[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why aren't we seeing more of VIDEO RELATED https://www.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (29 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
29 KB, 1280x720
Why aren't we seeing more of VIDEO RELATED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z734GXypSwk&nohtml5=False&ab_channel=elunerelea
In videogames nowadays?
>>
>>333403584
I mean come on, imagine how cool this would be in a sandbox game like Garry's Mod.
>>
Anyone?
>>
>>333403584
>people stop carying about physics since crysis 1

Crysis 1 is allways summoned as the best looking game, or at least one reference for years to come, only a few titles managed to look that good, but none managed to simulate its physics, and most retards dont understand that.
when i see.
>le crysis boogyman of muh graphics
>battlefront looks better
But, in that battlefield clone, you cant destroy the map or even leave a mark (the AT-AT footprints are scripted), so it has slighty better graphics, but they only have physics for the diying bodies.
>>
>>333404981
So what are you trying to say here, kind of confusing when I don't know what your meaining is behind those implications.
>>
File: GTA IV VS GTA V.webm (161 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
GTA IV VS GTA V.webm
161 KB, 640x480
>>
>>333406067
I really hope the next Red Dead goes back to how RDR and GTA4 had things. There were so many times where the only way to play lawful was to shoot a hand or a gun. GTAV makes it impossible to do that since capping someone in the knee or finger pretty much kills them.
>>
>>333403584
1000% agreed. when they were teasing this tech for GTA and that dropped Indiana Jones game i was fucking hype, yet no one even uses it at all, not even for the absolute plug-n-play basics. new TR has absolute shite animations. every game has shit physics, especially on bodies/deaths
> walk over body
> it weights nothing and gets snagged to your foot
seriously, how hard is this to program correctly..

its time devs stop being lazy pieces of shit throwing out mediocre product every year for $70 +DLC but its not gonna happen as long as 15yr olds keep eating it up. why would they put in effort when gamers will buy it anyway?

shame tbqh. few indies are skilled/rich enough to do it even if furry rabbit fighting dev does some of this shit... the tech is amazing now, but no one is using it

>>333405628
it was pretty obvious.. he says some games get close to crysis graphically, but dont have half the physics simulations running

tldr; crysis is goat for technology in general
>>
>>333406067
Also this. The euphoria engine, what's the deal here, has Rockstar trademarked any physics engine that could come close to achieving the same results as the euphoria engine? Why aren't we seeing more complicated ragdoll physics like this in other games?
>>
>>333406271
Well if that's what he meant then I agree with him, and you. Seriously, EVERY game nowadays has 2005-tier physics engines. Oh and what's the deal with GTA V anyway? Why didn't they utilize the potential of the euphoria engine, as you said? This is so stupid, it's like they purpousely make their games worse even though it's VERY easy to make it atleast 10x better.
>>
>>333406358
>>333406657
because vidya is a business and they weigh time/money to push out bare minimum product which will sell

they could do tons of awesome shit but they don't, and if you have a dreamer studio who tries for tons of crazy stuff you usually end up with something like Tresspasser
>>
>>333406996
It's a damn shame. And kind of wierd too, you know, it looks like we got somekind of monopoly situation going on here. Why don't other wealthy game companies acknowledge that the other company releases piece of shit games with shit technology, and then steam roll said company, actually using cool and modern technology?
>>
>>333406657
Im that anon, and this was going on before that.

Carmageddon is the same way but in racing physics, we needed to wait a fucking lot to have a physics engine like the 1st carmageddon and we needed to wait for the first DIRT and GRID to have the same physics and crash details as carma 2.

>>333406996
if the engine was already done, they just adapt everything, mostly is water down everything to save resources, but most of the times they are outdated engines with new shaders or other shit in it to keep em alive, but no physics improvement.

That video on OP was mindblowing to me, the tech was awesome, but it was poorly implemented, it was downgraded and put in a few objets in the force unleashed, there is also another part of that same vid when they show improvements in AI scripting, but most of those concepts were already done before, like people running away when they know you are going to kill them with no effort (when you have big guns like cerebral bore in turok)

Nowdays, almost everything its showed and then abandoned, its just for the show and for the hype, like those E3 builds that never look like the final game.

