[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Nintendo advice thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13
So /v/, I haven't owned a new Nintendo console (handheld or otherwise) since the GameCube. I grew up with Star Fox and Mario on the SNES and Pokémon and Metroid on the Gameboy.

I never owned an SP or a DS or any of its iterations. But now with Smash Brothers and Star Fox looking really good on the Wii U, I've been questioning getting a Wii U. The only problem is amiibos. I don't care for figures but the extra functionality seems worthwhile. Granted I don't know anything about them other than scalpers and limited availability drove the price of certain ones up and that there's card versions of every figure?

Can I get some advice? Is the Wii U worth it now with the NX on the horizon or is it too much of a money sink with amiibos and all? For what it's worth, I wouldn't be the only one playing it or playing solo all the time.
>>
It's a good investment. Get mario kart 8 or Smash if you're going to multiplayer. Mario Maker is a good multi game too.
>>
File: 1456856934487.jpg (58 KB, 500x706) Image search: [Google]
1456856934487.jpg
58 KB, 500x706
I might wait until this holiday to get Wii U since the price will probably drop even further with the release of NX. If nothing else wait until after E3 but the Wii U is very much worth getting.

>I don't care for figures but the extra functionality seems worthwhile

Honestly for the most part they are collectibles. Probably 95% of people collect them because they want Nintendo figures. The things they add in-game are mostly pretty minor and I wouldn't say they're essential parts to any games. Depends what you consider essential though.

You should wait to see what the NX will be at E3 and get a Wii U after that.
>>
You odn't need to buy Amiibos.

I admit I bought a Link and Samus one, but I never even used them. I left them at my friend's house and forgot about them for like half a year.
>>
>>333270034
Amiibo unlocks are literally irrelevant in 95% of circumstances. It's a decent purchase if you like the small but solid first-party library that it already has since it's basically not getting any more big titles besides Star Fox and perhaps a very late Zelda.
>>
I see there is a lot of Nintendo fans in here. I own a wiiU but I'm not a Nintendo fan.

The console is not a good investment right now and that isn't going to change in the future before or after the release of the NX.

If there's 5 games you want to play on it then go ahead, you're not going to get typical console length games tough so don't expect that.

You might get a lot of hours out of Smash or Mario Kart 8 but a lot of the other first party titles are either very short, have no replayability or are flavour of the day type of games. They're not very good.
>>
>>333271707
>I own a wiiU but I'm not a Nintendo fan
Probably my biggest issue with people who criticize Nintendo is that they never have a good answer for who these magical publishers are that are so much better. I try to think about the best publishers and when I consider all the different aspects they still fall on top no matter how I break it down for the most part. Especially given how old they are the fact they don't do the kind of faggy stuff like EA and Activision do is notable.
>>
>>333270847
>Nintendo
>Price dropping
>>
>>333272061
Yeah I remember when it cost $250to get a Wii the other day.

Guess I need to leave Somalia.
>>
>>333271707
>You might get a lot of hours out of Smash or Mario Kart 8

Splatoon and Mario Maker are games that offer a lot of replayability too.
>>
File: 1456477401853.jpg (89 KB, 840x595) Image search: [Google]
1456477401853.jpg
89 KB, 840x595
>>333271943
>Probably my biggest issue with people who criticize Nintendo is that they never have a good answer for who these magical publishers are that are so much better.

Probably because that wasn't an argument I ever made. Nintendo isn't anywhere near as bad as Ubisoft or EA but I don't judge Nintendo games they way in which they are published. I'm usually referring to gameplay, the length of the games and the effort that clearly goes into them. My only relevant complain within the context of publishing is how ridiculously high Nintendo software is and how arbitrarily high the value of the software remains long after release.

It's not like the only publishers/developed outside of Nintendo are only big western AAA's though, you have Falcom, Tecmo, Japan Studio, Insomniac, PMSTUDIOS, 5.pb, Atlus, Team Ninja and the list goes on and on and on.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-05-08-55-37.png (416 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-05-08-55-37.png
416 KB, 1080x1920
>>333272118
Well..

>>333271386
The Star Fox ones looked cool, especially the Retro one. I guess I have to research the cards.
>>
>>333272484
I live in Canada where our money is worth jack shit now and the first result on Amazon.ca was $100 for a Wii.

