[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do Morrowind and Oblivion compare to Skyrim? Are they worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
How do Morrowind and Oblivion compare to Skyrim? Are they worth playing in 2016?
>>
>>334368646
morrowind is far better, oblivion is pretty much the same shit as skyrim only uglier anda different gimmick
>>
Oblivion is a travesty of game design. Every single game mechanic is fundamentally broken in some way. Consider just level scaling alone: it means your character grows proportionally weaker as you gain levels. It fills the world with daedric armor-wearing bandits and 1000-HP mudcrabs. It makes all unique items gained from quests useless, as they also scale to your level at the moment you completed the quest. Just this one single mechanic irreversibly fucks up your character, the gameworld and the itemization.
Add to this dumbed down mechanics(AKA muh spears), Disneyworld game design, terrible console-first menu and inventory design, terrible quest design, terrible guilds(they're all just linear series of quests which can all be completed simultaneously, without any interplay between them, as in Morrowind), terrible stealth which makes you invisible to everyone simply by crouching in front of them, terrible dialogs, terrible character models, terrible lockpicking& persuasion minigames, terrible writing...
Pretty much one of the worst game of all time.

Also, let's dispel this notion that Oblivion quests are good. They are not good. 95% of them consist of running around in circles and hitting things with your sword. There would maybe be some exotic, terribly written reason for you to run in circles and hit things with your sword, which is apparently enough for neo-/v/ to proclaim these the best quests ever.
In fact, the only reason that the mediocre DB questline is so highly regarded is that it breaks the monotony of running in circles and hitting things with your sword. There's still no branching, no meaningful consequences, not a single skill or stat check in the entire questline- these are not good quests.
The only people who would find Oblivion better than Morrowind are the <20y.o. XBox kiddies who played Oblivion before they would know any better. It is the ultimate nostalgia-goggles game. And I'm not even particularly fond of Morrowind.
>>
>>334369438
>They are not good. 95% of them consist of running around in circles and hitting things with your sword. There would maybe be some exotic, terribly written reason for you to run in circles and hit things with your sword, which is apparently enough for neo-/v/ to proclaim these the best quests ever.

This

The only quests I can remember that weren't this were that Dreamworld quest where you had to solve all those puzzles to wake that guy up, some of the Dark Brotherhood quests, the Thieves Guild, and a few of the Daedric quests (most notably Sheogorath and Sanguine)

Even that quest where you have to retrieve that magical paintbrush was a linear corridor run as you kill a bunch of trolls
>>
>>334368646
Skyrim is shit so you don't have to be much better to beat it
>>
>>334368646
Morrowind aged like milk. Oblivion is playable only with essential mods (especially the one which fixes potato faces)
>>
>>334368646
Morrowind is the best of the series by far. The story is enveloping and the mechanics are superb.

It's basically a tabletop rpg in video game format. That can be either good or bad. As a D&D enthusiast, it is all I could ever want in a game. For the COD generation, it's just frustration in digital form. Attacks are based on probability that relies on your stats--there are no guaranteed hits-- and that fucks with people who are used to hitting on every strike.

The story of Morrowind is where it really shines though. It's as deep as you want it to be with tons of supplemental material to further your understanding in game. I've been playing since '02 and I learn something new about the world every time I play to this day.

Also, Morrowind's approach to the story is better. In Skyrim, you're the hero. There's no doubt. You eat fucking dragon souls and shit death. In Morrowind, there is uncertainty that you fulfill the prophecies and such. You have to earn it. In fact, at the end of the game I find there's some uncertainty of whether you were really born to fulfill the prophecies or if you are just some guy who just did all of those things and earned it. It's a much deeper game.
>>
>>334373345
rather, the uncertainty is whether you're born to fulfil the prophecies or if Azura is just fucking with you in order to overthrow the tribunal
>>
>>334373675
Fair point. I was trying to avoid spoilers with being vague.
>>
>>334373345
At the end is that it doesn't really matter.
The prophecies were made in such a way that if you actually managed to fulfill them all, you're practically no different from a reborn Nerevar, so you can be called that even if it was just a bunch of bullshit.
It ties to the concept of mantling but this is entering into Kirkbride and not strictly canon material.
>>
A good game doesn't suddenly become shit just because the industry has surpassed it. If you like ROG's its definitely worth playing through Morrowind. Oblivion is my favorite of the series because it was my first but I don't think its a must-play. Morrowind is a really engrossing game if you've got a better attention span than a goldfish and can figure out that combat is more than just mashing attack
>>
>>334369438

I can testify for the level scaling. Immediately after I got to the part where you open the gates in Kvatch, I went on my way doing side quests. When I came back, several hours later, the monsters on the other side of the gate were prohibitively strong.
>>
>>334373809
I think ascension is canon given that Tiber Septim did it. The question is whether or not one can mantle into being Nerevar. But you're right though because there's no net difference between being him and just being the guy who did all of the things he was destined to do.
>>
>>334370113
You do realize that the quests you admit to be good are the quests that are usually the ones everybody names when asked which quests are good, right?
The Fighter's Guild quests are rather dull
Mages Guild even worse
Everybody agrees the Main Quest is terrible
But which quests are considered good by many?
Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, some Shivering Isles quests and those Daedric quests

>>334368646
How do they compare?
Less streamlined, more open to game breaking shit, which is fun
To be able to actually play them nowadays you gotta spend an afternoon at least preparing your mods
>>
>>334373998

>Gotta spend an afternoon at least preparing your mods

Holy shit neo-/v/ everybody, can't just play a fucking game. How many of you faggots have ever played an RPG through to completion totally?
>>
>>334374243
>playing skyrim and oblivion unmodded
Way to hate yourself.
>>
>>334374387

I played them through when they came out unmodded and had a great time. are you incapable of just enjoying an older game?
>>
File: ruboto.jpg (6 KB, 190x266) Image search: [Google]
ruboto.jpg
6 KB, 190x266
>>334369438

>Also, lets dispel this notion that Oblivion quests are good.