Vidya really needs another crash.
>>
File: inthineface.webm (3 MB, 1360x768) Image search: [Google]
inthineface.webm
3 MB, 1360x768
Check out Exanima and Sui Generis. It's still under development but it has great potential.
>>
>>333407681
I tried it, it was nothing like I expected, it's like watching 2 very drunk people trying to beat eachother to death. Unless they do improvement on the physics technology they are using, I won't buy it.
>>
>>333407557
> most of those concepts were already done before, like people running away when they know you are going to kill them with no effort
even though AI is tricky stuff, to have original behaviors like this isn't that hard and breathes so much life into the comparatively shite AI. i think in the future AI is gonna be one of the things we look back on in old games and just laugh that no one was doing better

believable world doesn't seem to be a big focus for devs beyond graphics these days..
>>
>>333408182
It has a steep learning curve. Every single movement is physics based and that is hard to control if you're used to controlling stiff and precanned animations. Once you get past a certain point, you suddenly find the controls are quite intuitive and the fighting looks much more natural and realistic.
>>
even though GTA 5s euphoria seemed to be stiff and watered downed (which i believe was to increase performance on consoles, which is why something as big as GTA 5 can even work at a reasonable framerate on last-gen consoles) its still way better than most ragdoll physics in AAA titles nowadays
>>
>>333408296
Thats the price of games being art.
Those shitters focus on making a audiovisual art piece, but in game terms, its a piece of shit.

>this rule applies to every single game created arround the idea of making something artistic or cinematic than a game with good gampleay.

I had hopes that the "indie scnene" will create games more complex than AAA studios and force them to improve its quality, but it was worse than i thought, those motherfuckers were the ones that introduced the
>games dont have to be games
>muh game is art. fuck complex gamplay mechanics ill put a skip gameplay button
And also the ones who stick to old genres like platformers or zelda like games.
And AAA studios adopted this shit, and now here we are, games are like any other process now, like movies or other controlled media.
>tutorial made for retads up to the point that even normies feel bad about it
check
>downgraded difficulty with supervision and other "helps"
check
>cultural diversity quota
check
>story must be the main focus and will be a priority in every detail
check
>cut the game in half to send it later as indisk dlc or season pass
check

and i could keep going for a while.

>>333409121
in physics you can adjust 2 things
1 is how many detections per minute
2 how detailed are the collision boxes

Collision boxes in gta were allways shit (i know because i used to import-export models and you can see the *.col meshes) but in gta4 the detection count is higher than V, and you can notice it when you drive or ride a bike, thats why it feels worse.
>>
>>333408664
Yeah if the game was about drunk people.
>>
>>333409554
oh ok i see. I just always thought gta 4 was overdramatic, while gta 5 wasnt dramatic enough when they flailed around
>>
>>333409554
but im also taking about the actual euphoria engine. like the selfpreservation, and the trying to stay upright, grabbing ledges, wounds, and such
>>
>>333409898
Yeah, now that I think about it, GTA IV Had wayyy cooler physics than GTA V. But no, it had to be dumbed down even more.
>>
>>333410043
i really do think it was water down for performance reasons. But i agree. I just think its funny that no one is fully satisfied when a rockstar game comes out, they just keep complaining
>>
>>333409898
A part of me was ok because it let me do amazing stunts with the bike compared to 4 because how those collision boxes works when you hit borders or something that could work as a ramp, but its like winning a f1 championship in a codemaster arcade shit game instead of a serious simulator, it gives me no satifaction.

>>333410016
That will depends of how much of resources they consume, and also how much data they need from other sources inside the engine, optimization never gives the same thing with less code, you allways lose something in the middle.
Remember they have to water down the game to work ok on a ps3 and the 360, and the biggest issue is the LOD changes and how fast they load the meshes, i remember in gta3 and also in vice city that you need to wait a moment of loading to go bewteen cities, now that is gone, but the need to load shit is still there, in games like oblivion it was a mark to see wich console did better, because pc has little to no loading during free roam, but consoles had from time to time a 10-30 seconds loading while walking in free roam.