I mean I can cherry pick one that costs $30 from Craigslist if you want me to waste my time.
>>
>>333272580
Alright, alright so what kind of price drop can we expect with the NX announcement if Wii Us are currently 300-350$?
>>
>>333272439
>Probably because that wasn't an argument I ever made
Probably what? I didn't say you did.

>I'm usually referring to gameplay, the length of the games and the effort that clearly goes into them
What developers are you comparing them against?

>how ridiculously high Nintendo software is
In price? Market dictates that. Take it up with people who buy games.

>It's not like the only publishers/developed outside of Nintendo are only big western AAA's though
I agree but my statement still stands.
>>
Amiibos don't mean shit they basically unlock skins. In Mario Maker you can still unlock the skins by playing challenges without ever touching one. I personally see them as collectibles for buyfag threads.

Just look up a list of games and decide for yourself. I don't regret it in the slightest, I got so many hours out of Xenoblade X, Platinum Games and the online games like smash and mario kart. I still haven't picked up pokken, freeze dong or pikmin

It's basically only Nintendoshit but if you like Nintendoshit you'll probably like this piece of plastic. Just do your research first and don't come back crying because >you fell for the wii u meme
>>
>>333272687
Wii U is currently $200 for a refurb unit and has been for like over 18 months. The Wii U could never go down dramatically in price because it's kind of a niche thing due to low sales.

Especially games more so than the hardware units. If you want physical copies of certain games you better buy them immediately.
>>
Get a 3DS, Wii U isn't worth it at its current cost and 3DS is BC with DS games which is already a fantastic library of oldies and goodies. Plus its easily crackable and you can play hundreds of games at no charge if you really want to.

Got one refurb'd for $100 CAD, worth every penny.
>>
>>333270034
You are honestly not missing out on much.
Wait for E3. The NX might be good.
You (the GC and older crowd) are no longer nintendos target audience.
>>
>>333272985
Nintendo's audience has always been and remains everybody except edgy teenagers, which is captured nicely by Sony. We don't even need Xbox in the industry.
>>
>>333273265
The why are their games so, SO different this past 10 years?
>>
>>333272709

>What developers are you comparing them against?
I'm not really comparing Nintendo games to other developes but a lot of Nintendo games are simply short and low effort.

>In price? Market dictates that.

Not quite, it's because Nintendo strong arms retailers and its a practice that was carried over from the 80's when they monopolized the industry, it merely trickles down to the people who are buying and reselling games. It is a direct result of Nintendos ancient greed, nothing less nothing more. If they can retain a high value of their software regardless of the content then that's good, for them but the consumer like you and I foot the bill.

>I agree but my statement still stands.
Well Nintendo still runs a pretty tight ship, I'm not a fan of Nintendo at the moment mainly with their console/smart phone ventures side of things, but I do buy Nintendo hardware and games and I will continue to support Nintendo as long as they continue supporting traditional console/handheld gaming. If I have to say something it's that I'd much rather play any Nintendo games than touch Ubisoft/EA crap any day of the week.
>>
>>333273345
The answer is that you changed.
>>
>>333272985
I don't mind "kiddy" games, I have younger relatives that come and visit and it's always nice to see them getting into games. Honestly it would be for novelty, I may just wait for the NX reveal because I doubt I'll buy another Nintendo console anytime soon.

>>333272821
I've perused the homebrew general, I was think about a cheap 3DS but wouldn't want to brick. Course I wouldn't want to buy a bunch of games either so that seems like it would be worth it too.
>>
>>333273395
..No? Are you blind? Have you even played a nintendo game before the wii era? What does Majoras mask have to do with Skyward sword?
What does super metroid have to do with other m?
I could give you 50 examples if you want.
>>
>>333273371
>a lot of Nintendo games are simply short and low effort.
Compared to what?

>Not quite, it's because Nintendo strong arms retailers
How do they do that specifically?

The reason Nintendo games cost as much as they do is that people pay for them, if people didn't pay that much they wouldn't cost that much. The reason other games drop in price is that nobody except early adopters wants to pay $59.99 for Last of Us.
>>
>>333270034
wiiu is fine, can't comment on nx since it isn't out yet.
don't waste your cash on amiiblows unless there's some specific content you're interested in or you're a manbaby.
>>
>>333273447
Whatever the case, wait for the NX reveal.
>>
File: mario_stamp13.gif (261 KB, 310x262) Image search: [Google]
mario_stamp13.gif
261 KB, 310x262
>>333273510
Nobody ever makes a good argument.

