[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Gameplay is a literally a shameless Dragon Quest ripoff >Itoi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6
File: EarthBound_Box.jpg (112 KB, 400x293) Image search: [Google]
EarthBound_Box.jpg
112 KB, 400x293
>Gameplay is a literally a shameless Dragon Quest ripoff
>Itoi defends this with a sob story about him playing DQ with his son during a bad time in his life
>Jokes that aged like milk
>Defended because it's a "feels" game
>Games entire structure was rehashed from the original MOTHER which despite it's outdated gameplay still did it better
>Even as a "feels game" it just felt artificial and forced compared to the first
>Story suddenly gets serious at the end after jumping in and out of silly and strange moments
>It only gets defended because it was unexpected and "Earthbound's thing" despite the original MOTHER doing a perfect balance of silly serious and strange
>Pokey/Porky is a terrible character who we're supposed to take seriously as a villain
>Gets away at the end because LOL SEQUEL
>ENJOY WAITING FOREVER FOR THE CONTINUATION!
>>
File: mother3.jpg (45 KB, 470x297) Image search: [Google]
mother3.jpg
45 KB, 470x297
>Mother 3 finally releases after development hell
>This time it's literally advertised as a "feels game" with it's Japanese commercial showing a crying woman talking about her experience with the game
>The gameplay is the best it's been despite still being a simple Dragon Quest game
>Only difference is a rhythm game version of action commands from Paper Mario
>Getting free exp from instakilled enemies is removed for no reason at all
>Two points of no return
>Chapter 6 is literally a cutscene that only gets defended because muh feels
>Chapter 7 is incredibly long with objectives that can be accomplished in a non liner order
>For some reason it's the only point in the that's like that
>The final chapter and it's revelations are rushed as hell
>The entire game was a recreation of the scraps of the cancelled Earthbound 64 explaining the somewhat unfinished vibe
>Earthbound 64 sounded like an amazing game that was far too ahead of it's time
>Features like a real time system and in game calendar were brought up
>The game was side to take place over 10 years time
>Flint, a character so important to Mother 3's development he was intended to be the original protagonist, was cut down to a single chapter
>Flint is one of the few non PSI characters in the series who can actually kick ass
>Has a unique moveset that's entirely lost after his disappearance
>Regardless of being unplayable we hardly even see him
>Cut lines indicate he was at least supposed to be around during some chapters
>>
File: 1446932527542.png (3 MB, 3380x1893) Image search: [Google]
1446932527542.png
3 MB, 3380x1893
>>333029072
>>333029169
I agree. Undertale is better in every way.
>>
File: maskedboy.jpg (18 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
maskedboy.jpg
18 KB, 160x160
>Certain signs point to an entire chapter involving young Lucas and Claus being planned at one point which would have made the events afterwards have more of an impact
>Darker scenes and the ending were toned down for being too dark
>The humming bird egg had little to no relevance at all
>it didn't give Duster his original memories from the White Ship despite him likely being a child at the time unless he's younger or as old as Kumatora
>Kumatora pretty much didn't care you were killing the people that were pretty much her family the whole game
>The Fassad/Yokuba twist felt forced with the only hint being the music he plays before battle and the fact he looked like a normal person is never explained
>Some of the most powerful lines of dialogue in the whole game went unused

Can we all agree Itoi is a hack, and Mother 1 was the best game in the series?
>>
I like Mother 3 the best.
>>
>>333029243
>Can we all agree Itoi is a hack, and Mother 1 was the best game in the series?
I honestly feel this way on both points.
For the latter: This is not because Mother 1 had good gameplay (fuck no it didn't, even worse than DQ1 arguably), but because it gave you a shitload of freedom to run around and find melodies when you wanted to in pretty much whatever order after you get past magicant the first time around.
Fuck the factory stages and magicant though.
>>
>>333029241
i know you're memeing but undertale unifies its gameplay and its themes better than any of the mother games ever did
>>
>>333029627
That's because it's less of a mother-like and more of a homage to Moon RPG.
>>
>>333029847
there are definite similarities, but i don't think toby fox ever played moon RPG considering he can't read japanese
>>
File: 1429716509167.jpg (77 KB, 630x480) Image search: [Google]
1429716509167.jpg
77 KB, 630x480
>>333029627
Undertale is essentially a dirty trick in that it affects being a pathetic, pissy puppy while rolling over 100% for rabid progressives. The net result is that you get slammed as an asshole if you point out any one of its deep flaws.
>>
>>333029886
You can pretty much read about a lot of it.
Doesn't capture the same sensation, but gives you the gist of you're meant to "feel" and yes I mean that in that way.
Moon RPGs ending is hamhanded as fuck.
>>
>>333029972
>Undertale is essentially a dirty trick in that it affects being a pathetic, pissy puppy while rolling over 100% for rabid progressives.
what the fuck does this even mean you illiterate nigger
>>
>>333030115
Should I paste the copypastas again?
>>
>>333030115
Would you make fun of a retard or a dog with only one leg?
>>
earthbound is okay but overrated
mother 3 is great and the best in the series
mother 1 is a tedious grindfest
>>
What's the deal with constantly making earthbound bait threads and only getting 20 replies anyway?
>>
File: 1459196246046.png (2 KB, 210x195) Image search: [Google]
1459196246046.png
2 KB, 210x195
>>333029072
>Dragon quest ripoff

How? By that logic, so is Phantasy Star, Or any other early entries in turn based RPGs.

>Feels game

Nice meme, faglord.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.