[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this one of the most under appreciated games of the last few
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: the_evil_within_game-HD.jpg (527 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the_evil_within_game-HD.jpg
527 KB, 1920x1080
Is this one of the most under appreciated games of the last few years?

It was atmospheric, had a solid level of difficulty, cool weapons, scary and unsettling at times and just action-packed in others. Controls were a bit wonky, but overall that was outweighed by the good. Anyone else?
>>
I wish this game would've made up its mind about what it wanted to be. From the very beginning I was expecting a stealth / avoid enemies focused experience.

I was a bit let down when chapter 3 came around. At first I thought that the way to complete the chapter was to bait the chainsaw guy to cut the chain for me, but instead I had to simply shoot the guy.

Other than that, the shooting feels great and there are many creative ways to complete areas.

I personally loved the Laura sections, the Mansion, and the first encounter with The Keeper the most. Probably because they felt the most tense for me.
>>
>>332019262
It's doesn't stray away from what it is after that point, though. Which is good because fuck stealth.

Game's art direction is on par with Souls games. Great shooting, and interesting plot once you play the DLC.

Looking forward to a sequel.
>>
>>332020178
>Looking forward to a sequel
That'd be really nice, but I'd also like to see some new IPs from Tango. I really want Shigenori Nishikawa, the director of MadWorld to direct a game for Tango.

Here's an interview concerning Shinji's development with Capcom and Tango.
http://evilwithin.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=252

It didn't really seem like Shinji wanted to make the game in the first place.
>>
File: FhLtPtO.gif (2 MB, 320x165) Image search: [Google]
FhLtPtO.gif
2 MB, 320x165
>get this game on release
>black bars literally cover 1/3 of the screen, camera so close to my character I can't even fucking see in front of me
>completely stop playing
>they fixed this
>time to finish it
>>
It feels really messy. I don't even know why theres a stealth system when its barely even used past the first few chapters. Levels seem to just kinda end whenever the game gets bored. It can't seem to decide whether it wants to be actual survival horror, Resident Evil 4, or Resident Evil 6.
It also seems to run like shit on every platform, even on the lowest settings on the PC version the game liked to randomly decide it didn't want to be played anymore and would shit itself.
>>
>>332021354
>It can't seem to decide whether it wants to be actual survival horror, Resident Evil 4, or Resident Evil 6.
that's what bothered me. this game has a serious identity crisis
>>
fucking loved it. would be really nice to see a (more polished) sequel.
>>
is it still shit on pc or were there some fixes? last time i played there was locked frame rate and locked aspect ratio and shit
>>
>>332022371
fixed
>>
I really enjoyed Evil Within but a lot of the complaints I see are pretty warranted.
>>
I dunno, the people that do like it seem to really like it but it's understandably divisive. The difficulty straddles a thin line between stiff and unfair (entirely dependent on how gud you are), its aesthetics, characters, and storytelling all have a hit or miss execution, and it's unabashedly "video gamey" in a time where that's apparently a bad thing. I personally love TEW but I'm surprised a publisher like Bethesda took a chance on it as it's very, very inaccessible.
>>
>>332017960
great timing OP, I literally bought this 5 mins ago and it's currently downloading
>>
The only game I've ever actually gotten in my car, drove to game stop, and sold back to them for less than 1/3 price just to rid my home of this abomination. Seriously bad game.
>>
>>332022751
This is a very fair description. The plot was also a total mess on par with early RE/SH games, and I loved it for all of those reasons. It was really a spiritual successor to the 90s horror games. It's disappointing to know that it will never see a sequel because I had a full on blast with it.
>>
>>332023012

I wouldn't say never, as it apparently sold decently well. I think a sequel could get greenlit if Mikami wanted to do it, and considering the game's cliffhanger ending I doubt there's zero desire on his end to continue it, especially since the end of the Kidman DLCs potentially give Sebastian some much needed relevance.
>>
>make one single peep
>onslaught of enemies rush you
>2 bolts because muh crafting
>rekt

I just didn't like it
>>
>>332023706
git gud
>>
>>332022751
I'd agree with this, you can tell this very easily could have been a zombie concept, someone on the team said, "Isn't that over done? What
about evil/possessed people?".

It doesn't bring anything new to the table, I never felt a sense of danger with how much ammo there is/how strong the bow was.

Some bosses were complete horseshit, proceeded by mowing down basic bitch enemies, back into another boss.

It wasn't a terrible game, but I wouldn't recommend it over the likes of Resident Evil
>>
>>332025303

I thought the ammo was pretty well balanced, actually. Sure, enemies drop some if you're really low but it's almost never more than 4 bullets, and that's if you're lucky. And I always saw the bow as a panic button of sorts, a weapon to get you out of tight spots but not one you can coast on because of how limited scrap parts were; even if you managed to scrounge up 20 scrap parts for free use, that's hardly enough for a half dozen arrows and that's at maximum thriftiness. Careless use might net you only 4 or 5 arrows, tops. The bow's powerful but it's pretty limited by ammo.
>>
>>332023458
I didn't play the DLCs, but I feel like given the negative feedback we won't get a sequel, and if we do we'll get a cherrypick of the negative responses that change the game structure entirely, like everything videogames for the last decade.
>>
No. Mikami went out like a fucking chump and it hurts to this day.
>>
>>332026931

It didn't review too poorly outside of the PC version either. I'd say TEW was overall fairly liked despite some negative feedback. And the DLCs are definitely worth playing for the story's sake. They're more stealth oriented but Kidman's a more important character than Sebastian is. If anything, she should've been the main protagonist and Sebastian should've been DLC.
>>
No it gets due credit everywhere.

No one ever talks about this game highly, they say it's decent and deserves a play.
>>
>>332027554

I tend to speak of it pretty highly, in particular I think it's a fine, logical balance between modern AAA game design and classic survival horror mechanics, updating the latter to behave nicely with the former. It's less a return to form for survival horror and more of a catch-up, or at least a pretty good attempt at one. That said, I acknowledge its flaws and that it's not a game for everyone either. But I personally thought it was quite fantastic.
>>
Resident Evil 6 was better.
Fight me.
>>
>>332027554
It gets less credit than RE4 despite being the better game.
>>
My personal GotY 2014 and replaced Resident Evil 4 on my top ten games

Really underappreciated game. Needs to be played on nightmare or akumu to be fully enjoyed
>>
>>332028179
>>332028274

I thought I was the only one that liked TEW more than RE4. Glad to see I'm not entirely insane.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.