Stopped reading right there. Nice try Marco.

Bait.
>>
>>334374243
I play them all through vanilla before I add anything. I fail to see how using MGSO ruins the experience though. Morrowind is a bit of an eyesore these days, so I like to make it look better. It's not essential to my playing experience, but when it's as easy as running one installer, why wouldn't I?
>>
>>334374496
You just have and/or had awful taste in videogames.
Oblivion was a piece of garbage and a step down from Morrowind in almost everything, and Skyrim the same.
>>
>>334374639

>Literally say play Morrowind and Oblivion was optional

Learn to read

>>334374606

This I'm more sympathetic to. The MUST BE MODDED OR ISNT GOOD mentality bothers me because I think it dilutes the experience for a newcomer. I throw on a better lighting and weather mod when I play too. I appreciate someone who can admit they're not necessary, but they are nice.
>>
>>334374838
From my first post I already said I was talking about Oblivion and Skyrim, not my business if you don't know how to read.
>>
>>334374991

Oh, yeah okay you might be right there, my mistake.

Play Morrowind you prepubescent fuck
>>
>>334374838
Then I agree with your point.

I'm curious. What are your feelings on Skywind?
>>
>>334375093

I would love to play an overhaul like that. Morrowind should get another official game made because its such a cool area, skywind looks like it will hold me over until the planets align or I reach Chim
>>
>>334375276
I've been following it with enthusiasm since it first spawned off of Morroblivion. Seeing it come to fruition warms my heart.
>>
>>334375093
>people are wasting their time porting Morrowind to an inferior engine instead of helping Tamriel Rebuilt or OpenMW
I can't put my anger into words.
>>
File: morrowind.webm (2 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
morrowind.webm
2 MB, 640x360
Skyrim is a nonstop action thrillride.

Morrowind is... uh... well...
>>
File: 1426099649896.jpg (137 KB, 1050x1050) Image search: [Google]
1426099649896.jpg
137 KB, 1050x1050
skyrim and oblivion are extremely similar. oblivion is less polished, far uglier version of skyrim with some horrid level scaling implementations.

morronwind's older and different. i really like it but it might be hard to get into for new players.
>>
>>334368646
>boot up Skyrim one day when drunk
>I. NEED. MODS.
>install a fuck ton of them that sounded good at the time
>don't remember half of them but enjoy coming across all this LoTR armour and fetish gear outfits for my followers
>Havel's Rest. The fuck did he get here?
>find him just as an Elder Dragon shows up and they fight
>takes two huge fire attacks and barely the points of his health bar are gone
>three swings and the dragon's dead
>NOPE the fuck outta there
>run into Ornstein
>FUUUUUUU-
>>
>>334375762
Morrowind requires forethought in character creation.
>>
>>334375730
OpenMW is really far along though.

Tamriel Rebuilt is super old and still super far from completion. I honestly don't know if it will ever be worth playing.

Also, Skywind isn't a port anymore--it's a full rebuild in Skyrim. Not that you'll like that anymore, but it is what it is.
>>
>>334376618
TR is already worth playing, the dungeons, books, lore, cities and quests are one step above original Morrowind.
It's just incomplete.
>>
>>334373345
This so fucking much.
>>
>>334376868
I tried to play it a few weeks ago and the bugs and crashes were real. Is it compatible with OpenMW? I was planning on installing that, so I may be willing to give it a second shot.
>>
>>334368646
In Morrowind you kill Gods
In Oblivion you become one
In Skryrim you yell at dragons

If you think you can get OP in skyrim by abusing alchemy/enchanting.. Try it in morrowind when you hover over cities and puke 50 yard balls of death upon the ground. And then stack jump spells and leap over the entire island in 1-2 bounces.
>>
>>334376985
I never had any bugs/crashes with it, perhaps you missed something on the installation.
Landmass mods should be compatible with OpenMW as far as I know but i'm not very sure, seeing how it's a popular mod you can probably find someone that already asked that somewhere with Google.
>>
>>334377164
I'll give it a second shot, I guess.

I probably did miss something. Missing textures everywhere.
>>
What kind of character should I create for my first time playing Morrowind? I like playing mages but they're usually shit if I don't know the game mechanics really well.
>>
>>334377474
>Missing textures everywhere.
Yeah that's because you forgot to point the .bsa in the morrowind.ini textfile, that happened to me also since it was the first time I installed mods that add textures/meshes in Morrowind.
>>
File: 1458917165306.jpg (159 KB, 419x610) Image search: [Google]
1458917165306.jpg
159 KB, 419x610
they're all shit
>>
>>334377527
Stealth archer
>>
>>334377527
I would advise against starting with a mage. You will get your shit wrecked.

Start with a warrior class with a bit of magic to familiarize yourself with the system.
>>
Morrowind is good if you want to control a character as it goes through a book. The combat is basically a negative though. It'd function better as an open world dear esther story sorta deal.

Oblivion is a better, but uglier, version of skyrim. The game is fun, the writing/quests/whatever are decent enough to be inoffensive, with some real gems like the Dark Brotherhood and thieves guild lines.
>>
Skyrim isn't that good beyond its fanastic atmosphere, but that makes it a fine comfy adventure game
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.