618629
FF7 is objectively a better game.

But Xenogears has some real love put into it and tried to be something most video games never even aspire to. It wasn't successful but I appreciate it much more for trying.
>>
>>334622079
Neither of them was rushed.

One got a nearly unlimited budget and pulled talent from all over square.

The other was an overly ambitious game that was poorly managed.
>>
>>334618629
I really need to play Xenogears.

My neighbor had it, and I remember borrowing it for a little while, but I didn't get very far.

From what I played of it, it seemed rather interesting.
>>
>>334622349
>FF7 is objectively a better game.
Subjective opinion.
>>
>>334622349

>FF7 is objectively a better game.
>objectively

Americlaps are astonishingly retarded.
>>
>>334618629
I'd say they're on par. Xenogears is more pretentious by some, but that's because it takes some heavy subject matter from the very beginning and makes it clear what it wants to do with it. FF7 also has philosophical undertones, and goes 'deep' with the themes of identity and self-identification without it being the main story like it almost is in Xenogears.
FF7 is more subtle but every bit as interesting as Xenogears on a character development level.

I definitely prefer the Xenogears combat over FF7, it's a bit more streamlined in that regard too. Very simple technical stuff; dungeon layouts too, especially inventory management, etc. It's just a lot easier to micro-manage and enjoy the story bits of it.

>>334622520
Actually it's universally acclaimed and praised for the past 20 years. Xenogears isn't. I prefer Xenogears in some regards myself, but to say that FF7 isn't objectively a better ggame is kind of lying.

Much love to both games though.
>>
>>334622448
Good lore, bad plot. Oh, and CD 2
>>
>>334622745
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
Try again.
>>
>>334618629
FF7 by a landslide.
>>
>>334622713
>>334622520

Like I said, I like gears more. Its something I think every jrpg fan should experience just to see what they were trying to pull off. But as much as I like it, I don't really think its a very good video game.
>>
>>334623103
> I don't really think
Subjective opinion.
>>
>>334623103
I got really bored. You know what's worse than long cinematics in videogames? Long cutscenes. There was one time when I spent more than 20 minutes skipping through meaningless dialogues. I didn't finished the game, but I'm sure that I experienced 70% dialogues and 30% gameplay.
>>
>>334622989
Nice meme rhetoric there pal, too bad that every reviewer ever disagrees with you. Both games are very good in their way(both got greatest hits re-releases anyways in the US, that much is proof of how good they are), but there's a reason Final Fantasy 7 is heralded the way it is, and Xenogears is not.
>>
>>334623416
That applies to both of these games.
>>
>>334622079
Xenogears wasn't rushed, it had its budget stolen at knife point by FF8.
>>
>>334623479
>every reviewer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority
Got anymore?
>>
FFVII was entertaining all the way through. It's overrated but I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Xenogears is the worst JRPG I've ever played. I ignore the obvious shovelware, if you're wondering how that is possible. Couldn't even make it 10 hours into Xenogears. Awful, slow gameplay and the most dry story and setting I've ever experience in a JRPG. I'm convinced that liking it is a meme.
>>
>>334623627
Not true at all, Xenogears budget remained the same the whole way through its development. Takahashi failed to manage the project effectively and was far too optimistic about what his team could make given their time and budget.
>>
>>334623752
>Couldn't even make it 10 hours into Xenogears
>I'm convinced that liking it is a meme

I hate saying this since its a bullshit argument but Gears is the posterchild for games that only gets good after you've played it a few dozen hours. The game is loved largely because of how insane the story and world building are, none of which comes to light much later in the game.
>>
Xenogears was quite shit. I remember speeding up the game when I was emulating it. Even after 30 minutes of reading, those long, drawn-out dialogue scenes were still going on.
>>
>>334624413
Good thing you never made it to the second disc. Game literally turns into a VN.
>>
>>334623752
>I'm convinced that liking it is a meme.
I dunno I feel the same way about FFVII, even trying on 3 different occasions I couldn't push myself through 8 hours of FFVII, I don't know why but the game is a near opposite of my idea of a fun game. There are just some games that don't click with us.
>>
I had more fun with Xenogears, but FF7 is the better game.
>>
b-bump
>>
>>334626835
I even tried starting an argument with hot opinions, there is no hope.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.