[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good foreign language video games? Ive been thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: WFTBWGb.jpg (207 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
WFTBWGb.jpg
207 KB, 768x1024
What are some good foreign language video games?

Ive been thinking of picking up another language, maybe Russian, and I think it would be fun to be able to play games in the same language I'm trying to learn.

But also out of curiosity, what are some games with good audio of language other than English or Japanese? I say other than Japanese because finding Nip games would be too easy and everyone knows where to find them.

Bonus points if the game allows the voice over, subtitles and UI to be in different languages, like how the Metro games allow you to have Russian voices with an English UI.
>>
Don't waste time on Russian. It's pretty hard language to learn, even russians don't know it.
>>
>>315637707
I can't actually think of anything other than Metro--Pathologic is great for like playing an interactive Russian novel, but it has very little spoken dialog, and you either play it in English or Russian. But there are games translated into Russian where you can choose subtitle options, not that I can think of any off hand. Search for youtube videos of any games you may enjoy playing, see if they have cutscenes with Russian dubbing.

You are better off learning Japanese that way though. There is no shortage of games with language options.
>>
>>315637707
If you want to vidya while learning another language and you can already speak English there really is no other choice like Japanese.

If you really, really, really don't want to learn Japanese for some reason you could also look into German. Some genres are quite niche (point&click adventures for example), but you'll get a decent size of good games in other genres as well. Gothic 1+2, Drakensang, Settlers, Anno, etc.

CryTek is also a German studio.
>>
>FLECKTARN
>Russia
??????????
>>
>>315639280
STALKER is all in Russian. Not sure if you can seperate the subtitles and audi though
>>
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series
>>
>>315639568
>Sposn
>>
>>315637707
>another language, maybe Russian
Why the fuck you want to learn Russian? It's useless.
Learn Japanese if you want to play games.
>>
>>315638027
>It's pretty hard language to learn, even russians don't know it.
It's not hard to learn, if anything it's pretty easy. People like to overblow how hard it is.
>>
File: 1425890705636.jpg (163 KB, 1024x771) Image search: [Google]
1425890705636.jpg
163 KB, 1024x771
>>315639568
Yes, Freedom wears flecktarn.
>>
>>315639973
It's got a lot of stuff people who only speak English find hard to understand. Like giving all nouns gender, or having diminutive forms for like everything as part of regular conversation, or the formal distinction between addressing someone as you or we, or rolling those Rs. Probably not as alien moon planet as Japanese, but still.
>>
>>315639568
>FLECKTARN

Freedom use them, is not that crazy since they have fuckload of NATO stuff
>>
>>315637707
>>315640214
Stalker cosplay almost seems like cheating
>>
>>315640368
Let's make it clear. English is the language of retards. Doesn't have proper grammar. 20 tenses instead. Runs on exceptions, instead of rules. No wonder they have hard time learning other languages with such background.
The English transcript of Hindi is pretty much the biggest atrocity in history of linguistics.
>>
>>315640368
>Like giving all nouns gender

But that's piss-easy in Russian. In languages like French or Spanish there's no rule to the gender of a noun and you have to learn that off by rote, in Russian you can always tell a noun gender by its last letter.
>>
File: get_out_of_here_by_flyingdebris.jpg (244 KB, 900x1074) Image search: [Google]
get_out_of_here_by_flyingdebris.jpg
244 KB, 900x1074
>>315640664
You still need to work on them, nothing gives you a perfect outfit. That guy in the OP picture had to sew on the shoulder pads and such for his outfit, his padded vest might be a custom job too.

STALKER cosplay is extremely accessible, and be done for pretty much any price range youre willing to spend.
I like it because it reflects the feel of the game in a way. Anyone can be a Stalker.

Put on a hoodie and painters mask, grab your drawstring bag and double barrel and you can be a rookie stalker, or get all sorts of tactical gear and make the right kind of outfit and be a veteran
>>
>>315640368
>diminutive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diminutive#Russian
well, maybe a bit complicated.
>addressing someone as you or we
you mean you and thou? Rather easy.
>or rolling those Rs
Foreign phonetics are hard in general, any language.
>>315640368
>nouns gender
like what >>315641164 said

Russian is not hard. Maybe it's a bit harder than English, but that's all.
>>
>>315641164
Yeah, that part of the language is only difficult to grasp on the surface. It just makes people go, huh?
>>
>>315641579

How does it make people go huh? The gender rule literally is

>Word ends in consonant, it's male, no exceptions
>Word ends in a or ya, female, no exceptions
>Word ends in o, ye, eh, it's neutral, no exceptions

Straightforward gender roles, none of that homosex shit the west does.
>>
I like how slavic the guys face is

Best cosplay
>>
>ctrl + f 'Punch out'
>0 results
go play Wii punch out, most fighters speaks in a different language

CARMEN MI AMOR
>>
>>315641843
Horse
le sip.
>>
>>315642128

Ends in a ь, none of the 3 rules apply to it.
>>
Trying to learn french, but I can't do a fucking french accent to save my life.

Having an easier time with German and Russian words because I can actually get the accent to a reasonable degree. Should I try learning them instead?
>>
File: 740_15564.jpg (17 KB, 310x232) Image search: [Google]
740_15564.jpg
17 KB, 310x232
Here's an idea for you OP: Download Russian version of a game that you know and love. For example Fallout 3 has full Russian translation and voice work (which is mediocre but acceptable).
>>
>>315640368
Kurwa, if you know one slavic language, every other will be easier to learn. It's like a big mix of words here and there that are similar, even in turkish.
>>
>>315642493
>mediocre but acceptable
So better than the English version?
>>
>>315642903
Since Russian version is translation from English one its even worse.
>>
>>315642324
Midnight.

Your rule works for most cases, but not all, "no exception" par is misleading. soft sign and sibilant have their own rules.

Second one was a reference to the word "Coffee", but I heard it doesn't work like this anymore.
>>
>>315643138
coffee is male
>>
>>315643209
yes, but it ends in ye, no ya. It's Coffee, not Coffya.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.