[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yRQ0V xMVnGU >we watch peo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_20160415-074749.png (902 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160415-074749.png
902 KB, 1440x2560
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yRQ0VxMVnGU

>we watch people do everything else, why is gaming any different?
>streamers have interesting personalities
>pewdiepie "fun to watch"
>streaming is a lot of work

Is he right, /v/?
No. This triggered me hard.
>>
File: 1361230223828.png (24 KB, 641x608) Image search: [Google]
1361230223828.png
24 KB, 641x608
>>334305271
why does it matter? people watch tv hosts interview people. they watch others play sports. they watch fucking reality shows. I don't see how its any different. I don't even like streamers or LPers or whatever but its pointless to argue about it.
>>
>watching Maddox

Are you 15?
>>
File: 3252.png (168 KB, 414x433) Image search: [Google]
3252.png
168 KB, 414x433
I think I'm getting old because the idea of watching someone else play and fail at video games is fucking lame, and apparently that's what kids like to watch nowadays. Video games is a unique form of media because the whole point of vidya is the interactivity, and when you watch someone else play you're pretty much just watching a mediocre animation show.
I understand the idea of watching sports on TV because it would take a whole life dedication to ever get to those physical levels, and even then I think it's lame to watch other people play sports.

I get it that when people watch let's plays they're not really watching it for the game, they're watching it for the "personalities" and for the talk, but I would still prefer to play the game myself if given a chance no matter who's playing the game.
>>
>>334305271
No, Pewdiepie does not have an interesting personality, but there are enough toddlers who like him - so in a sense he is getting by by being "charismatic".

Everything else he says is correct however and right on the money.
>>
>>334305271
>That's why people play video games

Okay but it's still kinda sad don't you think?
>>
>>334305271
The points he brings up work in very specific situations, which don't really apply to a lot of Let's Players.

>1. Other people are better at it than you.
Yes, this works for AGDQ and eSports, but the vast majority of popular LPers are bad at video games. Like, really bad.

>2. Let's Players have interesting personalities.
This is the only point where I will truly concede. The only reason people like PewDiePie and Game Grumps and Markiplier have a following is because of their personalities, or in Arin's case his previous internet fame. I sincerely hope nobody watches their respective shows for the actual gameplay.

>3. Games are expensive. Legacy titles are even moreso expensive due to their rarity.
This is also true, but again only applies to people like himself, AGDQ, or AVGN. A lot of LPers play free flash games like Happy Wheels or Agar/Slither.io

>4. Streaming takes a lot of work.
This point actively works against him, due to the simple fact that he's right. If streaming games takes so much work, wouldn't it make more sense if everybody just played games on their own? Otherwise, it's just whining and trying to self-validate streaming games because it's soooo difficult. Also, most of the things he talks about setting up are things you only have to do once. In consecutive streams, all you really need to do is open some windows and hit "start streaming"

The comparison of playing games to playing sports is also always a good laugh. To play a sport, you need to go outside, gather up other people, get the equipment, and play. To watch a sport you just need to sit inside and turn on the TV.

To watch somebody play games, you need to turn on your computer, open a browser, find somebody you want to watch, and watch. Playing a game yourself takes about the same amount of effort, and does not require going outside.
>>
I'm still mad at Maddox for that shitty April Fool's joke.
>>
>>334305271
>streamers have interesting personalities

They all have the same personality
>>
>>334309224
The game you want isn't always available on a platform you've got though, especially for younger people who have maybe 1 console and a PC that's nowhere near good enough to play games on
>>
>>334305271
>watching a sand nigger

Shiggy digg
>>
>>334309224
Also I will say I usually have a lot of respect for Maddox. Most of the time, he's spot on, even though his opinions and mannerisms are brazen and standoffish. Due to the fact that I live here, it also comes off as pretty humorous most of the time. However, he's definitely not right this time. Streaming games covers a pretty broad spectrum, and it sounds like he has a fairly narrow, self-serving view of it, and is only supporting the parts that fulfill his agenda.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.