[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is the best Zelda game in decades. Before release I thought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: albw.jpg (2 MB, 1863x1697) Image search: [Google]
albw.jpg
2 MB, 1863x1697
This is the best Zelda game in decades. Before release I thought it would be the very definition of a Nintendo rehash with a new gimmick thrown in, I've never been more happy to be proven wrong.

>no stupid sea or train overworld
>this game's gimmick is well-realized, actually great for both puzzles and exploration, and is utilized well for the stealth section and boss fights toono
>no tutorials
>best dungeon design in any Zelda game, ever (prove me wrong). Takes the best elements of 2D and 3D Zelda dungeons
>you have a lot of items from the start which feels great, but you still unlock more and can't explore the world fully from the get go which means the feeling of progression is not compromised
>hardest Zelda game in a while (not saying much I know, but when you get thrown into Lorule and enemies do 3 hearts of damage when you only have 6 or 7 hearts it's pretty deadly)
>items are actually fun to use in combat (Upgraded Fire Rod is so much fun holy shit)
>death matters than any previous game
>rupees matter more than any previous game

I just wish this game had its own overworld instead of basing it off of LttP's, then it would be a true 10/10.
>>
>>332317508

I died once and that was on the final boss.

I'm pleased they decided to release another 2D Zelda but it's really not as good as people are making it out to be.

"It's not utter shit" shouldn't be its main selling point. And the rental system was interesting but made all dungeons rather bland and easy in case you didn't have the right tools for the job.
>>
>>332317508

>hardest Zelda game in a while
I don't remember it being that hard at all.
>death matters than any previous game
Because you lose your items? Not really, they're so cheap to rent as it is, though it would be annoying to go from a dungeon to Link's how to re-rent an item you need/want. Though once you buy them that becomes a non-issue

Still, I agree that it's the best Zelda game in a long time, I was pleasantly surprised when I finally played it several months ago.
>>
>>332317508
My only small complaints are that sometimes exploration rewards feel inconsistent.

I cleared one of those treasure rooms and got a silver rupee (not even golden). But at another point a simple "oh, I can go through a crack here" observation leads you to a Piece of Heart. But exploration rewards are usually inconsistent so I'll let it slide. Still the most fun I've had playing a Zelda game in a while
>>
>>332318462
>>332318476
Do you guys really think Skyward Sword, Spirit Tracks, Twilight Princess or Wind Waker are harder than ALBW?
>>
The game is so good even the contrarian shitposters have trouble shitting on it, kek.

I still love WW, TP, ST, and SS, but ALBW is something special.
>>
>This is the best Zelda game in decades.
That doesn't say much. It's still mediocre as fuck, it just seems amazing because it's surrounded by recent trash.
>>
>>332318745

I don't see how you could have possibly gotten that idea from either of those posts.
>>
>>332318941
Are you retarded?
The OP comment literally says
>hardest Zelda game in a while (not saying much, but...)
and you disagree

The post you replied to lists recent Zelda games to back up OP's point. And you don't see how that connects?
>>
File: african pacman.png (106 KB, 336x351) Image search: [Google]
african pacman.png
106 KB, 336x351
>>332318912
The only thing mediocre about the game is its lack of identity.

LttP had identity. Link's Awakening had a lot of identity. Hell every Zelda game has identity.

ALBW lives in LttP's shadow and barely has an identity of its own, which might even make it forgettable in the long run as the series ages. It's such a shame though because the gameplay and overall design is the most refined it's ever been. If this game was its own thing people would notice it a lot more.

The fact that this game is great also gives me a lot of hope for Zelda Wii U. At least we know we'll be getting an open-ended game that isn't a tutorial-fest.
>>
>>332319386

I just said I don't remember it being that hard. I cared so little about SS that I can't even remember its level of difficulty.
>>
>>332319496
It's mediocre because it has no sense of progression whatsoever, all of the dungeons are around the same difficulty level, and the wall walking is a gimmick.
>>
>>332318912
You're a memer if you think even the worst Zelda games aren't far above mediocre
>>
>>332319496

>The fact that this game is great also gives me a lot of hope for Zelda Wii U. At least we know we'll be getting an open-ended game that isn't a tutorial-fest.

Ha, if you have hope about Zelda even after ALTTP, you're incredibly naive. It's going to be a console Zelda, Nintendo's going to want it to sell to fucking everyone, so I'll be shocked if it's not a hand-holdey, tutorial-ridden mess.
>>
I'm sure it's super easy and short, but I'm probably fine with that. As long as they get rid of the hand holding, and filler backtracking fetch quests, I'll be happy with zelda u.
>>
>>332319672
Wall walking integrates incredibly well into gameplay. Exploration and puzzles are made pretty interesting with it. At this point it stops being a gimmick.