>They're different man
>You need to specifically count these games and not these ones though, also I fuggin need a new Metroid that I personally will allow to be counted or else they are fascists

Like when I hear good Nintendo criticism I will listen to it.
>>
>>333273556
>>333273580
Yeah that's the smart decision. Cheers
>>
>>333273630
Why are you avoiding my points?
>>
>>333273671
You do not have points.

>I have 50 examples of two different games in a series
That's great man.
>>
I'm glad I stopped buying Nintendo when I did. Enjoyed NES through N64, GB, GBC, GBA. They've always milked shit but not to the levels they do today. McDonalds tier toys, locking on-disc content behind those toys, almost no originality with games, remakes and rehashes out the ass. They've gone to such shit its hilarious.
>>
>>333273702
I used to thing exactly like you 2 years ago. But if the wii U didn't "open your eyes", then i don't think there's hope left for you.
Look, if a game franchise has changed so much that it is barely the same game, then how did said game company who makes said game franchises not change?
>>
File: 1459188350263.png (273 KB, 558x520) Image search: [Google]
1459188350263.png
273 KB, 558x520
>>333273884
>>
>>333273919
>>333273884
I feel like you probably won't understand so I'll try to be clear.

HOW have they changed, in specific terms.
>>
>>333273752
The last Nintendo console I bought was a game boy colour. I fell for the wiiU meme and it's left a pretty dam stale taste in my mouth for Nintendo to be honest.
>>
Curious question - Has anyone ever had a 3DS that sometimes doesn't wake-up out of sleep? It's been happening to me the last few months. I'll Streetpass people, open it and nothing. All I can do is hold down the power button for 10 secs to turn it off, naturally losing those Streetpasses.
I've always taken a lot of care with stuff and don't take it out of the house that often, so it's not like it's gotten damaged from rough handling or anything.
>>
>>333273752
It's more like the video game market and consumers are shit, which drive these practices you don't like.

Ever play a non-Nintendo game?
>>
>>333270034
I think Wii U is a great console and I have a big pile of games for it, but I've never even considered buying a single Amiibo
>>
>>333274224
Mine hasn't done that for a while. You shouldn't leave it on for more than 24 hours. When I stopped leaving it constantly on I didn't have that problem.
>>
>>333274224
>Handheld Console
>not taking it out and about

>>333274265
See, I hadn't really done my research and didn't know how much and what was locked behind the amiibos and I'm still a little confused on the Smash Brothers one but they do seem just like physical dlc. If I do buy a Wii U, I would probably only ever buy the Star Fox ones.
>>
>>333270034
stay away, keep the good memories man
>>
File: 038.png (621 KB, 1778x1400) Image search: [Google]
038.png
621 KB, 1778x1400
>>333273919
>>333274096

Look man. Nintendo games used to be easy to play/learn, hard to master. This is no longer the case. They've taken out every single bit of challenge in their main franchises, there's barely any satisfaction left to be had. The hand-holding has gotten out of hand (no pun), and if you don't see that, then you are lying to yourself.
Take for example fucking mario kart, a very minor example which i could give you without exaggerating hundreds maybe thousands of examples, alright, bear with me. Go play mario kart 64 on 150cc right now, and try to take a curve having your A button fully pressed and the joystick fully tilted. You will slip/slide and your character will act as if you drove into a banana. What does the game expect you to do? Well if you have gotten so far into using the 150cc mode, the game expects you to be good enough by now, so you have to start, if you havent already, using the drift mechanic, break here and there where it's needed. The game highers the skill sceiling whcih means more satisfaction and which in turn means more fun. Go play mario kart 8 right now at 200cc and tell me if the game is as unforgiving as mario kart 64.
Nintendo is not the only one, of course, who is dumbing down their game franchises, everybody does it these days, with literally hour long tutorial sequences, message pop ups to tell you exactly where to go and what to do. Nintendo changed with them, to the point that they simply do not make the same games anymore like they used to.
This is the reason why super mario 3d worlds best stage is the last one, because it honestly is the only challenging level in that game and the only satisfying one. I hope you agree with me on this one.