I will be tottaly ok to have a long loading at the start and then never had to, Thief2014 levels of LOADINGU are fucking disgusting, and no loading but everything pops out of nowhere is bottom tier.
>>
>>333410992
desu im quite fine with the physics, because it still has its fun random AI moments. And i really enjoyed the game outside of the physics so it doesnt matter that much to me. But since the next R* game will be on next gen consoles, im looking forward to euphoria being fleshed out more
>>
>>333410251
I'm pretty sure they got dumbed down because of the consoles, to make space for online for example. Is it really impossible to to a good job separating the Pc version vs Console versions?
>>
>>333411473
they probably could improve it on the pc, in fact theres a mod called "gta 4 ragdoll physics" i think
>>
>>333411385
After playing a moded gta4 with more realistic crashes and physics, and a 1st person mod, the only good i can take is the ingame 1st person camera, but its mostly because i expected as much.
Remember also, that gtav had the same issues of shit poping out of nowhere because how slow is the HDD inside it, and people say FUCK WARRANTY and clone the disc into a SSD and its another world, google about it, and its what i have as reference to know that the wont improve that much, it will be more than a bugfix of 5 and more polished out, wich isnt bad, but also isnt and improvement like early games
>>
The main reason is because the more complex your physics become, the larger their potential to break parts of the game become, and for the vast majority of videogames, body physics are purely aesthetic and not a priority that justifies the amount of increased bug testing that creates for every map and physics object.

Also, I'm pretty sure Euphoria doesn't get used often because the company that made it is a bunch of faggots about licensing it out to very select developers.
>>
>>333411918
yeah, i just wish it was used in more games
>>
>>333411876
i saw some videos, but people either said it was instant, or most said it barely changed the load times and character switches
>>
>>333409672
the solution is 2 git gud m8
>>
>>333409672
the solution is to git gud m8
But they are working on making the animations look more natural.
>>
>>333413619
Its the only thing that you can do to the console, i dont know if it has some kind of power throtle, wich can be solved with better cooling, but i dont think it will make that impact.
It might sound retarded, but look closely if those changes or load times are related to the ram or the disk, because sometimes the game ask for something already loaded in ram or something stored in the disk, the old school loading screen will make will show an actual difference.
and in gta the example i saw was with a plane flying low, and with the original disk was like
>flying happy
>suddently crash into an invisible wall
>plane explodes and the "wasted" banner start to appear
>as soon as it shows the slowmo of me dying, a tree also comes to say "hi, i was using predtech cloak".

And with the ssd the tree spawned when the player was like feets away, but it poped up before the crash.
>>
console cpus can't handle complex physics

that's the reason
>>
File: rusfunkfull.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
rusfunkfull.webm
3 MB, 960x540
Good physics just works, and unless the game is built around it like a puzzle game, or forced around it like HL2, you only truly notice it when it breaks.

"Devs" alwasy try to find things to diferentiate their product and implementing shit that, if works as intended, you dont even notice; is a waste of resources that you could have spent on adding neon pink lens flare that you PR team could plaster all over the ads.

Every major "breakthrough" (not strictly graphis, but gameplay) had its time in the spotlight where after someone implemented it first, every had to have it, then became basic feature, then in some cases not having it is a feature is in itself. Headshots, ragdolls, cutscenes, Bullet time, Cover shooting, "realistic" physics, sandbox ala gta, sandbox ala assasisn creed, HDR...

This is why indie games are so "popular" nowdays, AAA devs exhausted every safe bet in "newness" and indies can get away with crazyer shits like no gameplay, contriversial topics, pretentiusnes both in game and IRL, barebones proof-of-concept demos as "finished producs"...
>>
>>333407367
There is no real pay off. The average consumer is too tech illiterate to impress and your niche tech hardcore audience will just pirate your shit.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.