[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is there such a low population online for UT4? Is this something
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: Unreal_Tournament_4.jpg (144 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Unreal_Tournament_4.jpg
144 KB, 1024x576
Why is there such a low population online for UT4?
Is this something all arena FPSs are suffering from or is it just UT?
>>
It's in pre-alpha
It's getting zero publicity
It's not Call of Duty or Halo
It's community driven and the community does nothing to promote it
Most people download it, see the placeholder textures and say they'll hold off until the game is finished
>>
As you can tell from this thread's popularity, there's no interest in arena shooters anymore, other than the odd Quake/Unreal thread on /vr/.
>>
As far as other arena shooters go, Xonotic, Sauerbraten, Cube, Warsow, Nexuiz, Toxikk are all Q/UT clones at best and they're completely dead online. You're better off playing UT2004, UT, Q3 or QL than those cheap chinese knockoffs with dead multiplayer.

Ultimately UT4 is just a publicity stunt and technology showcase for Epic Games and they make no money on it, so it doesn't matter to them whether it lives or dies. The community itself is extremely splintered and there's no consensus about the game's direction. The UT99 fags seem to be the most vocal group, so the new UT is shaping up to be a UT99 with a new coat of paint, except that's already been done back in UT2004 times - google UTR, Unreal Tournament Revolution or UT2341 - it was basically UT99 remade as a UT2004 mod and it had very limited popularity online.
>>
>>334373304
To be fair I only posted it ~4 minutes ago

>>334373160
>It's community driven and the community does nothing to promote it
True. I used to be a big fan of UT2K4, yet I had no idea UT4 existed until I stumbled upon it while looking at videos of Unreal Engine 4.
It's sad really, how some games seem to be surrounded by droves of people who won't shut the fuck up about it, while other quality games seem to be forgotten.

That being said, I can understand why the mod community isin't as strong as it used to be. I doubt that there's any modders out there who can create content that even compares to the developer content in terms of visual quality.
This wasn't as much of a problem back in the day I suppose.
>>
File: arena shooters.jpg (255 KB, 1200x1145) Image search: [Google]
arena shooters.jpg
255 KB, 1200x1145
>>
>>334373685
Didnt UT2K4 have a shitload of mutators that made it just like UT99 anyway? What's the sense

>Ultimately UT4 is just a publicity stunt and technology showcase for Epic Games and they make no money on it
They've done enough showcases of their engine, and there's already popular games that use UE4 (Kingdom Hearts 3 uses it iirc).

I think this was Epic's attempt to do something along the lines of Quake Live or TF2. Attract people with the fact that it's free, then offer maps, cosmetic items at a price to establish a market.
>>
>>334372994

The problem is UT4 playing off as some bloodsport of the future that winds up into a series of TDM and FFAs, basically Battle Royale.
So drop Assault, drop Onslaught and what do you get? Oh right FPS shooter #1659

UT4 is dead as fuck not only because it's so undercooked, but because it focuses primarily on the worst game modes for it because it's simpler.

Also UE4 is good for looking great, but absolutely terrible at responsiveness.
>>
>>334372994
>UT4

Just call it UT 2015.
>>
>>334374356

Y'know their blueprints feature could be a good way to massively improve assault.
Single map with a specific objective, but with a dozen or so unique non-linear ways to attack it instead of corridor meat grinders.
>>
>>334374356
It's been stated that they're not going to touch AS, ONS, BR and vehicles until the core gameplay is rock solid and polished, so the focus is on T/DM for now, with some rudimentary support for CTF, but that policy is definitely going to turn many players off, considering how immensely popular ONS used to be in 2k4.
>>
>>334374492
The official name is just Unreal Tournament, in line with the recent wave of reboots of classic series.
>>
>>334372994

>developer just farts and shits out the alpha of a game, practically hanging out of their asshole
>go go pls develop the game for us! isnt this all you ever wanted? make games that we can monetize later?
>dev climbs back into their asses and disappears
>game goes nowhere

They once again thought that there is an overlap between the easily influenced stupid ass consumers - and the content creators.
>>
>>334374824

Which is why nobody will call it that because unlike the 12 year olds who are aimed at by these reboots, we need to be able to tell apart which UT we are talking about.
>>
>>334374851

Making content isn't hard, and sadly it shows. Epic has a team, not everyone, working on UT and they waste practically DAYS worth of development setting up weekly streams just to talk about art and maps people are making - the things nobody really gives a shit about like any other AAA banging on about story. It does nothing for the actual core gameplay and development.

Likewise Epic also have like four other teams working on other Early Access games that are all bombing hard as fuck because of their lack of drive, like Paragon and Fortnite.
>>
File: 1460045309690.png (418 KB, 721x723) Image search: [Google]
1460045309690.png
418 KB, 721x723
>>334374147
>>
>>334374492
it came out in 2014 though

>>334374356
>Oh right FPS shooter #1659
I wouldn't go that far imo. It has some pretty unique and challenging weapons, and it puts a lot of emphasis on movement.
>because it focuses primarily on the worst game modes for it
This I can sort of agree with, but TDM and CTF are staples of the series though
>>
>>334374971
People have been calling the original game UT99 for over a decade now.
>>
>>334375079

Domination and Assault were way more memorable imo, and the main reason I played it way more than Quake.
>>
>zero promotion
>requires yet another program launcher
>absurdly incomplete, yet Epic is totally fine with allowing paid content
>>
>>334375110

Because differentiating was already hard with the other games.
Nobody will call this "UT" until its atleast as popular as one of the earlier ones
>>
For starters, it's centered around an AIDS launcher and not Steam.
>>
File: AS-Overlord.jpg (11 KB, 250x249) Image search: [Google]
AS-Overlord.jpg
11 KB, 250x249
>>334375139
>>334375079

You now hear the music
>>
>Absolutely no publicity
>Aboslutely not finished

I'ts not about it's an arena shooter, it's about no one giving a fuck, mainly Epic.

I loved 2004 so much.
>>
>>334372994
the only way to get lots of people playing is to hook them with a huge marketing campaign to get people playing day 1 then keep them playing only that game with more content and unlockable shit at least long enough to make the next game and sell it. Cod has been very good at this
never liked UT much but the finished stuff looks really great. The only multiplayer game i play these days is reflex i wish more people played it though
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.