Blowing into the DS microphone to play the Spirit Tracks flute is a gimmick.
You can even argue that Wolf Link is a gimmick because it doesn't add much to the core gameplay or have many unique things associated with it to justify its inclusion, and is more annoying than just playing as normal Link.

If you think merging into walls is a gimmick you don't know shit about vidya
>>
>>332319672
>it's a gimmick
>so it must be bad
>>
File: Zelda U optimism.png (4 MB, 1920x2244) Image search: [Google]
Zelda U optimism.png
4 MB, 1920x2244
>>332319817
>so I'll be shocked if it's not a hand-holdey, tutorial-ridden mess.
Aonuma specifically talked about this.

"At first I thought everyone should understand the game, but now I realize when you buy a game you just want to play it. So I'm going to be careful not to [put in as many tutorials as Skyward Sword]"
>>
The one real issue I saw was the game was it's pretty easy, but I'm fine with easy games, so it was great to me.

The best part about it is the engine itself feels great, the game just feels so good to play.
>>
File: Dr. Carson, I'm POTUS.png (206 KB, 355x385) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Carson, I'm POTUS.png
206 KB, 355x385
Serious question.

Is this the first Zelda game to run at 60fps? Can't think of any others.
>>
>>332320180

I still won't be happy until aonuma is torn from the series, and thrown in prison, however this is a little uplifting. If only they don't create an overly large overworld with barely anything to do in it. Basically every 3d zelda has been guilty of this, except MAYBE Majora's Mask
>>
>>332320180
I don't trust them, but I'm still hopeful. It can't be that bad, even the worst Zelda game has some great parts and ideas.
>>
>>332320380
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda 2: Link's Adventure
The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
>>
I was planning to buy it in a few days.

Should I play LttP first, or does it not matter?
>>
>>332320180

Didn't know that. It's still a "I'll believe it when I see it" deal.
>>
>>332320180
Skyward Sword minus the hand holding was great
>>
>>332317508
I don't play Spin-off Zelda's
>>
>Non linear progression means you've seen everything as soon as you enter Lorule
>Dungeons take like 20 minutes because Nintendo has this weird idea that people will want to play for a shorter amount of time since its on 3DS.
>>
>>332321130
You'll like ALBW more if you haven't played LttP first since the map layout is the same and it'll be fresher for you, but you'll also miss the references and callbacks. Your call.
>>
>>332321130
It doesn't matter
If you haven't played ALTTP you'd probably like it more (because you won't be able to compare)

Just make sure you don't play them one after the other, they're very similiar.
>>
>>332319993
>its bad
>it cant be that bad
[spoilers]it is
>>
>>332321858
20-25 minutes is the ideal length for a dungeon. Anything more feels like a slog.

Also you're forgetting that this game has the most dungeons in a Zelda game since LttP in 1991.
>>
>>332320180

I dont believe that pic for a second.

They're gonna casualize it again and make it piss easy. Thats what they do now.

But I still have no idea why they dont simply have an "Easy, Normal, Hard" mode for Zelda.. it would please everyone that way.
>>
>>332321858
20 minute dungeons is fine by me as long as there's a ton of dungeons.
>>
>>332322163
>But I still have no idea why they dont simply have an "Easy, Normal, Hard" mode for Zelda..
Except they do, retard. Hero Mode has been selectable from the start in ALBW, WW HD and TP HD. You take double damage and don't get health pickups.
>>
>>332321923
>>332321967

Thanks. I think I'll play ALBW first and then just play LttP some time later on.
>>
>>332320180
>and wants the next Zelda to be like Zelda 1 with no handholding and more exploration
Which is complete bullshit, since he hates Zelda 1 and dies to Octoroks.

>>332322520
>Hero Mode has been selectable from the start in ALBW
It wasn't.
>>
>>332317508
Pretty forgettable.

Yet people keep creaming themselves over it. Must be stockholm syndrome flarin' up.
>>
>>332322163
I think they've actually tried to increase the difficulty as of late, while still attempting to bridge the gap. See the optional power-ups from Nintendo's Wii U games.
>>
>dying means the game is good
The game IS good but not because it's hard. Because it's not.
>>
I love how the only defense of this garbage is that it's better than recent Zelda games.
Being better than fucking Phantom Hourglass doesn't make you a good game.
>>
>>332317508

Dungeon design is all lame because they have to assume you only have the item for that dungeon and shit gets bland. Except the final dungeon, which was fucking GREAT.

There's no appropriate sense of progression because you can do shit is almost any order, so the whole thing felt like an unchanging slog. Reusing the overworld from LttP was lazy and uninteresting.

Music was fucking 11/10. Characters were fun.

I give it a non-commital 7/10
>>
>>332318745

Yes. I died many more times in SS and ST than in LBW
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.