>tl;dr
Like i said before, nintendo used to have an absurd high skill ceiling in their games (Melee holy fuck, F-zero GX, Or even super mario bros for that matter) deep gameplay mechanics etc. They don't have that anymore.
>>
You don't need any amiibo for the Wii u they hardly do anything cool

Best games are

Mario Maker
Bayo 1+2
W101
Smash
Mk8
Splatoon
XCX
Starfox 0 most likely

There are some other games that are alright but I wouldn't say they are worth the time desu
>>
>>333274670
This is also the reason why the souls franchise is so highly regarded, because in the ocean of handholdy casual games, it's the only one who offers challenge.
>>
File: 1393109310624.jpg (473 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1393109310624.jpg
473 KB, 1280x720
>>333274670

>I never 100%'d a Wii U game: the post.
>>
>>333274670
All of this
>>
>>333274978
Well ok, touche, dktf is an exception. Same as luigi U i suppose.
>>
File: 1420236117206.png (229 KB, 750x1000) Image search: [Google]
1420236117206.png
229 KB, 750x1000
>>333274670
Well you gave one shitty example but at least you attempted to give one.

https://youtu.be/0V_JIZVNWVU

>the game expects you to be good enough by now, so you have to start, if you havent already, using the drift mechanic
This is literally no different from Mario Kart 8 though.

>Go play mario kart 8 right now at 200cc and tell me if the game is as unforgiving as mario kart 64.
You're right it isn't as unforgiving. It's even more unforgiving.

https://youtu.be/1aXrFqYbSRo?t=12

The problem is that I actually still do play Nintendo games which is why it's so easy for me to call you out on these weak arguments.
>>
File: 1424448262782.png (1 MB, 753x1016) Image search: [Google]
1424448262782.png
1 MB, 753x1016
>>333275206
How many touches you need before you reconsider your opinion senpai?
>>
>>333275208
Thanks for proving my point. The first one isnt even in 150cc. And you can not slip in mk8, the game is too forgiving. And lakitu picks you up within 1 second when you fall.
>>
>>333275301
HA HA HA HAAAAA
A son cleaning up his dads mess huh? Where have i heard that story before..
>>
File: 1445005551323.png (699 KB, 658x785) Image search: [Google]
1445005551323.png
699 KB, 658x785
>>333275491
>Thanks for proving my point

>The first one isnt even in 150cc
The point is in comparing the two games, both of which require the same skill threshold in terms of powersliding, go youtube the courses in 150cc if you need to.

>the game is too forgiving
You can assert this without evidence for other mouth-breathers but I will still make fun of you and demonstrate you can't prove that every time.

>And lakitu picks you up within 1 second when you fall
Which he does for all players, negating some kind of advantage. All this does is reduce tedium.

You know what's different? You were a child when you played Mario Kart 64 for the first time and you attribute your inability to do things in it then to attributes of the game, rather than yourself.

You should be able to come up with something more substantial if there are SO many examples.
>>
>>333275491
>And lakitu picks you up within 1 second when you fall.
You still get absolutely fucked when you get hit by a shell, but now you're not immediately sent back to last place because of it.
>>
>>333275814
Doesn't matter, i planted the neo-nintendo redpill seed. Soon it will bloom and you will wake up.
The biggest nintendo haters, are former nitnendo fans.
Peace out.
I didn't even read your reply LOL.
>>
File: 1449976927980.png (127 KB, 609x711) Image search: [Google]
1449976927980.png
127 KB, 609x711
>>333276145
Alright well at least you dropped the pretense of not being a retarded faggot.

That's the real red pill for lurkers.
>>
>>333276227
He is right. You will soon join us.
>The point is in comparing the two games, both of which require the same skill threshold in terms of powersliding, go youtube the courses in 150cc if you need to.
How is it the same when in mk8 you can NOT slip if you aren't careful? Have you even played mk64? But hey, you watched a youtube video right? :)
Ah goddamn.
>>
File: 1443888023807.jpg (172 KB, 774x1032) Image search: [Google]
1443888023807.jpg
172 KB, 774x1032
>>333276509
>You will soon join us.
The people with no arguments?

>Oh you haven't played it, otherwise you'd believe the same delusions as me
If only the world was so simple.

The many, many examples sure proved me wrong, your rational is weak to simple questions that you can't answer.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.