[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Hideki Kamiya, famed Japanese video game developer, gave
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: 1220410-0joe4.jpg (72 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
1220410-0joe4.jpg
72 KB, 900x600
>Hideki Kamiya, famed Japanese video game developer, gave an exclusive interview with IGN regarding his popular Viewtiful Joe series (translated from Japanese). In particular, we wanted to know: whatever happened to Viewtiful Joe 3?
>"With any series, be it movies or video games or anything else, the producers and investors have opinions. This isn't a bad thing by itself. The bad part comes in when they try to tell you their opinions. Viewtiful Joe was popular and famous, but it made no money. This was good enough for me, but not for the people who actually pay to make the game."
>"For the third game in the series, they wanted it to sell a lot of copies, so I consented to hear some of their ideas. I don't really remember all of them, but they were so awful that when I refused to even consider them, they told me I wouldn't get funding for another game. I told them 'okay.' This is why Joe never finished his series. You might be disappointed at this, but I promise it was for the best."
>"The first person told me that talking animals test well with the under-14 demographic, and that colorful and stylized games also test well with the under-14 demographic, so he wanted a third playable character, in addition to Joe and Sylvia, to be a talking dog. Since Joe uses his fists and Sylvia guns, he suggested the dog would use a sword in its mouth. I told him I would consider it as a boss at the absolute most. I was lying."
>>
>"The only suggestion I honestly considered was basing a level on the 'Scary Movie' franchise, which even back then in 2007 was very popular, except because that franchise is so stupid and one-dimensional, the level would just be a cheap-looking set with people referencing pop culture, and all of the pop culture would be Capcom games, and there would be no jokes at any point in the level. I thought was actually sort of clever. In retrospect, I think I wouldn't have done it, though, because [Scary Movie] is much less popular in Japan."
>"At one point, someone insisted we base a level on Paranormal Activity, which back then was at the height of its popularity, and the level would be set in a haunted house while the player is implied to be a couple watching Joe and Sylvia via cameras they set up throughout the level. I said this idea was stupid."
>"One person felt acting is an important part of movies, so for a game satirizing movies, it should be an important part of this as well. He told me that our third game should have a famous voice actor play the villain, and market it heavily. He told me some options, but the only one I remember was 'That American with the scratchy voice, the English-language video game crowd loves him.'" (Editor's Note: This is probably referring to David Hayter of Metal Gear Solid fame)
>"After hours of suggestions like these, I told them to let me make the game my way or to pull the plug on the franchise. I don't have to tell you which they chose."
>>
>>332077429
Why not just link the article?
>>
>>332077527
Because it's not real.
>>
>>332077672
I know that. Hence me asking.
>>
>>332077751
So you're asking him why he didn't link to a fake article? Are you serious?
>>
>>332077829
Wow what kind of situation is he putting the OP in, asking for something he can't possibly deliver?
>>
>>332077829
I think he was trying to prove his point with the resulting lack of article linking...
>>
>>332077914
>>332077914
>>332077969
It was a clumsy attempt at being witty or clever.
>>
>>332077429
>Viewtiful Joe was popular and famous, but it made no money

Meaning, it wasn't popular and famous.
>>
>>332077829
This is the proper thing to do, and the normal thing to do on /v/ of all places.
You dont just call fake, you prove your point first.
I didnt even read this article, but Paranormal Activity? I'm pretty sure Clover as a whole died before that movie came out
>>
>>332078128
>You dont just call fake, you prove your point first.
No. You just call it a dumb fake thread and make jokes about how /v/ is about to discuss a fake article for 250 posts.
>>
>>332078039
I think you're referring to your own post.
Stop being so defensive.
>>
>>332077429
>Viewtiful Joe was popular and famous, but it made no money.

First off, that means it wasn't popular and famous.

Second of all, VJ did exactly that. It had multiple games and even an anime series. It was the only Clover IP that wasn't a flop.
>>
>>332078068
Not true. Plenty of things are popular without being profitable.
>>
>>332078321
>First off, that means it wasn't popular and famous
Man, so many people drunk on the capitalist koolaid that they really can't separate the concepts of "popular" and "profitable".
>>
>>332078350
If it doesn't make money, it isn't popular. Being "popular" to a small niche of neckbeard autists is not being popular.
>>
>>332078562
t. Goldberg Silverstein
>>
>>332078464
If something is popular then you expect it to be profitable.

If it's somehow popular with an extremely large group of people but not making money , then there's a problem. If your audience is small and niche, then that isn't popular, especially if you need a much bigger audience for it to make money and that product can't reach them.
>>
>>332078562
There are things that are popular that don't make much money though.
People will have discusssions, criticism, and more about these things but wont put the effort to spending their money onto things. It happens especially with games with a negative reception, and also controversial games that spark interest but isn't worth the amount of money in the eyes of the consumer- like Bayonetta 2 being exclusive to Wii U
>>
>>332077436
alright I know there is no source but even so
>2007
>Kamiya left Capcom in 2006
>Capcom needing the approval of Kamiya for any sequel when they made DMC2
>>
>>332078980
>There are things that are popular that don't make much money though

Name 3 products on the shelves which match this
>>
File: 1458299823332.jpg (403 KB, 1000x853) Image search: [Google]
1458299823332.jpg
403 KB, 1000x853
>>332077429
>so he wanted a third playable character, in addition to Joe and Sylvia, to be a talking dog. Since Joe uses his fists and Sylvia guns, he suggested the dog would use a sword in its mouth.

But this would have been great.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.